Motorsport in the Olympics

Posted by msater 
Motorsport in the Olympics
Date: August 21, 2008 04:27PM
Posted by: msater
Hi,

I don't know if this is in the right place, but hey.

Who thinks they should have motorsport in the Olympics? It would be a great spectacle, and nearly every countty in the world has some kind of race track, so no money spent there.

Who agrees with me?

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2008 07:18PM by msater.
Re: Motorsport in the Olympics
Date: August 21, 2008 05:42PM
Posted by: IWE
I agree atleast partly. It is atleast as much sport as shooting or any "sport" where winner is desided only by people who are giving points by "style" or "tecnics".

On the other hand I dont give a @#$%& even if it wud become olympic sport, because I dont care about olympics at all. And it would get too much critics from every direction.

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Date: August 22, 2008 10:14AM
Posted by: super__alonso
It would be a good idea. They could se A1GP cars but they'll have to be a track for them to use of course!!

I wouldn't get used to "Hamilton crosses the line for a gold medal"

Won't happen though.
Date: August 22, 2008 01:02PM
Posted by: sasjag
i was discussing this teh other day, the problem is the olympics are slap bang in teh middle of almost every racing season, so it will never happen

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2008 01:03PM by sasjag.
Date: August 22, 2008 02:22PM
Posted by: jbnd05
There are a few reasons why not. Firstly, F1 drivers don't take part in ana amateur sport, which is what the Olympics are mainly all about. However, tennis and basketball arent amateur sports at Olympic level so...
The main objection of the IOC iirc is that the driver would be assisted by the car. However, showjumpers can't jump without a horse, and you can't play tennis without a racquet.

Date: August 22, 2008 02:26PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
The Olympics can no longer claim to be an amatuer sport. You have professional sportsmen/women everywhere. Just because they are not being paid for this 1 event, doesn't mean they are not professional.

It was also never stated that it had to be F1 drivers.

If equipment is a factor then equipment in all events should be removed. If setup is a factor, then ban the changing of setups. IROC did this in 1974 with the Porsche 911 IROC. Completely level ground.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: August 22, 2008 03:51PM
Posted by: mcdo
Imagine the license fee Bernie would demand of the IOC.
Date: August 22, 2008 04:02PM
Posted by: Iceman-Kimi
Just send a standard car up there, no one uses to race, invite the best 3 from f1 on a certain date, invite the best 3 of dtm on a certain date, invite best 3 from irl from a certain date, and so it goes on, would be interesting :P

Date: August 22, 2008 04:36PM
Posted by: gav
mcdo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Imagine the license fee Bernie would demand of the
> IOC.

It would have nothing to do with F1, so what's Bernie got to do with it?
Date: August 22, 2008 11:37PM
Posted by: sasjag
Iceman-Kimi Wrote:
> Just send a standard car up there, no one uses to
> race, invite the best 3 from f1 on a certain date,
> invite the best 3 of dtm on a certain date, invite
> best 3 from irl from a certain date, and so it
> goes on, would be interesting :P

so...ROC ? :P

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: August 22, 2008 11:42PM
Posted by: Iceman-Kimi
well

yes ;)

Date: August 23, 2008 04:04AM
Posted by: Racer#73
Surely it would make the Games more interesting. However, A1GP already puts various countries racing against each other. On the other hand, making motorsports part of the Olympics could bring more countries to the series. For example, it could bring Spain, Finland, etc... countries that were never in a A1GP season, or bring back Japan, Austria, etc....

The competition could take part in one track of the country hosting the Games. Like, Shangai for this year's Olympics, and the teams, lets say, could have four drivers, and each one runs one race. At the end of the races the teams gets points according to their finishing order. At the end, the team with most points wins the gold medal. It's basically like what happens in sail, isn't it?

The other option could be a 24h race.

The problem with having F1 drivers participating in it is because F1 teams don't let their drivers run in other races outside F1. I guess this happens since the early 90's.

It's been a long time ago, but I think that in 1992 the Moto GP race held at Barcelona was named as the Olympic GP, but since I was 7 years old at the time i might have confused it by the European GP (lol). But then again (since I'm Portuguese), there's a big difference in pronunciation between "Olimpico" e "Europeu".

Cheers.
Date: August 23, 2008 08:36AM
However, A1GP already puts various countries racing against each other.

It doesn't though. Most of the cars are prepared by Brits, in the UK. It is also quite expensive.

ROC style would be the way to go.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: August 23, 2008 09:02AM
Posted by: msater
i thought of maybe time trial, like, having britain go round, then france, until every country was complete

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Date: August 24, 2008 02:32AM
Posted by: Racer#73
DaveEllis Wrote:
> However, A1GP already puts various countries
> racing against each other.
>
> It doesn't though. Most of the cars are prepared
> by Brits, in the UK. It is also quite expensive.
>
> ROC style would be the way to go.

When I said various countries i meant drivers from various countries representing their countries.

ROC style would be like in the soccer tournament the national teams being formed by players from that specific country's league, and not necessarily by players from that country. Do you know what I mean?

Speaking in ROC, I think ROC should go back to a big kart meeting at the end of the season, like it used happen until circa 15 years ago at Bercy in Paris. Create a street course inside of a city and make it a superkart race, or instead of making a rally track inside of Wembley or St Dennis stadium create a kart track. That would be more interesting than the current format, IMO
Date: August 24, 2008 01:26PM
Posted by: Ferrari_Fuhrer
They could have a race around London during rush hour...

[Website]
Date: August 24, 2008 01:50PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
yes, maybe a race between boat, bike, car and public transport a la top gear ;)

anyway, i dont see why motorsport couldn't get into the olympics. they have bmx and other obscure sports, so i think it could enter. they could have a few different classes, bikes, open wheeler, touring cars, rally etc. like they do with the sailing. having said that, i dont think it will enter the games.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: August 27, 2008 07:50AM
Posted by: Guimengo
Motorsports don't have a purpose or room in the Olympics
Date: August 27, 2008 08:26AM
None of the sports have a "purpose" in the Olympics. Infact, sport has no purpose at all.

Motorsports is also more deserving of a place in the Olympics than some of the crap that is in there.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: August 27, 2008 12:00PM
Posted by: J i m
I don't think there is any need for motorsport in the Olympics.

And it there were, then I'd have though by far away the easiest and cost effective way of achieving it would be around go-karts.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy