What is the best wheel for PC/PS3?

Posted by dustbinF1 
What is the best wheel for PC/PS3?
Date: May 05, 2009 09:48PM
Posted by: dustbinF1
Now I know the G25 is meant to be the best wheel but at three times the price one would surely think so.

And as I see it the G25 is charging you for expensive and unnecessary materials (leather, steel), As well as gearstick with 6 speed and a clutch (flappy paddle thanks). So although it might be the best, it's not really suited to F1 as well...or should I say its full uses are not taken advantage of with F1 games.

So for use with both PC and PS3 what comes second best, and whats the best wheel for F1 (including the price!)?

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don’t think he has come to apologize."

Ayrton Senna (1960 - 1994)
Re: What is the best wheel for PC/PS3?
Date: May 06, 2009 09:23AM
Posted by: gav
G25 is far from the best, but it is the best (by a long, long way) in the mainstream. The only thing which came close was the original red MOMO Force (not the black MOMO Racing Force). You can completely ignore the materials (which you aren't really paying more than a couple of pound for) - it's the pure quality and build which is superior, and where the real cost difference is.

That MOMO Racing Force is probably the only decent wheel under the G25. There's also the Driving Force Pro (which is sort of Logitech's warm-up for the G25). Neither are even half as good as the G25 though, in my opinion.

If you're half serious, save and get a G25. If you just like the odd race against the AI in GPx, get a MOMO Racing Force. If you just drive a race a week in GPx and do a bit of Gran Turismo or something, get a Driving Force Pro. If you're basically an arcade racer, get a cheap hunk of plastic like a Saitek or one of the really basic Logitech wheels.

You'll find yourself getting a G25 at some point though. ;-)
Date: May 06, 2009 10:29AM
Posted by: The Lopper
If you're getting a Saitek, get five of them. That'll probably keep you in wheels till August, by which point, in my experience, they'll be all broken.

I ended up shelling out for a G25 because I didn't want to repeat my crappy previous experiences with cheapy wheels (I was like you; didn't want to spend big when there seemed to be plenty of cheaper options that did the job - but they didn't). So long as my G25 doesn't break, and so far it's looking good, I won't need to buy again! :)

The materials are a help too by the way. It's like the difference between a metal Boss guitar pedal and a plastic Zoom guitar pedal. Guess which ones always fail epicly. :)
Date: May 06, 2009 02:43PM
I'm getting myself GP4 as soon as I can find it. I'll be playing a race a week against AI probably. And I wanted to use it for Gran Turismo as well as rFactor for some online racing. Would get used probably 8h/week for half the year.

My PC wouldn't cope with the GP4 mods I would have thought though. So the whole thing might get put on hold a while, in which time prices may have fallen :D

"When a man holds you round the throat, I don’t think he has come to apologize."

Date: May 06, 2009 03:41PM
Well if you post your stats here, the pc boffins will tell you! I'm running GP4 on a fairly bog standard laptop for the moment and it's running grand for my needs ;)
Date: May 07, 2009 01:58PM
I could get a momo off of a friend for £20, but it is second hand. I'll probably get that, if i'm not happy i can get the G25 and sell the momo on. Theres very low risk and a potential fortune saver there.

Date: May 07, 2009 06:18PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Fantec. Belt driven goodness.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: May 07, 2009 09:23PM
Posted by: Brett Sinclair
dustbinF1 schreef:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I could get a momo off of a friend for £20, but
> it is second hand. I'll probably get that, if i'm
> not happy i can get the G25 and sell the momo on.
> Theres very low risk and a potential fortune saver
> there.

Justin...that's what I have done also...I bought a second hand version of the Logitech MOMO racing FORCE FEEDBACK WHEEL on eBay from a guy in Germany for €75,00 who bought the G25 and that's now two years ago and it still works FANTASTIC on GrandPrixLegends,GP4,GP3,rFactor,Race07,GRID,TOCA1&2,Colin McRae Rally2, DTM etc...it replaces my old one Microsoft SIDEWINDER FORCE FEEDBACK WHEEL who still works, but rubber pealed of the steering wheel by extensive use.

If it's gonna be your first wheel I would look on eBay or buy this one from your friend for £20 and try it out.
In my opinion the Logitech MOMO racing FFWheel is still the best for PC Racing... and for RACING IN TOTAL.
... I heard rumours about the G25 that the cluth and gearshift breaks easely and it cost a lot to repair it.

;) Ask your friend to try the wheel out and if you like it...BUY IT!! ;)

GPGSL-3: VTR Driver, S4~S11 (2nd, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3th, 4th, 3th, 2nd)(Constructorstitel S7 & S9)
GPGSL-4: ONE Racing Driver, S8~S11 // TYRANT Racing Driver, S12:1st, S13:13th, S14:1st, S15:13th //
WREXHAM Motorsports Racing Driver S16: ?
Date: May 07, 2009 09:33PM
Posted by: gav
£20 for a half-decent MOMO Racing is a bit of a bargain. Certainly a good entrance to the market. They're going for £60-80 new. Don't expect it to feel solid though - it will likely have a bit of play when the wheel is straight, but that's par for the course for a 2nd hand MOMO Racing.

Brett Sinclair Wrote:
> ... I heard rumours about the G25 that the cluth
> and gearshift breaks easely and it cost a lot to
> repair it.

Can't speak for the clutch pedal (I use BRD Speed 7s), but the shifter should be fine, unless there's a bad batch going around. I've done countless endurance GTP races (including one 10 hour race non-stop) with mine and it's been fine, as have those belonging to the other VTR drivers to my knowledge. My only complaints are that shifting can be quite loud, which is annoying at night (when most of our endurance races take place :D) though you can mod them to remove the click, and it doesn't feel anything like a gearshift (but that's to be expected of course).
Date: May 07, 2009 09:38PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
G25 clutch is fine. G25 shifter feels like a plastic afterthought.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: May 08, 2009 12:30PM
Posted by: micky-cannonball
i would Recommend you to buy DFGT( [www.logitech.com]) , although you would say it has same FFB like G25, but guess what? it is more cheap and has a couple of buttons in the center of wheel(Ex. You can adjust your TC, SUSP etc.) while driving, i brough mine for only 90$(Brand New) plus with 1 year warranty, instead of buying Second hand DFP(That cost around 40~60$), the gap of the price is so small. on the official website its around 150$, but i suggest you should buy to ebay or amazon atmost(I've been playing this for more than a year without any problems). I usually play this on rfactor though with a small program that you need in rfactor that allows you to adjust real-time settings, So their will be no more errors that applys on all mods

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2009 12:34PM by micky-cannonball.
Date: May 08, 2009 02:11PM
Posted by: msater
I had a very old Saitek R100. It, like the Lopper said earlier, was crap. It won't steer right, the pdeals are worse than ^%$@ and the gear paddles are rubbish. I've got rid of it (at the local dump) and looking at getting Formula Force FX by Logitech.

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Date: May 08, 2009 06:20PM
Posted by: sasjag
I use a DFGT as well. cost me £70 from Game and it gets used for an insane amount of time each week.

i would/am considering changing the pedals on it in the near future however

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: May 09, 2009 04:43PM
My friend changed his mind, doesn't matter, I'll get the DFP or MOMO as soon as a wheel becomes available for my first, seems like a good idea.
Thanx guys

Date: May 09, 2009 05:46PM
Posted by: Brett Sinclair
dustbinF1 schreef:
> My friend changed his mind, doesn't matter, I'll
> get the DFP or MOMO as soon as a wheel becomes
> available for my first, seems like a good idea.
> Thanx guys

Justin, just have a look on these links:

[cgi.benl.ebay.be]|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

[cgi.benl.ebay.be]

[cgi.benl.ebay.be]

[cgi.benl.ebay.be]|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

[cgi.benl.ebay.be]

[playseats.biz]

;)I hope you find what you want...GOOD LUCK ;)

GPGSL-3: VTR Driver, S4~S11 (2nd, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3th, 4th, 3th, 2nd)(Constructorstitel S7 & S9)
GPGSL-4: ONE Racing Driver, S8~S11 // TYRANT Racing Driver, S12:1st, S13:13th, S14:1st, S15:13th //
WREXHAM Motorsports Racing Driver S16: ?
Date: May 09, 2009 11:32PM
eBay does have some quite good deals yeah. momos are rarely knew pro's go for around £70 new and g25 come as cheap as £160

Seats look AWSOME, I think I'll scavange an old car seat tho, much cheaper, coz it's free!!! not £300:-o

Date: May 10, 2009 10:25PM
I noticed something searching for wheels. The compatibility.

Ideally it should be compatible with ps2, ps3 and PC

the driving force pro is definitely all 3

driving force GT I'm unsure but probably?

Momo and G25 PC only?

Date: May 11, 2009 10:43AM
No G25 is deffo compatabile with PS2 anyways, and I think PS3...The brother uses it a lot for PS2 anyways.
Date: May 12, 2009 09:48AM
Well well the g25 works on ps2!!

OK the only one I'm not sure about is the Momo, not to worry I'm gonna get a DFP
oh but wait, not all is clear...

There are 2 DFP's, one for ps2, and one for ps3.

Both work on PC

The ps3 one works on ps2

But does the ps2 one work on ps3? I guess not

The visible difference just in case you were not aware, is the ps2 version has a gt logo in the middle, and the ps3 version has a Logitech logo in the middle, apart from that they look identical. ;)

Edit: I'm now not certain if this is true, Amazon was my source for this, but eBay is all over the place, reason possibly being, ppl just get pics off of the net to sell their stuff and might not realise they have subtly the wrong photo??? Or did Logitech just do 2 different logos for our own preference?

Can anyone clarify?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2009 10:09AM by dustbinF1.
Date: May 12, 2009 02:55PM
Posted by: sasjag
the ps3 wheel is the DFGT - it has the Gran Turismo logo in the middle

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy