RFactor With Keyboard

Posted by ferrariman 
RFactor With Keyboard
Date: November 29, 2007 11:26AM
Posted by: ferrariman
Hey all, does anyone use rfactor with keyboard - ive just installed it and tried it and the keyboard is hideous for this game - surely this game was designed for wheels only?

(btw, any good recommendations on decent wheels?)
Re: RFactor With Keyboard
Date: November 29, 2007 02:34PM
Posted by: Fincent
If you want any sort of decent control over your car then I'm afraid you're going to need to get a better controller than a keyboard. The thing with keyboards is you're either turning left, or you're not...there's no inbetween. This means on long corners you have to keep tapping the turn key which is either going to destroy your tires or just throw your car completely off balance.

If you play racing games a lot then a wheel would definitely be a good idea. This is mine, which I think is brilliant...has all you need and it isn't massively expensive too :)
[www.morecomputers.co.uk]
If you have money to burn though, then I recommend taking a look at the Logitech G25 ;)

If you don't play racing games much, or if you play other games more (like flight sims or war games with jets n stuff, eg. Battlefield2) then I would recommend getting a joystick. Why? Because then you've just bought something that works for a few types of games, instead of just one :) . You can get a decent level of control out of a joystick when racing however (obviously) it'll never be as good as a wheel.

It's upto you and what you think you would use more :) but if you plan on having fun with rFactor then you're definitely going to need to get something better than a keyboard.

Circuit Thermalito

Liverpool Waterfront Circuit (WIP)
Date: November 29, 2007 08:18PM
Posted by: ferrariman
thanks for the info - ill look into it :D
Date: November 29, 2007 11:33PM
Posted by: Guimengo
for wheels the MS Sidewinder and Logitech MOMO Racing are well recommended if you can't afford to go mad with the G25 (which I think is for the very dedicated virtual racers).

And in the meantime, turn on Steering help to Low, and Stability control to low or medium
Date: November 30, 2007 02:15AM
Posted by: strekedesire
I actually use keyboard for all my racing games as I don't have the money to buy a wheel :(

imo, it's not too bad mainly cause I've gotten used to the feeling over a number of years racing with keyboard. And I do have some decent control over my car, Gui should know ;)
Date: November 30, 2007 04:32AM
Posted by: NeilPearson
gui dosent know anything, especially car control

Date: November 30, 2007 09:20AM
Posted by: Nickv
Guimengo schreef:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And in the meantime, turn on Steering help to Low,
> and Stability control to low or medium

Or, if you are a real man, you put everything off :P
Date: November 30, 2007 10:08AM
Posted by: gav
Guimengo Wrote:
> for wheels the MS Sidewinder and Logitech MOMO
> Racing are well recommended if you can't afford to
> go mad with the G25 (which I think is for the very
> dedicated virtual racers).

It's not. It's for the virtual racer who does a decent amount of racing. Those who are 'very dedicated' buy a BRD or something.

I'm halfway there. BRD Speed 7 pedals and G25 wheel.
Date: November 30, 2007 08:38PM
Posted by: Guimengo
gav Wrote:
> Guimengo Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > for wheels the MS Sidewinder and Logitech MOMO
> > Racing are well recommended if you can't afford
> to
> > go mad with the G25 (which I think is for the
> very
> > dedicated virtual racers).
>
> It's not. It's for the virtual racer who does a
> decent amount of racing. Those who are 'very
> dedicated' buy a BRD or something.
>
> I'm halfway there. BRD Speed 7 pedals and G25
> wheel.

go with Gav's comment, ferrariman
Date: December 19, 2007 09:29PM
Posted by: RonnyF1
If you don't have a wheel yet I strongly recommend you to use your mouse as steering device in the mean time. I've been using my mouse to steer for a while now and I have very good control in rFactor (it takes a little to get used to it though), LFS and GTR2. To use the mouse in rFactor you have to get the program ppjoy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy