GPL & NASCAR 2003 on Vista

Posted by Glyn 
GPL & NASCAR 2003 on Vista
Date: October 15, 2006 06:05PM
Posted by: Glyn
Has anyone had any luck running GPL or NASCAR 2003 on Vista? GPL to put it best was a nightmare, doing less than 1 fps, but NASCAR was fine until the lens flare effects kicked in (easily solved really).

I am using the Vista nVidia drivers for my 6800GT, and Realtek Vista drivers for the sound on my nForce (the Vista nForce drivers are frankly rubbish and don't work properly with surround sound, where these ones do when in Windows).

I was just wondering if this is a known thing, or just a sign of not the most up-to-date hardware running on an up-to-date OS.

Re: GPL & NASCAR 2003 on Vista
Date: October 15, 2006 06:13PM
Posted by: gav
I never tested them when I was using RC1 (the Logitech Wingman software doesn't work with the MOMO wheels), so I can't really tell you either way, however I do know one thing. The nV graphics drivers for Vista are absolute pants. So many bugs in both the built-in ones and 96.33 it's unreal. Some people can't even install Vista because of them.
Date: October 15, 2006 08:41PM
That would explain something, but also the sound is highly dubious too, but that doesn't suprise me. Hopefully when its released a new dose of hardware should fix it. Hopefully nVidia will too.

My wheel doesn't work either by the way Gav (it's a gameport one) but I just tried them to see what happens. GPL will work fine but NASCAR will need installing onto your Vista installation. I was quite suprised Daemon Tools installed and mounted the image too!

Date: October 16, 2006 01:13PM
Posted by: Daniel Knott
Glyn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Realtek Vista drivers for the sound on my
> nForce (the Vista nForce drivers are frankly
> rubbish and don't work properly with surround
> sound, where these ones do when in Windows).

That's pretty much the same for xp too - if I want eax on my inbuilt sound card I have to use the realtek drivers and not the crappy nforce ones.

H E L L O
Date: November 17, 2006 10:38AM
The good news (if anyone cares lol) is the latest nVidia drivers work happily in GPL & NASCAR. Still got jittery audio though...

Date: November 17, 2006 11:25AM
Posted by: Sil3nt-War
Both games run fine on RC2 with my crappy pc. Only issue is no force feedback but i've been told thats because logitech has no vista drivers?
Date: November 17, 2006 12:55PM
Sil3nt-War Wrote:
> Only issue is no force feedback but i've been told
> thats because logitech has no vista drivers?

I think it was with RC1 the Wingman software wasn't working with MOMO Racing Force wheels anymore (and some others, though not all), whereas with the publicly available BETA2 it worked fine.

Presumably Logitech will have drivers out by the time Vista goes on sale to the general public. Other Logitech peripherals may not be so lucky. They're specifically limiting Vista support to devices 3 years old or younger, which means mice and keyboards may not be officially supported. Probably won't be an issue if you use SetPoint (I'd imagine they'll just update the current release, including its database), though if you use iTouch or Mouseware I expect you'll just have to cope with whatever features the Vista HID driver supports out of the box (typically on mice that's back and forward buttons and the scroll wheel - with keyboards volume controls, mute and play/pause).

MS Intellitype software will be available in December apparently, though you can ask them nicely for a BETA of version 6 if you really need it. No idea over MS mice - haven't used one for eons.
Date: November 20, 2006 11:31PM
Posted by: Willb
What about my zboard :) !

Help keep our forums tidy.

Use the search function...
Date: December 08, 2006 10:08AM
Sil3nt-War Wrote:
> Both games run fine on RC2 with my crappy pc. Only
> issue is no force feedback but i've been told
> thats because logitech has no vista drivers?

I've tried the G25 (had to plug it in because it got wrapped up for Christmas :)) drives in Vista and they work fine, although they were marked as XP drivers.

Also theres some new Realtek AC'97 drivers out now that actually work in games - yay :D

Date: July 05, 2008 02:26AM
Posted by: Guimengo
I can't get GPL to work fine here, I got Vista 32bit Business Edition :(. So far the most I got to go was the GPL 2004 Demo with the demo player file. It is a nightmare, I am dying to play it! My specs:

Windows Vista
Intel Core 2 Duo 1.4 GHz
nVidia 8600GT 256mb
Momo Racing, which by the way I pretty much have to unplug and plug everytime I turn on the laptop so it works fine with my games and the wheel is not moving all over the place.

Really appreciate any help, I tried asking over at VT forums but despite the attempts I got no luck :(.
Date: July 05, 2008 09:09AM
Gui, you've not given any details at all on what's wrong... what doesn't happen, or what happens that's not supposed to? What drivers are you running? It GPL fully patched? Have you installed the Direct3D or OpenGL rasterizers? How about the new ones posted over at RSC?
Date: July 05, 2008 03:06PM
Posted by: NeilPearson
and the same people who will help you here are the same people who are at VT. :\

Date: July 05, 2008 03:40PM
Posted by: sasjag
yeah but hes on everyones ignore list at VT

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: July 05, 2008 09:24PM
gav Wrote:
> Gui, you've not given any details at all on what's
> wrong... what doesn't happen, or what happens
> that's not supposed to? What drivers are you
> running? It GPL fully patched? Have you installed
> the Direct3D or OpenGL rasterizers? How about the
> new ones posted over at RSC?

nVidia driver version 7.15.11.143. Sound card has the latest drivers too. I actually got GPL to work but with the default tracks, I managed to get the new cars to work.

I first had GPL installed with the GPLPS patch, I have tried both UK and US versions. It gave me the very slow game, low FPS and all that jazz. I installed the 2004 demo, it worked fine, even the new Watkins Glen! So I tried carrying over tracks from the GPLPS updates and the FPS went kaboom again. So my amateurish opinion is that the problem is with the tracks in that patch, I newbily enough managed to forget what I have to change to install track updates in GPL :-o.

I checked RSC but couldn't find something specific, I checked it that same night you guys posted in VT forum. I used the GPLPS patch thingy to check about patches installed, updates... everything looked fine. I checked about the D3D different ratios you could set the game to but mine wasn't there (1440x900 so it is a 8:5). So what I have right now is the 2004 demo installed with the default tracks from GPL (bar Watkins Glen), the game is updated 1.2.something, but the cars don't look sharp. It's like the colors are lower quality and not 32 bit. It's similar to having your monitor on 256 colors, but not to that extreme.

Anything else I can post just ask... I appreciate the help you guys give.
Date: July 06, 2008 01:34AM
Posted by: turkey_machine
What's the laptop model? And did you try my suggestion posted in VT about GPL Power Monger? (Google "GPL Power Monger", first result should be the one.)

My method for a working GPL on my laptop was the following:

(From the CD) GPL Install,
(From the CD) Patch 1.2.0.1,
(From the CD) CPU Fix (to 1.2.0.2),
(From the CD) D3D Patch
GPL Rasterizer (for the widescreen)
GPL Power Monger running.

Check the one in bold. THIS IS IMPORTANT FOR LAPTOPS BECAUSE 99% OF MODELS HAVE POWER SAVING ENABLED AND LOCKED. THIS SCREWS WITH GPL!!!! Repeat: Get GPL Power Monger!

No other patches, just that, and it's a working GPL game. Add-on tracks raced in VT last season and this season work without problems. Yes, I'm running XP, but I'm confident it'll work on Vista without problems. Your system is doing something wrong, or you just can't read my post.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: July 06, 2008 09:40AM
got GPL PM, shall work on it this Sunday when I have time in the evening, thanks:)
Date: July 06, 2008 05:27PM
I think this new rasteriser is worth installing for anyone right? As it's meant to fix those horrid font problems? :)

H E L L O
Date: July 06, 2008 06:20PM
Daniel Knott Wrote:
> I think this new rasteriser is worth installing
> for anyone right? As it's meant to fix those
> horrid font problems? :)

It does fix them. The only issue with them at the moment is that Pribluda isn't compatible yet, if you use that.
Date: July 06, 2008 07:20PM
unfortunately I do hmmm...

H E L L O
Date: July 07, 2008 06:45AM
Jethro boy, it seems to have worked! :)

All I need to fix now is the gfx not being as sharp and my wheel needs to be unplugged everytime I start my computer or it will be messed up in game with the steering wheel moving all over the place.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy