Your driving style

Posted by bestobritish 
Your driving style
Date: June 17, 2004 10:18PM
Posted by: bestobritish
i was thinkin the other day while driving eraticly as massa :-D how would every1 describe thier driving style and which driver are they like?

2 be honest i think im pretty quick but i make alot of mistakes like Sato i guess. i always have the car stopped in a straight line b4 the apex but im always really impatient 2 get on the throttle and i love a car that has the back end sliding very slightly!

p.s. i think ive just talked my way out of never being chosen 2 race in a GP3 league lol

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Your driving style
Date: June 17, 2004 10:53PM
Posted by: ardenasia_kyle
I personally dont really know who to compare myself to. Possible one of the old timers, like Panis, drives kind of cautiously but quick. I like a loose car rather than a car with lots of understeer.

BTW- if you want to drive for a league, contact me, I would be more than happy to have you race for us!
Date: June 17, 2004 11:18PM
Posted by: -qwerty-
I think I'm a bit of a montoya in some ways - I'll go for a gap if I see it, even on impossible corners, usually works out okay tho! :D

Also, I tend to be a late braker - I go quite deep into chicanes before turning in often missing the apex a little, so i lose a little mid corner, but i make up a hell of a lot on exit, so it sets me up well for overtaking.

I guess in brief i'm fast entry, slow mid corner and fast exit :D

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: June 17, 2004 11:22PM
Posted by: MViper
Hm.. Hard to say. I love oversteering and powersliding and i always drive 100% procent, i never calculate or drive "tacticaly", always GO FOR IT, so i make a couple of mistakes [spins].. Around 3-4-5 per 100% race. About overtaking.. I always take my time, drive couple of corners behind the car, waiting for mistake, if not i overtake him on brakeing or from slipstream..

I don't know with who i could be compared.. Maybe with J. Villeneuve :)
Date: June 17, 2004 11:43PM
Posted by: St.Hubbins
Smoothish and relatively steady. No point having the car too twitchy because time is lost that way. There's a fine balance between oversteer and speed and I tend to play just to the side of oversteer. In comparison perhaps Rene Arnoux, or from todays bunch maybe Fernando Alonso.

When overtaking a good knowledge of the tracks can make a big difference. As an example there is little point overtaking just before the second split at Indy. It is more worthwhile to wait until the banking and get a good slipstream through to the end of the lap. More time can be gained this way that the amount lost by following a CC through one corner.

In the wet I am simply slow. Can't stand water.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. -- F.Scott Fitzgerald
Date: June 18, 2004 12:24AM
Posted by: thestarfishpond
Hmm, in stark contrast to St. Hubbins, my car seems to have a nervous disposition at times. I tend to drive with the front of the car and just correct the rear if needs be rather than use it to help my cornering. Also funnily enough I relish the wet-weather, I like the water. I would compare the style of my driving to that of Alesi (who just so happens to be my favourite driver too) which means it occasionally ends in the boonies.

Overtaking wise I guess I do try and jump ahead at the first opportunity, if I get close enough to pass I will, no matter where on track it is, which occasionally leads to incidents.
Date: June 18, 2004 12:39AM
Posted by: Viper-F1.com
This is an interesting topic. I reckon I drive a little like Sato or Montoya, with taking chances, being irratic and wanting to be quick, and things like that, but when I want, I can turn into Button or Coulthard, and drive smoothly for about 10-20 laps. As for car setup, I like a car which can take the kerbs, with a soft suspension setup. I don't like heavy braking, cause I think that really knackers the tyres. For example, I've NEVER won at Monza or the old Hockenheim. Does anyone have a solution for heavy braking points? Let me know.
Date: June 18, 2004 02:06AM
Posted by: Briere
bestobritish Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> p.s. i think ive just talked my way out of never
> being chosen 2 race in a GP3 league lol
>
Dude ! I drive in the F1WGP3L, and my drving style is the same as yours, and I'm in the top 4 of the fastest drivers ! ;)

so dont srop your style, it's the best you could have ;)
Date: June 18, 2004 06:53AM
Posted by: Guimengo
Hehehe, time to glorify myself ;)

I have a mix of different styles...
A bit with Senna, on overtaking and with some daring moves. Also, a bit like Katayama, as the moves sometimes don't work that well, and I end up in the grass :P So I drive like Schumi on his pre-fueling lap, catch up the drivers ahead, and go completely opposite to him on patience ;)
I try to overtake as soon as I see some slight chance, almost never (notice the almost ;)) try to overtake in impossible places, sometimes I give up something somewhere to get it back a few corners ahead, like a couple of drivers (but I rather only say Senna :P).

And I can't say I am smooth...I'm on keyboard, always tapping the < and > keys, hahaha.
Date: June 18, 2004 06:55AM
Date: June 18, 2004 06:56AM
Posted by: Guimengo
Great answer :P
Date: June 18, 2004 06:57AM
I know ;)
Date: June 18, 2004 08:24PM
Posted by: The Lopper
I'll resist the temptation to liken myselph to Senna, but i am always trying daring moves, never satisphied with second, when sometimes i would be better oph just slowing down. A bit like Verstappen too, taking phar too much kerb.

Phor braking, i always brake while turning into the corner, and i am crazy at chicanes, like the Variante Alta at Imola, which i have taken in 4th, just about getting away with it.
Date: June 18, 2004 08:26PM
Posted by: harjinator
I reckon I'm like Gilles Villeneuve, always pushing the car, even with 3 wheels and no wings, which quite often happens...
Date: September 18, 2004 07:06PM
Posted by: CU
I care about the car during the race. Once i'm in the lead I don't rev the engine too much. always change gear between 14000-15000 not too much in the red zone. All because I'm now driving my own carriere starting at 2000 and driving for a not very reliable team: Jordan - MugenHonda.
Date: September 18, 2004 09:59PM
Posted by: vbc
I always try not to get oversteer nor understeer, for me there is not a big important part in the setup, everything into it has the same importance, I like to work hard in antiroll bars and spring to get good grip after corners.

In the track , I try to study the best line first, then according to the setup I am using, build the best line for me in my mind and then go without braking hard in corners, during a race it makes your wheels to lose grip, dring qualifying sessions sometimes I brake hard only if it is necessary.
I like make races than only one lap, there you can see how your are driving, if you get similar laptimes, it means you are doing things well, of course, those laptimes have to be fast.
During 100% race, it is great to start from P22 and try to get into the podium, and why not win the race, but I am too carefull when passing other car, even if it is a direct rival or a slow one.

Whatever your driving style is, you have to feel good wit it and to improve always, there are not limits about it :)

Thanks GP3Hotlaps

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2004 10:02PM by vbc.
Date: September 18, 2004 10:53PM
Posted by: The Lopper
Ohmigod, the drivin style thread res-erected, ah the good old days when my f button was brkoe
Date: September 19, 2004 12:18AM
Posted by: matthew13666
i'm like Bruni i'm wild and all over the road. Although unlike Bruni i can finish races and don't blame my car for a bad run if it's my fault.
Date: September 19, 2004 01:42AM
Posted by: Priddo
Im like the early 2004 Sato. Im always on the limit, And occasionaly i'll make the slightest mistake and lose alot of time. When it comes to overtaking, i just go straight for it. I can't handle being stuck behind another car that im faster then. Even if im only really the same speed i'll just go braking very late down the inside and pary i don't keep going straight when the corner arrives.
Date: September 19, 2004 12:39PM
Posted by: Truely Mikey
im like montoya in a way. not the cleanest and safest of drivers but im quickish :D

'And theres the barrichello wobble'- Martin Brundle
Foo Fighters 10th Anniversary - 17/10/04
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy