Race ON - Codename Toad

Posted by msater 
Re: Race ON - Codename Toad
Date: April 22, 2009 11:58AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
You not having rFactor won't mean people will suddenly mod the Volvo game. 99% of the modding comminuty *does* have rFactor, and mods that. It has more features and runs better than the Simbin modified engine.

rF2 will be 2010.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: April 22, 2009 05:21PM
Posted by: msater
I know that. But I don't want to buy rF, if rF2 is coming out quite soon. I'm sure people will mod the Volvo game, SimBin's games have quite a large following (not as big as rF's), so I'm sure we will see a couple of mods.

And anyway, from what I've heard, rF's AI is bad, and has no rain. Saying that, RACE07's AI isn't exactly amazing.

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Date: April 22, 2009 05:49PM
Posted by: senninho
rF's AI is pretty appalling, but Simbin's isn't much better as it's essentially a tweaked version of the former. Someone has pointed out that it is difficult to have good AI that also takes into account the differences between mods, and i think that has a lot to do with it.

I really can't see anyone bothering to mod this Volvo game - for a start, it's a freebie, so most people will probably download it, be mildly amused for an hour or so, then go back to whatever they were doing before. It's much more likely that the cars and tracks from the Volvo game will be converted to others.

Date: April 22, 2009 06:49PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Nobody modded the BMW Challenge game, which is the same as this, but with a more interesting car. they won't mod this.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: April 22, 2009 06:50PM
Posted by: bazza_racer
Agreed the AI is terrible in rFactor, I don't know about others here but I rarely race against the Ai. I normally just race online or test on my own. (testing very rare, rather just turn up an race) ;)

"Racing is LIFE. Anything before or after is just waiting"
Steve McQueen.
Date: April 22, 2009 08:09PM
Posted by: msater
I think in rF2, they need weather, and a much improved AI. I've heard people saying that the graphics need to be improved. WTF? From what I've seen and heard, all you need is a good PC nothing running when you run rF. Also, some screens look nothing short of amazing.

Another thing I heard was people wanted animated pit crews and moving driver arms. I think this is a must. I think I'm right in saying that GP4 was the only sim racing with animated pit crews and mechanics. (Correct me if I'm wrong). It's a must for rF2 because it needs to revolution over rF, not an evolution.

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Date: April 22, 2009 08:47PM
Posted by: bazza_racer
I think GTR2 had animated pit crews too. (not played that for a long time so can't remember) Graphics wise I don't think it really matters, my pc is quite good so runs most games (inc rF) flat out but friends of mine play on much lesser equipment and play still, infact one friend has it running on his 3 year old laptop. Doesn't look amazing but still works well. I'm not fussed about the moving arms, it makes absolutely no difference to me, but some sort of weather variation would be good. I'd also welcome a decent AI but to be perfectly honest I've never ever played a computer game where you can race the AI properly. They've always seemed crazy fast, dead slow or just on rails....

"Racing is LIFE. Anything before or after is just waiting"
Steve McQueen.
Date: April 22, 2009 10:30PM
Posted by: chet
From what Dave posted earlier about the idea of varying temperatures around a track, and I guess that will include varying grip levels throughout the day for instance and varying grip at different parts of a track.

I am really looking forward to that aspect more so than anything else, i couldnt care less about improved gfx etc or even AI.

On games I have rarley raced the AI, only once or twice on F1C, though quite a few short races in gp4. But mainly I prefer to test.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: April 22, 2009 11:27PM
Posted by: gin
GP4 has the best AI in racing games at the moment and its a 7 year old game!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy