DOS Box

Posted by Go Alesi 
DOS Box
Date: March 15, 2011 09:09PM
Posted by: Go Alesi
Hi,

I felt like giving GP2 a whirl the other day, so I got it working using DOS box. Although I have the original CD still, I just downloaded a version that came pre-packaged with DOS box, as my CD would not start (it gave me an error about the wrong version of windows).

Anyway, I want to run a simple .exe. that allows you to turn off steering help for keyboard. When I run the .exe it just gives me the error about the wrong version of windows. I am sure you could run it using DOS box, but I can't figure out how. I've read the readme, but I don't seem to have the installation folder for DOS box that the readme talks about, and even then, I can't work out what to type to run the .exe. There must be a simple command I type in DOX box to do it!

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Re: DOS Box
Date: March 15, 2011 09:31PM
Posted by: mortal
afaik you cannot disable steering help with a keyboard. You need a wheel then you can do it. Get a wheel, a whole new game. :-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: March 15, 2011 09:51PM
Posted by: Go Alesi
I'm not using a wheel for GP2. I have a wheel - I cannot set it up, though.

You can disable steering help, I downloaded a utility for it from grandprix2.de . Just as I believe you can disable steering help with a keyboard in GP4 (from memory, doesn't GP4 Tweaker do it). YOu cna't with Gp3 though - for some reason, nobbody made a util for that.

Date: March 15, 2011 10:54PM
Posted by: quickslick
why not trying d-fend reloaded? it's way better then dos box ;)
Date: April 19, 2011 08:21PM
Posted by: georgibg
Go Alesi what is the name of this file?

BTW: I can tell you many things for DOSBOX its very easy and even I can make for you shortcuts for your game. Alternative is D Fend but I do not like it.

So if you want to run a game from cd see this:

Z:\>MOUNT D D:\ -t cdrom
MSCDEX installed.
Drive D is mounted as CDRom D:\
(Note: "cdrom" is case sensitive and must be lowercase!)
In this example, D:\ -T cdrom tells DOSBox that my D:\ drive is a CD-ROM drive, and the first D, tells DOSBox what my new drive name should be called. If you are running your game off a CD-ROM then make sure to use D: in place of C: in the following examples. You can find instructions on how to mount other devices, such as floppy drives, in the mount section).
After you've done this, you will be prompted with a Z:\>. Now, just write what you wanted to call your new DOSBox drive, which as I said above, we called C. To navigate to that newly mounted drive just type in:
Z:\>C:

C:\>
Hopefully, you're all set! Now, it's time to run the game. Previously I had mentioned a game called TESTDRIV in my OLDGAMES folder. I now want DOSBox to go to that folder. So type in:
C:\>CD TESTDRIV

C:\TESTDRIV>
That's it! CD stands for "Change Directory", so you've changed the directory to TESTDRIV. You can find instructions on how to use the Change Directory command, in the CD section of the Commands article.
One more step, running the game! Most games have an EXE file in their directory that you can run. However, some might require a BAT file, or COM file (common in demos and really old games). Most of the time, the file is in the root folder. Please consult the documentation of your game for which file is needed to start the game. In the case of Test Drive, it's TDCGA.EXE. So now, I just type this:
C:\TESTDRIV>TDCGA.EXE

The old classics will be always better than the newest games.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy