The frustrations of race games...

Posted by flat tyre 
The frustrations of race games...
Date: March 04, 2009 11:06PM
Posted by: flat tyre
I just had a mega annoying moment in the last few minutes. I was online on rFactor, Silverstone RF3 circuit. A race with no aids apart from auto clutch. I've never managed to be competetive in a race with no aids. I missed practice aswell as qualifying, and only had half a lap warmup that I spun out on. Not looking good.

I started the race, made a place off the start, and I decided that I would race consistently rather than push it. Lap by lap, I picked off people who made mistakes. By 6 laps to the end of the race I caught up with the 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th cars. I must say I pulled a stunning move and overtook 3 in a single corner, then overtook the 4th by weaving past him on the kink in the home straight. ;) I need to find a replay of that!

Then, I found myself 10 secs behind the leading pair. 3 laps to go, they both had an accident. I was in the lead.

2 laps to go.

1 lap to go.

Connection lost.

Hey... connection lost?!

But I was doing so well :( I could have won my first no-aids race. It's times like these that I get really mad with racing games.

So, what are your frustrating moments? Propbably worse than mine, but let's hear them!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Re: The frustrations of race games...
Date: March 05, 2009 12:31AM
Posted by: Guimengo
Mine would have to be some GPx game crashing to desktop after a great result in quali or the race, before I could save.
Date: March 05, 2009 01:18AM
Posted by: Anonymous User
the worst one of all was that pit stop error in grand prix 4. oh yes.
Date: March 05, 2009 02:07AM
Posted by: SpaceAce
F1C League =D
Need i say more...

GPGSL WDC Season 4
Date: March 05, 2009 02:20AM
Posted by: iCeMaN pAuL
For sure the most annoyed I've ever been has been most recently, I've been leading races online and lost them on the last lap due to people not obeying the blue flags and either slowing me down and causing me to me overtaken by the guy behind or even worse what usually happenes - they crash into me.

It really bugs me as you can imagine, but more so because if I'm being lapped I always slow right down and give pleanty of room.

Just a shame not everyone plays fairly!

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Date: March 05, 2009 10:01AM
Posted by: Nickv
Also the huge T1 pile up that happens every race in any server in rF. THat's bad, but what's worse is that when we try to get those idiots banned, there are always people who don't vote and so the guy can stay in the server. Why? Do they like being rammed up the ass?
Date: March 05, 2009 10:04AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Not that it matters. Just change your name and come back in. rFactors ban/boot system is completely useless.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: March 05, 2009 10:06AM
Posted by: Nickv
Is it that easy? That sucks :/
Date: March 05, 2009 10:21PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
Mine was being taken out recently in a UKGPL 65 mod online race on the first lap at Spa - Pro race, somebody thought it was Int and went for a gap that wasn't there, spun me into the barriers. I was NOT happy and told him so when he quit after he f**ked up another overtake that somebody was attempting on him - it spun him on top of the hedge and he couldn't get off, so just rewards in that respect!

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: March 06, 2009 07:13AM
Posted by: Peat
43 mins into a 45 min online league race, i had a disco. Whilst leading comfortably. The inner-child wanted to cry SO bad!

Date: March 06, 2009 01:26PM
Posted by: Covfan
I once had a disco, the DJ kept playing showaddywaddy
Date: March 06, 2009 02:46PM
Posted by: Bruninho
CTDPF12005 Winterseason race, at a Wet Silverstone track.

Most of the grid had never raced in a such condition, except 2 guys who had previous wet experiences from GP4. One of them was me. The other one won it.

After a chaotic start, I found myself in 3rd, then 2nd with the other guy leading it. While others were doing off-road adventures, slowing down to keep it on track - heck, we didnt had proper wet tyres for that race, we all were using dry supersofts! I was closing the gap with 5 laps to go - his car was heavily damaged from a first laps big shunt he had. Then I had a disconnection...

Video here: [www.dcarrsmith.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2009 02:46PM by Bruninho.
Date: March 06, 2009 08:38PM
Posted by: gav
Pff, these are all measly.

NR2003's GTP mod:

1) Daytona 12hr endurance race. Around 9hrs in one of the admin pressed the wrong key combination and the race was reset to the pre-race practice. 9hrs in. To make matters worse it was being broadcast live....

2) VTR's first Le Mans 24hrs. We'd lost 2 cars earlier in proceedings. I got up at 3am to take over the remaining car at around 4:30am and take it into the early hours. Did a single fuel-stint (40mins perhaps) to warm up before the full stint and handed it back to Neil Pearson... who lost the engine at around 6am - around 15hrs into the race. Grrr. OK, likely and already the longest we'd kept a car going (previous was Sebring 12hrs), but it was still a huge depression at the time. We made up for it the next year with a 1-2 though. :D

3) Not a car I was in (they were VTR's big rivals in the first WOSEC season) but I feel for them all the same. Again a Le Mans 24hr race (the same race as above). There's a full parade lap before the rolling start... the Dutch team, Sim Racing for Holland, got as far as coming out of Tetre Rouge of that parade lap before their engine let go in a cloud of smoke, the car not even making the first chicane, let alone the start of the race... an entire month of testing to prepare for the pinnacle of the sim-racing calendar... and you don't even make the start line... THAT'S frustration.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2009 08:41PM by gav.
Date: March 06, 2009 09:05PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Pff, these are all measly.
>
> NR2003's GTP mod:
>
> 1) Daytona 12hr endurance race. Around 9hrs in one
> of the admin pressed the wrong key combination and
> the race was reset to the pre-race practice. 9hrs
> in. To make matters worse it was being broadcast
> live....
>
> 2) VTR's first Le Mans 24hrs. We'd lost 2 cars
> earlier in proceedings. I got up at 3am to take
> over the remaining car at around 4:30am and take
> it into the early hours. Did a single fuel-stint
> (40mins perhaps) to warm up before the full stint
> and handed it back to Neil Pearson... who lost the
> engine at around 6am - around 15hrs into the race.
> Grrr. OK, likely and already the longest we'd kept
> a car going (previous was Sebring 12hrs), but it
> was still a huge depression at the time. We made
> up for it the next year with a 1-2 though. :D
>
> 3) Not a car I was in (they were VTR's big rivals
> in the first WOSEC season) but I feel for them all
> the same. Again a Le Mans 24hr race (the same race
> as above). There's a full parade lap before the
> rolling start... the Dutch team, Sim Racing for
> Holland, got as far as coming out of Tetre Rouge
> of that parade lap before their engine let go in a
> cloud of smoke, the car not even making the first
> chicane, let alone the start of the race... an
> entire month of testing to prepare for the
> pinnacle of the sim-racing calendar... and you
> don't even make the start line... THAT'S
> frustration.

You sir, have just trumped us all! I could not stop laughing at that Daytona one though, was that race actually re-run?!

My worst one in GTP would be having what I thought was connection troubles early in the Bathurst 1000 last year such that it was losing packets left right and centre, and I actually traced that down to my laptop enabling PowerNow to attempt to keep cool when it didn't need to! Bloody frustrating at the time, and due to me not knowing how NR2003 did qualy/start procedures I was hampered starting last - won't be making THAT mistake ever again. Of course PowerNow is disabled and I've run 4 hours in GTP without it having so much as a whimper at me....

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: March 06, 2009 09:13PM
Posted by: gav
turkey_machine Wrote:
> You sir, have just trumped us all! I could not
> stop laughing at that Daytona one though, was that
> race actually re-run?!

LOL, no. 9hrs of running to make up? No thanks. I can't even remember if it was settled, but it would have been difficult taking into account driver changes (obviously each car would have been at a different point in their schedule) and so on.
Date: March 07, 2009 04:08AM
Posted by: NeilPearson
gav Wrote:
> Pff, these are all measly.

Thanks gav, Mine would have been bathurst in GTP, when i practiced really hard got really good, only to have someone (now who could that be?? ;)) crash the car on the opening laps and cause it to go 3 laps down. finished the race 3 laps down. :P

Date: March 07, 2009 05:48AM
Posted by: Bruninho
Now, ffs, who put that curb infront of me? ;)

Now seriously, just took too much curb, I spent the whole race avoiding most of the high ones, then i take one of them, lifts up and when I should have smashed the gas on exit (Low TC and Auto Clutch only), they were still on air, silly me, it ruined a great chase for 5th place :(

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Ah, Commentary by the legendary PSRTV's commentator Michael Lam.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2009 05:50AM by Bruninho.
Date: March 09, 2009 03:49AM
Posted by: SHEEPY
mine was on Race driver grid for the 360

started 12th. moved upto first within the first few laps thanks to some crashes :)

then on the last lap 100 metres from teh finsih line :( a muppit had turned around and drove head on into me :( my car was too badly damaged to continue :(

lets just say his ear drums burst after i got hold of him in chat :D
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy