MGS4 has '90 minute' cut-scenes

Posted by Ianwoollam 
MGS4 has '90 minute' cut-scenes
Date: May 23, 2008 02:11PM
Posted by: Ianwoollam
We know the Metal Gear Solid series is famous for its long cut-scenes, but this tops everything! Metal Gear Solid 4, the latest instalment in Hideo Kojima's seminal stealth series, has cut-scenes (note the plural) that approach the 90 minutes mark.

For those troubled with time keeping, that's the length of a feature film.

The news comes from PSW magazine, who's been and finished MGS4, and then promptly whispered in our ears about the shocking 90-minute cut-scenes. The latest issue hits newsstands today, by the way.

We were expecting long story sequences (MGS2 approached the 45 minute mark in one) but an hour and a half of cinematics was unexpected.

The good news is that you can now skip or pause the scenes. Hands up though, how many of you are actually going to sit through the full 90 minutes?

"MGS4's story is massive. The videogame equivalent of all three Godfather movies on one disc," says the mag.

"As you'd expect, you'll spend a lot of time watching cut-scenes, so if you found previous games' story exposition laborious, then you'd better find yourself a nice cushion and plenty of teabags in readiness for MGS4's.

"They can be skipped, but you'll be missing out on some of the finely crafted examples of FMV footage anywhere in gaming," the article boldly proclaims.

Issue 108 of PSW is on sale now.

[www.computerandvideogames.com]

Oh for god sake! 90 bloody minutes! If I wanna watch a film, I watch a film, if I play a game, I wanna play a game NOT sit through a damn film! :(

PSN/Xbox 360 ID - Ianwoollam

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2008 02:14PM by Ianwoollam.
Re: MGS4 has '90 minute' cut-scenes
Date: May 23, 2008 03:23PM
Posted by: kaid
wow 90 min, that's just toooo much. Has kojima so much to tell? 30min should be a max.

Date: May 23, 2008 04:13PM
Posted by: salvasirignano
The maximum should be ten minutes tops. The cutscene at the end of MGS 2, how long was that?
The storylines aren't really why people play metal gear solid.
Ninety minutes, that just makes for completely ridiculous and over-complicated over-emotional crap.
How much more cool stuff could they fit into the game (Alternate endings, weapons, offline multiplayer deathmatches etc), without all that soppy rubbish on the disc. If I come across someone, I don't want their bloody life story, how they were seduced by their stepmum when they were younger etc, or the entire history of the atom bomb.
Like in MGS 2, what is all the stuff at the end about? The whole plot is completely silly, and they go ruin a good game by moralising at the end of it.
I'm twiddling my thumbs trying to kill some bad dudes on a computer game. I don't care about what I'm passing on to future generations, or fighting for what I believe in at the moment. I am sat on my sofa playing.
Because games are to be played.
Maybe I should work for konami, that rant was extremely long winded and drawn out, without serving any useful purpose whatsoever.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2008 04:27PM by salvasirignano.
Date: May 23, 2008 10:12PM
Posted by: flat tyre
I've never known what the fuss is about the cutscenes in MGS. I'd understand if they were done badly, but they're not - I think they're better than most others I have seen. I do something to be entertained, and if it does entertain you then who cares in what way it did it? It's like saying I want to eat a pizza, but I ate a hot dog instead. I loved the taste and I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I'm moaning because I didn't get that all important pizza ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Date: May 23, 2008 10:37PM
Posted by: salvasirignano
I do like to have some form of plot in a game.
When I play a game, I like to understand why I'm fighting a certain guy. Just that with some of the MGS 2 cutscenes for example, there is half an hour of talking to endure and decipher, and I'm still none the wiser at the end of it, sometimes just confused.
Also does the whole Rose-Raiden love story via codec bring anything to the game in MGS2?
In the middle of a bloody battle with guards...
Rose: Do you want to save?
Raiden: Yes
Rose: Jack, why is it you never open your feelings to me, you're still a stranger. Remember that time I came into your room? It was empty, there was just a desk. You have an empty, cold heart Jack. Do you really love me Jack?
What day is it Jack? Do you remember?
Sometimes I feel you don't really love me Jack..
..etc etc for ten minutes

honestly, is there any point in it all.
Then she turns out to be some sort of AI, then I kill Solidus and then it's hold hands running through the meadow time when I see her afterwards?
Pfff..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2008 10:38PM by salvasirignano.
Date: May 24, 2008 04:12AM
Posted by: turkey_machine
I don't mind a good cut scene, I find a game is often made more complete with further story elements, and MGS has some of the best in the business (Sam and Max are top in the humourous stakes), but 90 minutes? Unless it's a bloody good story, no thanks.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: May 24, 2008 04:14AM
Posted by: NeilPearson
salvasirignano Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I do like to have some form of plot in a game.
> When I play a game, I like to understand why I'm
> fighting a certain guy. Just that with some of the
> MGS 2 cutscenes for example, there is half an hour
> of talking to endure and decipher, and I'm still
> none the wiser at the end of it, sometimes just
> confused.
> Also does the whole Rose-Raiden love story via
> codec bring anything to the game in MGS2?
> In the middle of a bloody battle with guards...
> Rose: Do you want to save?
> Raiden: Yes
> Rose: Jack, why is it you never open your feelings
> to me, you're still a stranger. Remember that time
> I came into your room? It was empty, there was
> just a desk. You have an empty, cold heart Jack.
> Do you really love me Jack?
> What day is it Jack? Do you remember?
> Sometimes I feel you don't really love me Jack..
> ..etc etc for ten minutes
>
> honestly, is there any point in it all.
> Then she turns out to be some sort of AI, then I
> kill Solidus and then it's hold hands running
> through the meadow time when I see her
> afterwards?
> Pfff..

it brings a human element into the game, it gives you a whole background story on the characters, how raidens past is etc. they didnt bother me.

I didnt know MGS2 had a 45 min ending cut scene, and i finished it twice. so i obviously sat through it. twice. I enjoy cutscenes, so it dosent bother me.

also people dont just play mgs series for the hiding stuff, they have the BEST storylines i have ever seen in a game. thats why i play them. thats why number 3 bored me. it was a bit thin

Date: May 24, 2008 04:15PM
Posted by: autogyro
Surely this is not 90 continuous minutes?

If there's say, 15 levels, 5 minutes a cutscene is fine. Since I've never played Metal Gear Solid, I have no idea how it works.
Date: May 24, 2008 05:24PM
Posted by: TC
Well I think the end of MGS3 was about an hour long so 90 minutes doesn't surprise me. MGS3 also introduced saving in the middle of cut-scenes (only when prompted though) so MGS4 will probably allow you to save. The full game has around 17 hours of gameplay and 12 hours of cut-scenes so at least they are not just trying to pad out the game because they couldn't think of any decent gameplay ideas.
Date: May 25, 2008 02:16AM
Posted by: zeppelin101
Unless you're a goon you should watch the cutscenes. Anyone whos played every game in a series as successful as MGS should know by now that they aren't going to nuke the formula that made it so brilliant in the first place in favour of the little geek in the corner who wants to complete the game in the fastest time known to man.
Date: May 25, 2008 02:00PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
zeppelin101 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Unless you're a goon you should watch the
> cutscenes. Anyone whos played every game in a
> series as successful as MGS should know by now
> that they aren't going to nuke the formula that
> made it so brilliant in the first place in favour
> of the little geek in the corner who wants to
> complete the game in the fastest time known to
> man.

...seriously?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: May 25, 2008 11:26PM
Posted by: zeppelin101
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy