rFactor x GP4

Posted by jucksman 
rFactor x GP4
Date: June 04, 2010 06:33PM
Posted by: jucksman
Hello!

I've been a GP4 player for years and I've been thinking about trying my hand at rFactor too. Since I've never played it, I thought maybe someone could help me with answers for a few questions about the game:

1. Is Rfactor a good simulator compared to GP4?
2. Is Rfactor AI good enough for me to race offline, or is it good only for online play?
3. Is rFactor easy to update?
4. What are Rfactor's pros and cons?

Thanks a lot!
Re: rFactor x GP4
Date: June 04, 2010 09:41PM
Posted by: Guimengo
1. Yes
2. It will only be good if the mod comes with specific AI and specific setups so the AI can use the proper setups for each track
3. Quite
4. Pros: mods, tracks, mods.... Cons: quality of mods, quality of tracks, offline with poor AI, no changing weather, track is either dry or wet (no rain, just wet)
Date: June 07, 2010 02:34AM
Posted by: ROBITUSSIN JR.
So I am in kinda the same boat as jucksman but the only thing holding my hand is if it's worth buying the game now or should I wait for RF2?
Date: June 07, 2010 04:26AM
If I could I'd go back in time and not buy the game. To be honest, GTR 2 + Richard Burns Rally + GPL should take care of all racing needs. Before anyone mentions iRacing, I am not including this subscription-based game in this list for obvious monetary and tangible reasons.
Date: June 07, 2010 08:08PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
1: Yes. The handling is great especially avec wheel.
2: No, my personal experience of the AI is terrible. The cars simply ignore that you're there at all.
3: Yes very.
4: Realistic handling +
Reasonably good graphics +
Bad frame rate unless you own a monster -
Damage affects handling awesomely +
..... but looks like @#$%& -
No rain -
Non existant AI -
No collision detection on open-wheeled tyres -
Is showing it's age -
Reasonably priced +
Some very good and very bad mods +/-
Date: June 07, 2010 11:54PM
Posted by: msater
^ But hopefully all the cons that loque has just said will be fixed with rFactor2.

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Date: June 08, 2010 01:56AM
Posted by: ROBITUSSIN JR.
Guimengo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If I could I'd go back in time and not buy the
> game. To be honest, GTR 2 + Richard Burns Rally +
> GPL should take care of all racing needs. Before
> anyone mentions iRacing, I am not including this
> subscription-based game in this list for obvious
> monetary and tangible reasons.

Well the only one I am missing from that list is GPL and luckily for me it's only 10 bucks on Amazon!!!! Also decided to try the Rfactor demo and I didn't like it too much,don't know exactly what it is, but I just like both GTR2 and Iracing physics more. About Iracing, yeah the game is great but $11.95 for cars and $14.95 for tracks is just not good business no matter how you look at it, so even though the game keeps me glued to the chair I won't be subscribing past the first month trial, it's just waaayyy too expensive.
Date: June 08, 2010 08:01AM
Posted by: mortal
I too wish I never bought rFactor, I'm over it. I recently downloaded an F1 mod, only to find I can never get a match online, apparently it's been updated. So where's the update, FFS...... days later I find an update, but I still have mismatches on the tracks, update? No sign of one anywhere, so what's the deal? Who knows, I give up, I've had a gutful of it. Never have I bought such a frustrating game before. I guess it's ok to play online with your mate down the road who you know has EXACTLY the same files you have, but out there in the wide world, it's pretty much a hit and miss affair to get a decent race, that's if you can even get a match. One way would be to join an online league, and then you'd be forced to race to their timetable, and who wants that, I want to have a drive when it suits me, not when it suits someone else. I'm considering buying Race On.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: June 08, 2010 08:54AM
Posted by: Dahie
That's the payoff for the big variety rFactor offers. I agree without, that the whole mismatch and mod-update situation is bad is hopefully addressed in rfactor 2. At CTDP we are very carefull to release versions, because we fear every new version just increases the chance of mismatches.

Yes the AI is troublesome and rFactor is much better for multiplayer. But given this focus, the mismatch-issue is important.
All issues there are, are the result of a free community without technical limits to ensure quality. It takes effort to find and pick the cherrys, but among the fruits are a lot of top-notch mods and tracks. Helping to find those is what rFactorCentral was all about and what SimRaceWay killed and whoever starts now to build a new platform will have the reign when rFactor 2 comes along. 8)

Website | Blog | Twitter | CTDP: Site Blog Twitter
Date: June 13, 2010 02:58PM
Posted by: Ho3n3r
Well I was also reluctant to ger rFactor as I was only intending to play F1 mods, and was of the opinion that the handling would be the same type of thing as GP4, and that the weakest link would be my admittedly cheap steering wheel - as it was with GP4.

With GP4 it was so crap that I never played a single full race with the wheel and pedals.

So, got rFactor this week, started downloading mods, F1 only as this is the only racing type I'm really interested in.

Played a bit with keyboard, which was alright as you also have more control with it in this game compared to GP4.

Thought, maybe I must dust off my steering wheel and see how it feels.

WOW!!! It's just so much more controllable, already did a 58 lap race at Bahrain with Vettel in the 2008 mod, admittedly only 80% AI strength, but the sole purpose of this race anyways was to properly for once get used to my wheel and pedals.

Started out with 1m39-40s for most of my first 2 stints, later in my second stint was late 1m37s to early 1m39s. Last stint was consistently in the 1m36s with what was for me a monster lap of 1m35.6s, which was an adrenaline rush of note. Only had one spin the whole race when I was trying to show off to my fiancee :P

Finished lapping everybody twice in the end, but as I said this race was like a practice run and it got so easy - if you know what I mean, not like driving with my eyes closed, but more like I knew exactly where the perfect braking sports were and my accelerator control was honed in better - to pump in the faster laps that lapping everyone twice became inevitable.

Another thing that I really enjoy was the use of the ENTER key to scroll through the various sceens/options, i.e. damage to pit strategy to gaps to laptimes etc.

The ability to pause and decide and apply your following pitstop specifics is one of the topmost features of the game to me.

Excuse my enthusiasm but that was just such an exhilirating experience. I love this game. I would recommend it to anyone who is considering buying it. That's the way a racing sim is supposed to be.

The only drawback seems to be the AI, which doesn't seem to know the human player is even there, I can pass them without a 'Vettel' move. But it's still awesome other than that.

Also like the fact that my relatively low spec gfx card can play it at Ultra graphics.

If you are even considering buying it, do it. You won't be sorry.
Date: June 13, 2010 09:29PM
Don't talk too much just yet, play more so you can have both eyes well open before saying more ;-).
Date: June 14, 2010 02:14AM
Did you download F1RFT2009?

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
rFactor x GP4
Date: June 14, 2010 09:53AM
mortal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Did you download F1RFT2009?

I downloaded WCP09 - that's the file name, is that the one you are referring to?

To Gui, I guess the game will show its real self the more I play, maybe I was just so excited over being able to play a real driving sim the way it's meant to be played for the first time in my life.

One thing that has irritated me a bit are some of the long loading times e.g. with the above-mentioned mod. But I can live with it, it's beautiful otherwise, so far.
Date: June 14, 2010 11:20AM
WCP is different. a lot of servers run F1RT2009 but it is difficult to find, and so is the update. Coming this month (supposedly) is F1RT2010 mod. Although some servers are already running it.

Date: June 14, 2010 11:43AM
So mortal, can you tell me where to find F1RT? I didn't download any mods bigger than 500mb as the internet I have isn't really mine, but my employer's. So there's a limit on how much I can use, as it's only got a 2gb cap to start with.

Can you play this F1RT mod without internet? Coz as I said earlier, due to cap constraints I can't really use internet.
Date: June 14, 2010 12:47PM
In that case, don't bother. The zip is over 400MB.

Date: June 14, 2010 12:48PM
Posted by: dio69
You also should try out the endurance series mod ( [www.virtualr.net] ). I know its not a f1 mod, but its one of the best mods for rfactor. On the f1 side you really should try out the ctdp 2006 f1 mod and the fsone 2008 mod, those are the best f1 mods imo, but the down side is that both mods are big, but the fsone mod no bigger than 900mb (i think)
Date: June 14, 2010 01:00PM
FSONE2009 is almost out! fsone

Date: June 14, 2010 01:35PM
So I guess FSONE's F1 mods are the best in the business? How does it compare to, say, the WCP2009 mod I have? How much better will it be?

If the F1RT ZIP's 400mb that's still acceptable... Where to find mate?
Date: June 14, 2010 01:45PM
wait 6 days and you will get the fsone mod, a lot of servers will be using it too.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy