What do you think about Call of Duty 2?

Posted by NJ 
Re: What do you think about Call of Duty 2?
Date: November 07, 2005 05:19PM
Posted by: NJ
the british campaign is amazing!
Date: November 08, 2005 12:26AM
Posted by: Ianwoollam
The british campaign is very good! ;) Also love the first American Mission, nearly as good as the MOH:AA Landings Mission :D And now finally! the British team arn't crap on multiplayer yay! cause they have the Thompson too now! instead of just the god awful Sten :)

I'm playing the game again now with my new monitor and new system! :D Fair to say this game is deffo designed for SLi System, if you are lucky enough to have a 512MB GFX card, then COD2 will take full advantage of it :)

But I do like how COD2 is backward compatible, with DirectX 7 mode, granted it just looks like a expansion pack, but its better than nothing! :)

PSN/Xbox 360 ID - Ianwoollam
Date: November 08, 2005 05:04AM
Posted by: Eagle
I got the game yesterday, and straight off, I can't believe how ridiculously high the specs have to be for your pc to actually run the game with most of the details on.

Granted, my pc was pretty hot @#$%& back in (early) 2004, but its like you have to do a compete pc hardware overhaul nearly every year.

Having a look at the next gen of games coming out....Call of Duty 2, Elder Scrolls : Oblivion, FEAR and STALKER...its like, if you don't have 2 vid cards in SLI mode, forget it! You ain't going to see the real beauty of these highly detailed games.

I used to play CoD in 1280x1024, everything on...and it ran SWEEEET :) (still got my trusty old ATI Radeon 9800Pro)...when I ran CoD2, chose optimal settings, it set it down to *sniff* 640x480 with some details on....game was smooth as silk, but I kept getting distracted by big chunky pixels in the way.

I'm gonna upgrade my rig (again) next year sometime...*sigh*...more money thrown into my pc...almost as expensive as running a car :)
Date: November 08, 2005 05:11AM
Check out the pure gaming beauty of CoD2

[www.sg.hu]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2005 05:13AM by Eagle.
Date: November 08, 2005 09:38AM
Posted by: madotter
Having a look at the next gen of games coming out....Call of Duty 2, Elder Scrolls : Oblivion, FEAR and STALKER...its like, if you don't have 2 vid cards in SLI mode, forget it! You ain't going to see the real beauty of these highly detailed games.

Not true, My system is an (all default settings, no overclocking) AMD 3200, 1GB Ram, X800pro and I can run CoD 2 on top settings @ 1280x1024 and its runs with no problems at all. Same with F.E.A.R. I was going to upgrade again to either a 3800 or a 4000 AMD, 2GB of Ram and probably some sort of 7800GTX EE or X1800XT but theres no point as i can run anything that hits my pc right now.
Date: November 08, 2005 10:21AM
Eagle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Check out the pure gaming beauty of CoD2

How it looks on my rig atm ^_^

Date: November 08, 2005 12:04PM
Posted by: -qwerty-
madotter Wrote:
> Having a look at the next gen of games coming
> out....Call of Duty 2, Elder Scrolls : Oblivion,
> FEAR and STALKER...its like, if you don't have 2
> vid cards in SLI mode, forget it! You ain't going
> to see the real beauty of these highly detailed
> games.
>
> Not true, My system is an (all default settings,
> no overclocking) AMD 3200, 1GB Ram, X800pro and I
> can run CoD 2 on top settings @ 1280x1024 and its
> runs with no problems at all. Same with F.E.A.R. I
> was going to upgrade again to either a 3800 or a
> 4000 AMD, 2GB of Ram and probably some sort of
> 7800GTX EE or X1800XT but theres no point as i can
> run anything that hits my pc right now.

I think it was more a general comment that you need a @#$%& hot PC to run CoD 2 nicely in dx9 mode. Needless to say my xp2000, 9700 pro combo had a fit. But there are so many other things I need to buy that upgrading a pc just isnt worthwhile or cost effective. I'm increasingly getting sick of the outlay to lay top games. An xbox 360 has more GFX power than a 7800 GTX or x1800XT at the moment, and more cpu power for gaming than a PC, for 208 quid. :|

You couldn't buy a decent graphics card for 208 quid anymore! Ridiculous.

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: November 08, 2005 03:34PM
damn that screenshot looks nice, Ianwollam....

i could product screenshots just as nice on my current rig, but running the game at about 40fps with that level of detail....NO WAY!!!
Date: November 08, 2005 04:55PM
Posted by: MarcLister
I got COD2 yesterday and after faffing around with FM06 (unsuccessfully) decided to try COD2 out. Despite the higher demands the game makes on a PC and threads such as this I thought my 3200XP, 1.5Gb RAM and X800 would still run this game fairly decently at a fair resolution.

Imagine my dismay then when the optimum settings turned out to be 800x600 with no details on anything and no AA!. I was a bit miffed to say the least and ramped it up to 1024x768, rejecting some weird 848x??? resolution in-between option that I've never heard of.

The game looks pretty good from what I've tried so far but when I start moving and/or shooting then it slows down quite a bit. Really want my x64 system now. However seeing the first level I'm not sure whether or not to buy an SLi board and just the one 7800 to begin with.
Date: November 08, 2005 05:01PM
I've got a:
P4 2,6 Ghz
ATi RADEON 9200 128 MB
512 MB memory

and it's doing great on 1024x768

I was throwing potatoes at the commisar :P
Date: November 08, 2005 05:16PM
Hmm, strange. I did resist the urge to throw my spud-nade at the commissar, though.
Date: November 08, 2005 06:08PM
MarcLister Wrote:
> I got COD2 yesterday and after faffing around with
> FM06 (unsuccessfully) decided to try COD2 out.
> Despite the higher demands the game makes on a PC
> and threads such as this I thought my 3200XP,
> 1.5Gb RAM and X800 would still run this game
> fairly decently at a fair resolution.
>
> Imagine my dismay then when the optimum settings
> turned out to be 800x600 with no details on
> anything and no AA!. I was a bit miffed to say the
> least and ramped it up to 1024x768, rejecting some
> weird 848x??? resolution in-between option that
> I've never heard of.
>
> The game looks pretty good from what I've tried so
> far but when I start moving and/or shooting then
> it slows down quite a bit. Really want my x64
> system now. However seeing the first level I'm not
> sure whether or not to buy an SLi board and just
> the one 7800 to begin with.

Don't always take the word of optimal settings :) According to my PC, it wants to run at 1024x768 with Normal Lighting, I've got it set to 1680x1050 and High Lighting with Extra on all Textures, runs about 30-40FPS, rarely it goes below 30FPS, good enough for me :)

Date: November 08, 2005 06:42PM
Hmm, thanks Ian. Might try and fiddle with the settings later. Course you do have a slight advantage, a new PC methinks? :)
Date: November 08, 2005 08:53PM
Posted by: madotter
I think it was more a general comment that you need a @#$%& hot PC to run CoD 2 nicely in dx9 mode.

What i ment to say was that I dont see how Woollam's pc couldnt run it when mine can (on full DX9 etc...) as we had near enough identical systems.
Date: November 08, 2005 09:10PM
No way mine could at full GFX, I had to have my old PC on 1280x1024 and Low texture quality in DX9 mode....

also I had the 6800 Non-Ultra 128MB before, you've got the X800 256MB... RAM in COD2 makes a massive difference, thats why in benchmarks, a X850 512MB is keeping up easily with a 7800GTX 256MB.... Its the only game I've known which RAM on the GFX card makes such a big difference! :-o

/EDIT\ Just found that Nvidia have released a BETA driver which is supposed to improve COD2 performance, you can find it here [www.nzone.com] I'm gonna go try it out, see if there is any improvement :)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2005 09:19PM by Ianwoollam.
Date: November 08, 2005 10:56PM
Not a bad driver update :) got about a 8-10FPS increase in COD2 myself, I'll take any increase I can get! :)

Date: November 11, 2005 05:42PM
Almost finished the SP! One mission left
Date: November 14, 2005 05:37PM
The MP is cool
Date: November 14, 2005 09:21PM
Posted by: Sil3nt-War
SP is the biggest load of bullshit ever. Am i the only one who has done it on veteran? I was standing behind two of my team mates and the enemy shot between them just to hit me. I can shoot someone in the face (because thats the only part i can see) when they are on an mg42 yet they just shake it off and continue firing. My squad mates seem to enjoy running in front of me when im using an mg42 so i fail the mission.
Date: December 01, 2005 01:34AM
Posted by: Karan19
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy