Grand Prix 3 or 4

Posted by miketmbt 
Re: Grand Prix 3 or 4
Date: October 25, 2005 07:13PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
I have both... and I play GP3 a lot more.

I find it more realistic.
Date: October 25, 2005 08:04PM
Posted by: rocker
zeppelin101,

I see your point but I don't agree with it.

If GP4 is more difficult to edit, so it's a point for GP3. It's a feature that GP4 don't have, at least now. We have more tracks for GP3 it's a fact.

But I think that even above this GP4 is better, and it's 'cause it's newer, newer technology and etc.

--------------------------------------------
Rocker
Date: October 25, 2005 08:48PM
Posted by: zeppelin101
No, what I meant was that it takes more skill to edit GP4, which means that although there are a number of talented people working on both games, GP4 certainly has people who excel themselves, whether they have just joined a community and are showing some of their work, or have been around for ages.

Take intweb's williams as an example.
Date: October 25, 2005 10:06PM
Posted by: -qwerty-
To be fair though, we've got the legend that is the Smoking Pen, and had Jan F, Ralph H for years too, not to mention calimbo's stuff now :)

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: October 25, 2005 10:37PM
Posted by: Colin
I too amm a sworn GP3 fan - I also think that if we all get together AND using the myriad of downloads for this game we could put together enough Tech to turn GP3 into lets say GP5????
Just a thought
Colin
Date: March 05, 2006 11:28AM
Posted by: nvooght
i have both but i prefere gp3 loads more not sure y but i love it my best game
Date: March 05, 2006 05:14PM
Posted by: Brianf666
I think of it like real cars. GP4 is like driving a Toyota Coupe. GP3 is like driving a Caterham 7 (if you don't know what that is, google it). The Toyota is faster and slicker. You'll be tweaking and "fixing" the Caterham more than driving it. But Oh is it FUN! I have GP4 and as soon as good editors are available I'll consider switching my main attention (after college, work, family etc) Oh, and something better than my 32k dialup connection would help with GP4's giant downloads.

True, we GP3 fans miss the best graphics but isn't it supposed to be about the gameplay? My first full distance run at Barhain in '06 spec ended with 6 sec covering the first three finishers and 7 changes of lead. I only wish F1 was as exciting!
Date: March 06, 2006 07:32PM
Posted by: vbc
Brianf666 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think of it like real cars. GP4 is like driving
> a Toyota Coupe. GP3 is like driving a Caterham 7
> (if you don't know what that is, google it). The
> Toyota is faster and slicker. You'll be tweaking
> and "fixing" the Caterham more than driving it.

I personally play GP3 because it feel more real than GP4, not because I edit the car to drive it, I like the deafult physics, you have to do a great driving to get real laptimes, which is great, most of the times it is not possible to do it, just look to the gp3 records, those drivers are great and were able to close his laptimes to the real ones, then it is realistic for me.
GP4 car is easier to drive and it seems to be glued to the ground, even without tc is difficult to make it spin, and you improve real F1 laptimes without much skill lol.

I think GP4 is great to take screenshoots and see races from the outside view, and GP3 was made to use only the cockpit view, to feel the real racing.
Date: March 06, 2006 08:33PM
Posted by: Lo2k
As this thread is arising again and I now have a sight to the GP3 forum from times to times, I would like to clarify one or two things if possible because I just read all this thread and saw many sentences that sound simply wrong.

Car Physics:
physics engine is the same in GP3 and GP4. Best proof is that Audrey Windle Physics Editor is the same for both game (there are two versions because informations are not in the same place in both exe).

Car (Graphics) Editability:
In GP4, you can model a full 3D car from any 3d program and this for every 22 cars running on the grid. But nothing prevent you from using a single carshape as template for all cars, like with GP3.

Misc settings:
When I started to create tools for GP4, I decided to build tools that could be as effective and as powerfull as GP3. Using tools like TeamEditor or Carset Creator, you will be able to do all that GP3Edit was able to and even more.

Tracks:
I could write for hours about it, I will just say the most important.
Belini is welcome to create Tracks for GP4, tools are ready to let him fully reproduce every single detail of the real tracks.
Anyhow, for those who like to use what's ready, I agree that GP3 is more furnished for now.
But I would like to say something to (GP3) track makers:
How many time do you need to create a track ? and with how many constraints (texture quality, ribbons count limit, object details...) ?
In GP4, all you have to do is to create the .dat. It could be done in realtime with mouse handling and you can create whole portions of the layout at once. Once the track is finished, you can create a true wysiwyg cc-line in just some minutes (would save your life for GP3, no ?). And once the .dat is ready, you can create all the GP4 files needed for graphics in one clic. Yep, the whole .dat is converted in 3D graphics in 1 clic, ready for further enrichment, new objects and textures.
All of this in a full 3d realtime tool.
As you can see, we're far from the old (but good for its time) Track Editor.
Some modders are coming to tracks for GP4 and for those who want to see a full new fantasy track, just have a look at the new Pasargada one by Gildoorf.

I was a bit crude in this post and I understand some people are really liking GP3 a lot, but GP4 has more than you think I do believe :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2006 09:28PM by Lo2k.
Date: March 06, 2006 08:40PM
Posted by: Sapo
One question then, why is it so much easier to drive a car without spinning in gp4 than in gp3 while the physics are the same? (It's about the same difference as between gp3 and gp2, gp2 was just so hard to drive, gp4 is in comparison with that so easy)
Date: March 06, 2006 09:20PM
By default, physics settings are not the same as GP3 reproduces 1998/2000 season and GP4 2001 one. But physics engine is afaik the same.
So I believe that if you copy GP3 settings in GP4, you would have a handling very close in both games.

Date: March 07, 2006 03:32AM
Posted by: JackiMatra
Someone extracted the GP4 physics for use in GP3.
They're probably somewhere on this website.

Load them up in GP3 and see how it drives then.
(Just like GP4, natch.)
Date: March 07, 2006 05:55AM
Posted by: belini
gp4/gp32k are very similar, in fact because gp4 took so long to
load the gp4 grip patch was developed using gp32k, probably
95% is still shared regarding the running of the sim, but 5% can
make a big difference.

although the physics don't look that different from gp4 to gp32k
there's quite a difference the way they're managed in the exe.
a lot of this is to do with the slipstreaming although overtaking
is still too easy in gp4.

when experimenting with the belini patches I tried using gp4 physics
and patched the exe with exactly the same values as gp4, I wasn't
surprised when it didn't work the same, the current belini patch go's
a little deeper to create a more realistic slipstreaming effect.

personally gp4 is a the best sim overall, the graphics are great, some
really nice touches with the pitcrews etc, the cars look great, even
though most of the time all you us see when racing is the rear end.
but for me the gp4 car feels a little detached from the track, which is
why I returned to gp32k and try to recreate the great tracks of gp4,
best of both worlds:)

best fun gpl :) :) :)

pk

[www.belini.fsnet.co.uk]

Date: March 07, 2006 11:24AM
Well said :)

The fact GP4 split graphical and physical aspects could lead to some differences between the road where cars are physicaly running on and road cars are graphicaly running on if both are not kept up-to-date when one aspect is changed (and it appears to be the case with some original tracks).
But with new tracks, if things are correctly done and both graphics and physics match, things are near perfect (there's still a little error in my code to create accurate banking that could lead to visual differences with very high banking).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2006 11:32AM by Lo2k.
Date: March 07, 2006 05:28PM
After years of playing Gp2, i stepped over on Gp3, wondering how little difference there was, except for the graphics. Even in Gp2 there was an "high or low nose cone" option, but not in Gp3. I also had to play it in software mode, so after a while i was quite disappointed in Gp3's gfx engine, until i was able to play it in hardware mode. Also the original carshapes didn;t look at all like the real 1998 cars, just because the designers were not able to make a shape for every car apart, while EA did it with f1 2000. Still, I absolutely enjoyed Gp3, and was not convinced by GP4, which I had, but never played, because it was unstable and slow.

But now i finally got myself a notebook on which I can play GP4 properly, and i have to admit, the graphics are wonderful, however the driving experience may not be as good as in Gp2 or 3. And with the more complexer cars every year, and more and more different from each other, a shape apart for every car is also a big step forward. In Gp3 the Mp4-21 was still the shape as the ferrari, while being totally different irl.

So: Gp4 above all!
Date: March 07, 2006 06:34PM
Posted by: drafi5
I agree with you, Paul, take the best of both worlds: play GP3 (2k) and GP4, why only
one ? GP4 has made a big progress in track editing, thanks to Laurent (Lo2k) for his
great tools and pioneer work, to all track makers and modders, especially Tony
(b-tone), so you can drive Shanghai, Istanbul Speed Park and great fictional ones.
On the other hand we have the great belini tracks (most for 2k), many many carsets
and tracks, I am proud to keep GP3 alive with my artworks for X_Acto´s carsets.
So take the best you can get of both great racing simulations by Geoff Crammond !

Happy racing from germany !!!
Date: March 07, 2006 06:43PM
Posted by: RAR
pues yo creo que si gp4 fuera mas facil de editar seria tal ves mejor que gp3

ha por cierto no he podido conseguir grand prix 3 2000 en colombia si alguien sabe ma avisa

please i need gp3 2000
thanks
Date: March 07, 2006 08:58PM
RAR Wrote:
> pues yo creo que si gp4 fuera mas facil de editar
> seria tal ves mejor que gp3
>
>
> ha por cierto no he podido conseguir grand prix 3
> 2000 en colombia si alguien sabe ma avisa
>
> please i need gp3 2000
> thanks

Absoluut een goed punt denk ik. :P

Date: March 08, 2006 12:38PM
Posted by: Bruce D
I'm always amused by people arguing over physics. The only way any of us could tell if the phyics were correct or not was if we actually drove the damn cars ourselves! As none of us do...

But I've always felt that GP3 felt better to me. GP4's cars feel boring to drive to me. And overtaking is way too easy in GP4.

I just love the "dogfights" you can get into in GP3 with even the AI cars. I was driving the other night on the Big City 2004 track (a brilliant track I might add!) and spent a whole 20 lap race fighting it out.

I get tired of waiting for all these damn mods in GP4, its just ridiculous how long they take to make, because of the level of detail that has to be done on them.

@Lo2K - if track making in GP4 is so easy why is it taking so long for guys to just modify existing tracks, let alone create new ones.
Date: March 08, 2006 01:36PM
Bruce D Wrote:
> I'm always amused by people arguing over physics.
> The only way any of us could tell if the phyics
> were correct or not was if we actually drove the
> damn cars ourselves! As none of us do...
>
> But I've always felt that GP3 felt better to me.
> GP4's cars feel boring to drive to me. And
> overtaking is way too easy in GP4.
>

That's where the whole arguing is about hey :P You say it yourself, gp3 feels better than gp4.

Another flaw of Gp3, why weren't they able to even get the cars a T-cam?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy