Race ON - Codename Toad

Posted by msater 
Race ON - Codename Toad
Date: March 12, 2009 06:02PM
Posted by: msater
SimBin's Codename Toad has been revealed. It is called Race ON, and is the 2008 WTCC Season, feauring all the tracks and cars that competed it the series. It will include:

Series/Cars

WTCC 2008
Detriot Muscle Cars
Formula Masters
the complete STCC- The Game addon

Tracks

5 Brand New American Tracks
Okayama, Japan
12 Tracks, Several of which have never been realased on PC by SimBin

Read the full report here: [www.simbin.se]
Press Report: [www.simbin.se]

Good news indeed!

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Re: Race ON - Codename Toad
Date: March 12, 2009 06:40PM
Posted by: Monza972
OOO!

Can't wait for this :D. I'd better save my money then instead of spending £15 on GRID
Date: March 13, 2009 11:28AM
Posted by: SchueyFan
sounds good! if only they made a V8 Supercars game one day, that would be superb!

X (@ed24f1)
Date: April 18, 2009 02:12AM
Posted by: Iceman-Kimi
its just an addon, not a new game eh, still I buy it, shame they put STCC free with it, now ive bought it last xmas for nothing :(

Date: April 18, 2009 08:24AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Simbin have managed to sell the same game 3 or 4 times now. Now aiming for a 5th resell.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: April 18, 2009 09:52AM
Posted by: senninho
Am i the only person who didn't like the last RACE game? Tbh i thought it was a bit FPS-heavy and the cars weren't too inspiring.

Date: April 19, 2009 02:00AM
Posted by: gin
great they are selling what you can get for free from moders...

I only bought GTR1 from them and then when i played someones GTR2 realised that its pretty much the same thing and original GTR is basicly a mod of F1 Challenge. Simbin turning into another EA?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2009 02:03AM by gin.
Date: April 19, 2009 06:44PM
Posted by: Monza972
Iceman-Kimi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> its just an addon, not a new game eh, still I buy
> it, shame they put STCC free with it, now ive
> bought it last xmas for nothing :(

Owned. Now aren't I glad I didn't listen to you and go buy STCC from Steam ;)
Date: April 19, 2009 08:19PM
Same as Monil:)

Date: April 20, 2009 11:21AM
senninho Wrote:
> Am i the only person who didn't like the last RACE
> game? Tbh i thought it was a bit FPS-heavy and the
> cars weren't too inspiring.

Which one do you consider the last RACE game?

The Simbin time line is as follows

GTR
GT Legends
[Split, majority of the original development team joins Blimey!]
GTR2
RACE
RACE - Caterham Expansion
RACE07
GTR Evolution (RACE07 Expansion)
STCC (RACE07 Expansion)
RACE On (RACE07 Expansion)

Since RACE07 they have went straight downhill. Poor FPS as you said, and cars which are extremely dull to drive. They are still using tracks from the original GTR with some minor updates, and the new tracks they are introducing are poor. Zandvoort is embarrassingly bad.

GTR Evolution introduced GT cars and the Nurburgring. But they took out (!!) endurance racing. So you can't do long races and can't run at night. Effectively neutering the content for those it was aimed at.

STCC was fun for what it was. But its still dull cars. STCC had the advantage of having some nice tracks though. Scandinavia has very much avoided the track destruction that most of Europe has been subjected to.

RACE On. WTCC 2008. So they are making ONE new car, painting some skins and selling that as a new game? Well even EA couldn't justify that, so they've tacked on some Japanese tracks, US Tracks taken directly from RACE Pro (the 360 game) and some American Muscle cars and that's it?

I have no problem paying for "mods". I'd pay for VLM Mid Ohio, VLM Le Mans, or Historical GT & Touring Car mod. I'm happy to pay for GTL, GTR and GTR2. Those were different enough to warrant being paid for IMO. But the RACE franchise is nothing but the same rehashed content with more dull stuff added. I don't mind paying for mods and games which can be considered "just mods" (although using the same engine doesn't make it a mod, and I wish the community wasn't stupid enough to think that) but I won't pay for the same thing twice. Simbin have managed to sell RACE 5 times now if you include the expansion packs. Currently aiming for a 6th time for RACE On, and they still haven't announced what Project JACOB is, which is the next game.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: April 20, 2009 12:13PM
Posted by: senninho
Without looking (and with my awful memory), i'm pretty sure it's RACE07 - i got it a few months ago when Steam had their massive sale.

IMHO, other than the weather it offered me nothing that rFactor (and the right mods) didn't already offer. And even then, the weather effects weren't much to write home about. And don't even get me started on the camera angles for the FBMWs...

In retrospect, i think i would have been better off paying for GTL instead - i've heard far more good things about that.

Date: April 20, 2009 02:31PM
Posted by: Morbid
GTL has starforce, and that is utter @#$%&. However, I purchased it anyway a few weeks ago, and I have been having a blast with it ever since.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: April 20, 2009 02:33PM
Morbid Wrote:
> GTL has starforce, and that is utter @#$%&.
> However, I purchased it anyway a few weeks ago,
> and I have been having a blast with it ever since.

I highly recommend using the Historical GT & Touring Car mod for rFactor, or the Power And Glory mod for GTR2. Both require the GTL Disc (but do not require installation or Starforce) but both are better than the original. The GTR2 version has the added advantage of better AI and more historically accurate cars, whilst the rFactor version has more cars and modern Historics.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: April 21, 2009 12:22PM

Volvo Car Corporation and multiple award winning Swedish game studio, SimBin Development Team, announces that “Volvo - The Game” will be released at the end of May. The game will be free of charge.

The fresh and exiting Volvo S60 Concept headlines the car line up and will be accompanied by several well known Volvo race cars. The players will be able to hammer this variety of Volvo cars around two highly detailed and realistic tracks.

“Volvo - The Game gives us an opportunity to introduce the Volvo S60 Concept to a much wider target group. In an impassioned way and in an unusual environment we are able to expose the interior and exterior design of Volvo cars. As an extra bonus we also have the opportunity to show the players how we have worked in a focused way over the years to enhance and develop our Scandinavian design”, says Michael Persson, Director Global Marketing Communication at Volvo Cars.
“To work with such a professional team as SimBins has been a real pleasure for us”, he adds.

“When Volvo Cars asked us if we were able to develop a Volvo racing game for PC, suitable for a wide audience and including the new S60 Concept car, we picked up on the challenge straight away” says Henrik Roos, SimBin Studios CEO. ”Especially since it was Volvo Cars located in Sweden that was asking. Two Swedish brands joining forces sounded like a perfect match to us”,

As in all games developed by SimBin this game will deliver a great experience in sound and detail with a fun and challenging game as a cherry on the cake. The game comes with three difficulty levels to appeal to a broad audience, from new comer to the experienced gamer.

“Our development team has felt welcome in all areas of the Volvo company and Volvo staff has really taken on the project in a positive and professional way”, says Magnus Ling, Executive Vice President, SimBin Studios.
As an extra feature “Volvo-The Game “includes leader boards that will be published on Volvo cars website with competitions and prices to be won when the game is released.

Please note: Volvo –The Game is set for release May 26.

[www.simbin.se]

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: April 21, 2009 03:41PM
Posted by: Go Alesi
I honestly thought that was some sort of joke, until I looked on the official site...

Date: April 21, 2009 07:36PM
Posted by: gin
Which engine are they going to use for that game? If its free modders can rip out the volvos and make an f1 mod or something :)

Date: April 21, 2009 08:00PM
Good idea, Gin.

This game looks...interesting. If it's moddable, which, going by SimBin's standards, will be, it'll be great.

Date: April 21, 2009 09:17PM
It's just the gMotor engine with a lot of features taken out. Why would you want to mod that over rFactor? lol...

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: April 22, 2009 11:26AM
Because I don't have rFactor, and I'm not intending to get it, with rF2 looking good.

Btw, does anyone have a suggestion/guess to when rF2 may be coming out?

Date: April 22, 2009 11:39AM
Posted by: bazza_racer
msater Wrote:
> Because I don't have rFactor, and I'm not
> intending to get it, with rF2 looking good.
>
> Btw, does anyone have a suggestion/guess to when
> rF2 may be coming out?

Yeah but you could be waiting a long time for it ;)
When I first got rFactor people were telling me to wait, as rf2 was supposedly coming out soon. I've been playing it for over a year and tbh it's easily worth the £24 i paid for it.

"Racing is LIFE. Anything before or after is just waiting"
Steve McQueen.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy