To Buy or Not To Buy Rfactor???

Posted by Eaglefan9727 
Re: To Buy or Not To Buy Rfactor???
Date: April 16, 2007 01:00AM
Posted by: Anonymous User
@ Neil and Dave. And guy with PM in sig whose name escapes me.

Thanks. I will try the download manager, and I have Firefox but the problem is more immediate in the sense that I'm on wireless, which is the worst invention ever, and it just causes loads of issues with temp files and stuff. Bane of my life at the moment!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2007 10:30PM by loque.
Date: April 18, 2007 10:23PM
Alright guys.

I've finally got the demo on my PC.
Found it undriveable so got WAAAY old wheel and pedals out from under bed and plugged in. Miraculously, they work. Without any buggering around with drivers which was nice.

Now onto the game. I had to turn the graphics down (1GB RAM and GF5700FX, 3000+~ processor is NOT a good pc these days) but I managed to get a nice framerate. The F1 part of the demo is really really good. I've not played anything like it before, but I'm finding it pretty difficult even with a lot of aids on, which is probably just something I'll have to get used to. The damage model is absolute shite as I said it looked like. Visually anyway.

So what do I get when I buy it??
Like what cars and circuits do I get, when I buy it, without having to install anything else?

Do I have to download anything else or not? And can I re-install it after I format my hard drive (which I'm doing soon cause windows is buggered) without having to pay for it again?

Is it worth getting a new motherboard with a PCI-E slot and a GeForce8600.. what's it look like at it's best?

So many questions. Probably all hate me now.

Sorry.
Date: April 19, 2007 04:58AM
Posted by: NeilPearson
Most of those questions can be answerd in this thread about formating and what not. reading helps ;)

Content, dunno tbh someone will have to tell you about that cos i dont use the normal content as i think its boring. i just use mods.

Well you dont have to download anything else. its upto you. Do you want to drive V8 Supercars around bathurst? Do you want to race a Full Formula 1 race with proper Cars? if not then you dont have to dl anything else.

you can set the graphics to either Dx 7 8 or 9, each has differnet graphics quality.

tbh i wouldnt get a whole new mobo and gfx just for 1 game. i am getting a new pc soon but its for a whole heap of games.

however 5700 :\ yeah id try get a new one, i mean you can still get a nvidia 7600gt on agp atm.

Date: April 19, 2007 05:32AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
With the game you get a few random fictional tracks, a couple of real ones (Silverstone, Barcelona, Canada and another one that I cant remember), some fictional cars (couple of small cars, sports car, muscle car, trainer car, fictional F1 car, BMW F1 car, and the Lienz Rally/Tarmac hybrids) and thats about it.

What you want to add to it is your choice. rFactor is a modding base and there is hundreads of tracks and cars. rFactorCentrals rating system makes it easy to pick out the utter trash from the quality very easily now days. I personally recommend the following

Mods:
[www.rfactorcentral.com]
[www.rfactorcentral.com]

Tracks:
[www.rfactorcentral.com]
[www.rfactorcentral.com]
[www.rfactorcentral.com]
[www.rfactorcentral.com]
[www.rfactorcentral.com]
[www.rfactorcentral.com]
[www.rfactorcentral.com]
[www.rfactorcentral.com]

Texture Updates:
[www.rfactorcentral.com]

And any of the GTR2/GTL converted tracks from www.rtracker.org

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: April 19, 2007 01:03PM
I think I'm going to buy it actually.

I spent about 2 hours last night drving round toban park.. I thought I was doing well until I went into a quali session. AI was lapping at 42 secs but I'm struggling to hit 45. Dunno if that's normal for people making the transition from GP4 or if I'm just rubbish. Keep losing the back end out of the tighter corners with stability help on full.

Do you think I can get brilliant graphics with a Geforce 7600 then??

Thanks for the replies and stuff, you are all pretty helpful :)
And yeah sorry I did't read that first post for the answers last night, I was tired ...
Date: April 19, 2007 02:30PM
loque Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think I'm going to buy it actually.
>
> I spent about 2 hours last night drving round
> toban park.. I thought I was doing well until I
> went into a quali session. AI was lapping at 42
> secs but I'm struggling to hit 45. Dunno if
> that's normal for people making the transition
> from GP4 or if I'm just rubbish. Keep losing the
> back end out of the tighter corners with stability
> help on full.
>
> Do you think I can get brilliant graphics with a
> Geforce 7600 then??

First of all, driving, its all about technique, you might be to heavy on the throttle especially since you have come from GP4 which is pretty much driving a car thats on rails. especialy with TC on. my idea's would be to turn all aids off, and just drive really slowly around until you can gradually build up your pace. you will also become a better driver this way, aids are for panzies. ;)

No you wont get brilliant graphics, you'd need a 7900GTX or above for something amazing. but going from a 5700 to a 7600 will improve your frame rate alot and also make it prettier. not stunning, just prettier ;)

and np mate i know what its like to be tired :)

Date: April 19, 2007 08:20PM
Posted by: Glyn
I spent £150 on a PCIe 512Mb 7950 GT which is quite happy running rFactor with everything cranked up as a guide. That's at 1920x1200 too, so you'll probably be OK with the 256 Mb version which is a bit cheaper if you aren't running those resolutions.

Date: April 20, 2007 12:43AM
I discovered it wasn't me be a shite driver, not exactly. I was using a wheel, but the gear flipper things for accelerate and brake cause pedals wreck my feet. But I used them anyway and obviously it cuts the wheelspin pretty much completely.

I only have anti-lock brakes on low and TC on, everything else is off. I can't take TC off cause it just slides everywhere. I think, I might go and try that now.

I like how this thread shows me dissing rFactor, downloading rFactor, and then subsequently loving rFactor. Like, some cheesy film.
Date: April 20, 2007 01:08AM
Posted by: Fincent
Its fantastic once you play it isnt it? lol

Circuit Thermalito

Liverpool Waterfront Circuit (WIP)
Date: April 20, 2007 08:27AM
Fincent Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Its fantastic once you play it isnt it? lol

I wouldnt go that far.

it has some pretty big flaws.

but it is fun.

Date: April 20, 2007 11:33AM
And the flaws that are immediate to me, after 5 hours of play are:

> They REALLY need to get some collision detection on those wheels.
> There's no rain. But maybe this will be a future thing, I'd like to see it where you can actually aquaplane, properly.
> The AI isn't brilliant, not by a long shot.
> The damage model needs updating. It's even sub-GP4.

But the sense of speed is absolutely unreal. It's more fun just driving around hotlapping than it is racing, with F1 cars anyway. I can't drive the other car you get in the demo. Seems a bit sparing with the brakes to me...
Date: April 20, 2007 03:53PM
hey REALLY need to get some collision detection on those wheels.

I have been bugging ISI for this feature quite alot.

There's no rain. But maybe this will be a future thing, I'd like to see it where you can actually aquaplane, properly.

Being done. Photos of the BMW F1 simulator running it are on RaceSimCentral.

> The AI isn't brilliant, not by a long shot.

AIs crap. No other way of saying it.

The damage model needs updating. It's even sub-GP4.

Depends. GP4 doesnt support bent suspension or anything like that, whilst rFactor does. It also effects aerodynamics when you bend your car. GP4, you can take eau rouge flat without a front wing...

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: April 24, 2007 11:56PM
Well I'm totally hooked now.

So, I'm going to buy it after my exams. I have two more questions.

Can you run any cars on any circuit?? i.e. F1 2005 at Bathurst or V8 Supercars at Monaco??

Is the F1 2005 mod made so that the car's are independently powered?? Will you set faster times driving a Ferrari than driving a Minardi??

Thanks guys. :)
Date: April 24, 2007 11:58PM
Can you run any cars on any circuit??

Yes. There are only a couple of exceptions like the US Pits Stock Car tracks being locked to that, but as a general rule 99.9% of tracks can be run with any cars. For you examples, both are possible

Yes all good mods have different physics. F1 2005 by CTDP of courss is one of the better ones, so had different physics per car.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: April 25, 2007 12:52AM
Posted by: chet
"Is the F1 2005 mod made so that the car's are independently powered?? Will you set faster times driving a Ferrari than driving a Minardi??"

Its amazingly noticable.

I remember spending almost a whole day testing at Valencia with a Jordan, just tuning set up for hot laps and races...

And after I thought wow, couldnt have gone any better.

But then decided to jump into the Mclaren, and basically within 10laps on its default setup, with the Mclaren I had beaten my best time of the day I did in the Jordan :p

Thing is if people are looking to buy rFactor for formula one imo they will be disapointed.

Because its not an F1focused game, then, well to me at least I struggle to really get into a championship, unlike I did with GP4/F1C, its the small things. There isnt a general feeling of being at an F1 race meeting that youd get with the other games.

Plus tracks are inconsistant, i think you could have an entire F1 season, but some tracks are just shite. I think the only f1 tracks i drive are the Silverstone and Nurburgring and Canada provided, and CTDP's Bahrian. Oh and Istanbul, though its slightly more FPS heavy.

Lets be fair though, atm, open wheel racing in rfactor isnt great at all. atm the only mods im playing on rf are the Mclaren V3 vers, and the Megan trophy.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: May 03, 2007 12:56PM
Posted by: torana_05
I'm very disapointed because i bought rfactor and now i cannot use it because i use another computer and carry my stuff on a hard drive because the computer cannot be connected to the internet and to activate rfactor you have to be on the net, was looking forward to playing v8 2006, sigh

Date: May 03, 2007 01:10PM
can u activate it on the pc which is on the net, then just transfer the whole game to the pc that isnt?

Date: May 03, 2007 02:21PM
Posted by: gav
Nope, the whole idea behind activation is that it's specific to the hardware it's activated on. Companies such as MS and Adobe have phone activation for similar systems, but I don't think ISI (well, Trymedia) do.
Date: May 03, 2007 02:38PM
Posted by: Glyn
Could you connect your other PC up to the net for a few mins just to activate it? Once the game is activated you don't need a net connection for it to continue working.

Date: May 03, 2007 03:12PM
Live for speed just goes on the game itself.

i formated not long back and just copied my whole folder over, didnt have to unlock

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy