Need for Speed: Shift

Posted by TC 
Need for Speed: Shift
Date: May 16, 2009 12:36AM
Posted by: TC
I can't believe I haven't seen this mentioned by anyone on this forum yet.

Shift is being developed by Slighty Mad Studios, who were previously called Blimey! Games (including members from the team that worked on GTR, GTR2, GTL) and sets out to be a full on simulation in professional mode. It is using the physics system originally intended for their unnamed Ferrari project, which was coded by the lead physics designer on RBR.

The cockpit view looks amazing, the cockpit camera actually responds to the movement of the car and impacts like a drivers head would, it also blurs out the cockpit at higher speeds as you would be focusing on the road.
Re: Need for Speed: Shift
Date: May 16, 2009 12:43AM
Posted by: Guimengo
Woah, that is great news about the gameplay! However... is the Ferrari Project dead? And if they're now part of a studio owned by EA then I feel is bad news overall for us :(.
Date: May 16, 2009 11:46AM
Posted by: IWE
Even they are making 3 need for speed games at same time for different audiences I wouldnt be even bit supriced if handling of Shift is in the end anyway modified for needs of EA (money). Most of people enjoyed easy handling and throwing car thru corners without using brakes in last parts of the serie..

Atleast game is looks bit better than last parts: [www.virtualr.net]

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Date: May 16, 2009 01:42PM
Posted by: NickKK
I still don't see why they don't just have arcade and simulation modes like in the old days, development budget I suppose. RBR was very impressive, it took a long time to learn to drive properly and calm down, then the records came tumbling down and it felt so good :)

Date: September 16, 2009 07:54AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
and sets out to be a full on simulation in professional mode

Then they failed. It was released today. The PC version is a rubbish port, and definately is not a sim.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: September 16, 2009 09:34PM
Just tried it. It isn't even good for an arcade game. It's just crap.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: September 17, 2009 02:15AM
Posted by: ralv585
aaawwww snaaaappp

it looked promising, saw a review on ign giving it 90%, eurogamer gave it 7/10

was hoping it was kind of in between.

just got to look forward to gt5 and forza 3 now

Date: September 17, 2009 06:47AM
Posted by: Guimengo
Did you give it a spin, ruben not-barrichello?
Date: September 17, 2009 11:43AM
Posted by: TC
DaveEllis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Then they failed. It was released today. The PC
> version is a rubbish port, and definately is not a
> sim.

That is a shame, and really quite disappointing. They gave up the Ferrari Project for this.
Date: September 17, 2009 05:13PM
Posted by: justagamer
I just had a 3 lap race in Nordschleife with Nissan GT-R, G25 with shifter, in Pro mode with Hard AI, and honestly I can't remember when I've had such a blast playing any racing game! Definitely my new "having a good time & few beers with friends" favourite! :)
Date: September 18, 2009 04:58PM
Posted by: chet
Had a look earlier, despite them claiming a sim early on, it mentions nothing of the sort on the game box, i cant say ive played it, but I cant imagine it claiming to be a sim anywhere inside the box.

It looks brilliant fun though! God knows why they said 'full on sim' before it's release, but at least they do not mislead you into thinking it is when it was released!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: September 18, 2009 06:59PM
i picked this game up today for pc, looks good from videos, and it just looks like a fun racer, and it looks gorgeous!

i'll let you know what i think.

Date: September 18, 2009 11:25PM
The game is alright, looks pweety but using my steering sucks, you've got this old daytona force feed back feel, doesn't feel as though you are really in control of the car.

I'm sure if i use my xbox controller it will feel better

Date: September 25, 2009 04:07AM
Posted by: m-tec
Visuals are great! Game is a bit buggy here and there....

Date: September 25, 2009 04:52AM
Posted by: mortal
I'll buy it just for the fun of it, not fussed if it's a piece of crap. It's on ebay for less than $40 incl post, bargain! At that price I'll be adding it to my collection. :-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: September 25, 2009 12:06PM
Posted by: kaid
I have got the game for the 360 and it's far from crap. It's just a great arcade racer. The graphics are great especially cockpit view. It's sometimes buggy here and there but nothing major. The only bad thing about the game is the drifting, it's almost impossible to drift(maybe it's me hehe).

Date: September 25, 2009 11:25PM
Posted by: mortal
My copy is on its way, paid $A38 incl post.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: September 26, 2009 08:35AM
I have got the game for the 360 and it's far from crap.

The PC game is garbage. It runs terrible on nvidia cards, and worse on ATI. They patched it to improve ATI performance and now it gives a lot of them CTDs instead.

The menus are broken for a lot of Logitech users unless you reset the G25 settings. It makes the menus completely unuseable. Once you get through that you are treated to some half arsed physics, and a game which rewards you for driving into other cars.

I, like a few others, had a fantasticly terrible moment when we started the game, jumped into that irritating career mode and done the race at Brands, only to find out the G25 wasn't working correctly. So like the rest, I crashed at T1. I pressed ESC to exit to find it didn't have a quit race function. I CTRL/ALT/DEL out of the game, restarted and found it had corrupted my player profile and I'd have to delete the folder and restart.

So, once you jump through hoops to get the PC version working (if you are willing to install SecuROM on your PC) and get into the game you are treated to a game which wants to be Forza and PGR4, but can't pull it off. It doesn't look as pretty, the tracks are badly modeled (before we even get talking about the god awful fictional stuff they added), and some half arsed sound which makes it sound like every car in the world is running some epicly loud diff.

The AI is dimm, and can't do hairpins at a decent speed. When you put them in a pack, even on expert, they bunch up at the hairpins. If you have any sort of skill at all, you can't lose. To make up for the fact the AI can't do hairpins, they made them unrealisticly fast at other points. Which balances out decently well at times, except for those 1 on 1 battles, which even the most epic of sim racers have said they struggled with.

So my review summarised:

It isn't a sim.
It doesn't drive well. (even for an arcade game)
It isn't pretty.
It doesn't sound good.
It is buggy as hell.

Quite frankly, I'd stick with rFactor, iRacing, GPL or whatever sim you want. If you want a good arcade racer, then just get Forza 2, Forza 3 or Project Gotham 4. If you want more destructive arcade racing then just get Flatout.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: September 26, 2009 10:42AM
Posted by: msater
That sums it up for me Dave. Thanks for telling that, I won't be wasting 30-40 quid of my money now.

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Date: September 26, 2009 12:54PM
Posted by: micky-cannonball
Its just a game to me. Not a simulator and i consider this a arcade style game which is good. and they prepared well the game for ps3;) and i don't know about PC though. neverthless i love this game to play against my little brother.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy