Braking in rFactor

Posted by mortal 
Braking in rFactor
Date: December 17, 2009 10:20AM
Posted by: mortal
How would one increase the braking, it seems to take forever to slow down, my own car can stop quicker than the brakes in rFactor! I'm using V8Factor, and increased the brake pressure to 100% and it's still woeful! Any clues?

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Re: Braking in rFactor
Date: December 17, 2009 11:27AM
Posted by: NeilPearson
press harder on the brake pedal?

Make sure the brakes are actualy hitting 100% travel in game

more rear brake bias

Date: December 17, 2009 12:30PM
I shall try that tomorrow, thanks for the suggestions.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: December 19, 2009 04:11PM
Posted by: chet
temperatures maybe? too high, too low?

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: December 19, 2009 10:43PM
I don't think so. I increased the pressure to 100%, and increased the duct size to 3, checked the calibration and it's good. The brakes are still useless. Maybe there's some hack where the braking can be improved.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2009 10:44PM by mortal.
Date: December 20, 2009 01:42AM
or its how its meant to be. so you can just get used to it.

Date: December 20, 2009 02:18AM
Compared to the AI cars, the brakes are crap.

Date: December 20, 2009 05:10AM
Posted by: Morbid
It might help if you posted which cars/mods you are talking about. Some of the default cars do have horrible brakes.

Increasing the brake ducts will not necessarily increase braking power. Brakes need to be in a certain temperature zone to be effective. Too high temps (too small ducts) and braking power drops off. Too low temps (too large ducts) and the brakes never get to work properly. Download the tool XD for rFactor. It will let you monitor brake temperature zones in real time, with a colored HUD display.

Brake balance needs to be correctly configured. If you lock up with the rear, the brake balance needs to be moved to the front. Ideally all four wheels should lock up simultaneously, but since that is a bit hairy to control, you can move it a few clicks to the front, once you have found this setting.

So... with that sorted... you should be able to mash the brakes and get a lock up after a few seconds. Brakes that are correctly set up will allow you to go close to 100% very quickly, but then you need to gradually lift to avoid a lockup. 100% braking power might make this harder for you to do. In that case reduce a bit, until it works for you.

You also need to use engine braking. Downshift in such a fashion, that you have to throw in a bit of throttle to stabilize the car. That is proper technique. Differentials can also help stabilize rear lockups, and can therefore help with braking power.

Good luck.

P.S. if your contact patch (tyre camber, pressure, toe-in/out and caster) is incorrectly configured, none of this will help you.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2009 05:13AM by Morbid.
Date: December 20, 2009 08:23AM
OK, back to practice I guess. I'm using the ORSM V8Factor mod, with the default setups. It's probably because I'm driving with auto-shift and brake asssist. Anti-lock is on as well.

Date: December 20, 2009 09:44AM
Driver aids are going to make braking alot worse, turn them off.

try do your own gears aswell you gain a hell of a lot by controlling them

Date: December 20, 2009 09:48AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Shame I don't have telemetry, but the brakes were all right when I recorded this. Pretty much default everything iirc.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: December 20, 2009 01:52PM
Posted by: chet
I think Neil's on it where he says about driver aids. Didnt they do it so that with the driver aids on you lost performance?

Also, reminds me of the hours of practice i spent trying to get within about 5 seconds of that lap Dave, and I couldnt :p

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: December 20, 2009 10:36PM
Very nice lap Dave, and you also drive the same car as me. That track version is graphically better than mine, any chance of an upload when you have the time, I'd appreciate it. :-)
I'll have a go doing the gears, see if it help any.

Date: December 21, 2009 08:37AM
Just switch off driver aides one at a time, until you are used to not driving with any. You don't need them. Currently I am doing the GTL offline challenges (same game engine), and I am driving with no aides, not even auto-clutch, and I am not using my clutch pedal (except at racestart). A good bunch of my lap times are in the world top 25 and a few even in the world top 10.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2009 08:37AM by Morbid.
Date: December 21, 2009 12:05PM
mortal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Very nice lap Dave, and you also drive the same
> car as me. That track version is graphically
> better than mine, any chance of an upload when you
> have the time, I'd appreciate it. :-)
> I'll have a go doing the gears, see if it help
> any.

I would but I don't have rFactor installed now days. But it should be this version: [www.rfactorcentral.com]

I don't know what car I was driving to be honest - I don't watch the V8s, so I picked a random car and off I went.

I also agree with Morbid - all aids off, including the clutch. Learn to control the throttle under braking and you'll find bags of time.

Morbid, did you give into Starforce, or find a way to remove it? It plagued that game :(

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: December 21, 2009 05:26PM
I gave in to starforce :-(

It doesn't affect my system that much, but it does affect the performance of the game. I get random lockups for a second or so, once every hour or two of game time, and the performance at Mondello is nothing short of horrible. This happens in no other rendition of the rFactor engine, so I am sure that it is starforce at work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2009 05:27PM by Morbid.
Date: December 22, 2009 11:27AM
Ah well. I gave in to iRacing, you gave in to Starforce. We're both sluts now.

GTL never ran that well for me either, but that might have been my GT6600 more than anything else!

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: December 22, 2009 12:32PM
chet Wrote:
> I think Neil's on it where he says about driver
> aids. Didnt they do it so that with the driver
> aids on you lost performance?
>
> Also, reminds me of the hours of practice i spent
> trying to get within about 5 seconds of that lap
> Dave, and I couldnt :p

haha i got to a 2:08.6 i think in that build. well i did cut the esses a bit would have gained about half a second. so 2.09.1

Date: December 22, 2009 06:13PM
DaveEllis Wrote:
> Ah well. I gave in to iRacing, you gave in to
> Starforce. We're both sluts now.
>
> GTL never ran that well for me either, but that
> might have been my GT6600 more than anything else!

I am way over recommended spec, so there shouldn't be any problems... It is GTL acting up - most likely the Starforce component.

I know I will take heat for this, but IMHO giving in to iRacing is much worse than giving in to Starforce. Starforce is annoying, but never deliberately set out to destroy the community, to make way for their own product. I just think that is unforgivable. I know a lot of you have given in. You guys are like drug addicts. As long as they supply your fix, you don't need to consider the fact that your pushers are right a$$hole$.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2009 06:13PM by Morbid.
Date: December 22, 2009 10:00PM
At the same time, iRacing isn't completely destroy peoples computers and then sitting claiming it doesn't do it either.

I did my first race in 2 months today, which doesn't seem like a very drug addict thing to do, but meh.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy