rFactor vs other simulations

Posted by turkey_machine 
rFactor vs other simulations
Date: July 05, 2006 03:25PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
I'm planning an upgrade of my system, mainly cause I need it, but also to play some of the latest and greatest games. However, I've noticed rFactor relys quite heavily on user creation to give it (for example) realistic tracks and cars for the F1 season. How does it compare to, say, GP4 and F1C? Is it worth purchasing now (or in the near future), or waiting later for more content to appear?

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Re: rFactor vs other simulations
Date: July 05, 2006 03:28PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Its better than them. Simple as that. Graphics engine is nicer, day to night transitions, it has hunreads of great tracks, some excellent mods, with alot more coming soon. The physics are miles better.

Its not even in the same league as GP4 or F1C.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 05, 2006 04:55PM
Posted by: zeppelin101
GP4 is a more fun sim in comparison. rF is an excellent buy for something with a bit more feel and realism imo :)
Date: July 05, 2006 05:59PM
Posted by: Morbid
Comparing GP4 to rF is simply not fair. It is like comparing Unreal Tournament with Doom 3... Both are great FPS, but have a different focus, and most importantly, and this is my real objection, they are from completely different ages.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: July 06, 2006 10:40AM
Posted by: torana_05
im looking to buy aswell and wanting to know can ya trust the direct deposit through the moneybookers thing, cause i dont trust credit card thingos, or do u rekon to wait till there is another game that everyone will think that is the best

Date: July 06, 2006 12:15PM
Posted by: Race_Monkey
Well the next "best game" was supposed to be nkpro, but I havn't heared much about it since the release.

rF is really moving forward now, there are some good single make mods, as well as some decent single seaters. There are loads of good tracks about too (though many have been branded "illegal" by RSC).

There is a huge update in the works, which features, among other things, updated AI and better provision for stock car racing (there are some stock car mods around, but I havn't tried them yet.)

The biggest news kicking about is that CDTP's F1 2005 mod isn't too far from completion, most of the F1 tracks are about, and once there is a decent f1 mod i'm sure the others will get done, and then rf will truely kick gp4 and f1c's asses.

Date: July 06, 2006 01:38PM
torana_05 Wrote:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
> im looking to buy aswell and wanting to know can ya trust the direct
> deposit through the moneybookers thing, cause i dont trust credit card
> thingos, or do u rekon to wait till there is another game that
> everyone will think that is the best

The guy that waits to buy what everyone thinks is the best, never buys anything. There will always be some new promised land on the way. "everyone" is not gonna race your sim, you are! It is much better to list what it is you are looking for in your racing sims, yes put down some wants and expectations, and see if they match up with what people have to say about the sim you might want to purchase.

As for the method of payment, I used moneybookers and it went fine. I have yet to hear of anyone that has gotten burned with the methods of payment listed, so you should be okay.

Date: July 06, 2006 04:28PM
Posted by: Razorsedge
I think the only thing to consider about r-factor is : are you gonna race on-line?

If the answer is yes. It is absolutely awesome and essential.

I don't know about the others here, but even though r-factor is my favourite, a tricked up GP4 is still the best OFF-LINE racing to be had.(A.I. and weather)

But then again the best thing about r-factor is; there is always the future!!

Date: July 07, 2006 03:33PM
Posted by: chet
rFactors AI is shite.

But then the game was made to modded. But then a nice AI base to mod would have been good :P

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: July 14, 2006 05:40PM
How easy is it to mod as a user? In other words, how easy is it to create tracks and cars? I'm all for modding the thing till the original content is practically non-existent... but there's something about creating your own cars and tracks that appeals to me!

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

Date: July 14, 2006 06:38PM
You have to have good 3D Studio Max knowledge. Learning the filters isnt easy either.

rFactor isnt easy to mod, however you can mod almost anything in the game. You can change everything to anything you want. You just have to be good to do it.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 14, 2006 07:05PM
Posted by: matt3454
why does it never rain in rfactor?

Date: July 14, 2006 07:05PM
Posted by: zeppelin101
Having said that though, max is pretty easy to learn. I got into it with very little know-how of 3d modelling, and now I can make pretty much anything I want in max given enough time :)
Date: July 14, 2006 07:21PM
Date: July 14, 2006 05:05PM
Posted by: matt3454 (IP Logged)

why does it never rain in rfactor?

Because rain isnt in the game...

It'll be added in a future patch

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 14, 2006 07:49PM
Wishful thinking... is there Blender support / compatibility?

Date: July 14, 2006 07:52PM
Date: July 14, 2006 05:49PM
Posted by: turkey_machine (IP Logged)

Wishful thinking

Says the man with no contact with ISI? ;-)

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 14, 2006 07:57PM
I saw 3ds Max mentioned, and asked a legitimate question! I prefer free software as a rule, Blender included.

What are you trying to get at anyway?

Date: July 15, 2006 04:13PM
Well before rain is added they need to sort FPS issues with the lights for ALOT of users ='/

Planning that are they Dave?

Date: July 15, 2006 05:15PM
**hrmmm**

Chet, I note the sarcasm, so I ask you, what did I tell you and Dave a few days ago?

Date: July 15, 2006 06:42PM
Sorry if you thought that, but nope.

As he sort of let known, he is in contact with ISI.... and ask at RSC about rain and well you get alot of answers.

It was a serious question and he will probably know the answer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy