GPG 24hrs of Toban (2hr rFactor Endurance Race)

Posted by Glyn 
Re: GPG 24hrs of Toban (2hr rFactor Endurance Race)
Date: October 05, 2005 12:25PM
Posted by: richardd
You obviously don't appreciate the technical wizardry of one of Glyn's whiffy socks then gav ;)
Date: October 05, 2005 01:29PM
Posted by: matthewp
i've currently got half a squash ball wrapped in a bit of plastic bag ;) works pretty well actually

Date: October 05, 2005 01:38PM
Posted by: Glyn
When you get those Gav, let me know how friendly they are for driving without shoes (just wearing - non wiffy - socks :P). They just look a bit big and bulky in pics so its hard to tell.

Date: October 05, 2005 01:39PM
Posted by: gav
No probs.

Order still hasn't been processed yet...
Date: October 05, 2005 01:45PM
That'll take a while. It's so expensive they have to consult your bank manager ;)

Date: October 05, 2005 04:48PM
Posted by: Race_Monkey
Sorry guys I can't make it tonight, my Hall of residence unit are having a pub crawl tonight, its still freshers week so I am still getting to know everyone, so staying in and playing an online racing game would be extremely antisocial. ;)

You guys are better off without me since I have been so inconsistent over long runs it would probably be embarrassing for me and I would cause accidents.

Date: October 05, 2005 05:28PM
Posted by: mh_84
This is my dreaam Steering Wheel system:

[ecci6000.com]

There is a F1 version, but no pick for that. The price is right though. ;)

[ecci6000.com]
Date: October 05, 2005 07:40PM
Posted by: chet
not long now.. i cant wait... i hope i last the whole 2hours :\

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: October 05, 2005 08:07PM
Race_Monkey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sorry guys I can't make it tonight, my Hall of
> residence unit are having a pub crawl tonight, its
> still freshers week so I am still getting to know
> everyone, so staying in and playing an online
> racing game would be extremely antisocial.

LOL :)

I get enough stick for playing racing games like I do at the best of times, let alone playing them instead of going out.

Stick around for the next one though :)

chet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> not long now.. i cant wait... i hope i last the
> whole 2hours :\

With mechanical failures time scaled, my guess is they can hack the whole race at a fast pace, but in the interest of having an interesting race with lots of finishers, I'm going to give you a tip (if you haven't already worked it out :P) - make the gearing a bit longer, and reduce those revs!

Date: October 05, 2005 08:32PM
Remember guys to connect to the server copy and paste this into your browsers address bar

rfactor://217.146.92.108:34297

(might be an idea to close your browser before the game loads too)

You can also connect ingame my going to multiplayer and clicking the '+' button and entering the IP.

One last thing, remember to turn off your virus scanners auto update thingy :P

Date: October 05, 2005 10:58PM
Posted by: bazza
My pc crashed with about 45 minutes to go :<

Oh well, I was a lap away from anyone either way, so it wasn't exactly going to be close racing, plus my car was @#$%&, completely and utterly thanks to hitting a spinning Neil on the first lap and then various other small off-track excursions. The damage screen was showing yellow all round the car, even after it was repaired, which probably explained the looseness at the end of my run :p
Date: October 05, 2005 11:45PM
Posted by: Alex@[GP]
thanks guys for the race, was erm interesting :D

pretty satisified with 5th - was racing on my own for most the time a minute either way to anyone :(
Date: October 05, 2005 11:51PM
Well that was annoying; started 3rd but ended up 5th after the first few laps. Drove a good first stint and worked upto 3rd, got stuck behind Rich for quite a while (and when I got past first time a backmarker decided to fight me and Rich was able to repass) got past him again when he spun and set about catching the leader Gav about 10s up the road, was gaining gradually but he spun with me about 5s behind and handed me the lead, after the first stops I was first and the middle stint was pretty uneventful.
Came in for my 2nd and last scheduled stop with Gav 8 seconds behind and 3rd place another 30s back (Gav pitted the lap after me).
Came into the pitlane and expected my pitbox to be the same as the first time which was towards the end of pitlane, to my surprise the pitbox was right at the beginning; by the time I noticed i'd overshot it so I reversed, I had a few goes placing it in the box but it wouldnt start my pitstop even when I got right in the middle of the box. I then noticed that there was another pitbox at the farend of the pitlane where the only one should have been, so I then pulled out and went to that one, thankfully this one actually worked and I exited the pit. After Gav had stopped I was 20 seconds behind him so the incident had cost me half a minute and any realistic chance of the win.
I was still in 2nd but after that I was just pissed off so I started pushing way too hard to catch Gav, had a huge shunt at the top of the esses at the start of the lap and was surprised that the car didnt die completely, it was very damaged though and I spun twice getting back to the pits because the handling was totally funked. Spent ages in the pits fixing it and was then 4th over a minute off the podium. Rich must have had an off and a pit because I ended up getting past for third, I was just pushing like hell now out of pure agression really even though I had no hope of catching anyone, set a 1m45.4 which was a PB by 8 tenths, eventually caught Gav and unlapped myself and that was it, finished 3rd but not happy with it.
Was a good race though and the backmarkers were brilliant (apart from that one occasion that let Rich repass me)

EDIT: Forgot to say congrats to Gav, good drive was just a shame we were robbed of a good battle to the end :(

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2005 11:58PM by matthewp.
Date: October 06, 2005 12:01AM
Posted by: mh_84
Great and fun race guys. This was my first ever long online race. Enjoyed it really much (but my buttocks didn't ;) ).

Had a fairly good start. Fighted for few laps to maintain the lead, but then I spun. I had a very bad first stint. Spun several times and lost a lot of time.
But when the darkness came I slowly started to get into rhytm. Was very suprised when I saw that Richard had vanished from my mirrors, after that just cruised to finish.
I now know that I should have practiced more to this race(only did few drak laps).

Extremely great drive from Gavin. Without mistakes would ahve been intersting end to the race.
Date: October 06, 2005 12:02AM
Posted by: EVO=GForce
cheers guys great race just gotta prize my ass out the chair now lol
Date: October 06, 2005 12:10AM
Unlucky Baz :|

No complaints here, obviously.

Got into an early lead after applying a bit of pressure in the first 10 or so laps. Was protecting my tyres from the off, being very careful. I was able to take that to a bit of an extreme, as Rich and Matt had early problems, so I had a bit of a buffer.

Ended up with a pitstop in hand over Rich, exiting the pit just infront of him, with him to make a stop. Unknown to me, Matt already had made his stop, so I was holding a 5-6 second lead over him, waiting on him pitting, wondering what on earth he'd done to be able to stretch it so long... I went off (can't remember how), and he went past.

Started catching him again after a 10min or so, and had 1 go, which he nicely chopped off, then had another more serious go, but he was a bit close (I turned into the following corner a bit early), and I had to brake a bit, getting an enormous slide in the process, which dropped me back 2 or 3 seconds, and now with a guy behind (I forget who) who was wanting to unlap himself. I didn't have the tyres to respond, he pulled a move, and I didn't see it coming, not leaving him enough room, and spinning myself around. Was my fault though. I tried to let him past later that lap, but me not knowing the severity of the blues, he had no choice but to immediately let me back through.

Matt obviously had a problem in the 2nd stops, and I gained a stop on him, from being about 9sec down before the stops. After that, it was just a case of keeping it going. Matt came around to unlap himself, absolutely flying, so I let him go, seeing no point in holding him back.

I did a couple of spurts to keep myself awake, and decided to do a splash and dash with 10min to go, not being convinced the fuel would last... ended up with all my lead back though, so it would have been a decent strategy to take throughout the race perhaps. Got me the fastest lap, but a false one, as I was on low fuel with fresh tyres. I'll let Rich and Matt fight it out over that accolade.

Overall, good consistancy, an ability to conserve tyres while being on the pace (compared to Rich at least, having discussed in MSN), and pure luck than the other guys got me the win. I could see Matt was frustrated more than once, and Rich too, so all things being equal, I wouldn't have won.

Well done to all who finished. Was a great race. :D
Date: October 06, 2005 12:12AM
Posted by: richardd
Well i'll concur with bazza about the damage showing all round the car :D got to know the grass and barriers rather well at toban and didn't deserve any more than 4th at the end of it all. shan't bother with the ifs and buts cause they didn't happen - truth of the matter was i was driving far too hard :)

The incident when matt got back past for 3rd was when i crashed in turn 1 and knocked the back wing off, didn't have enough fuel to get to the end anyway so decided to come in and have it put back on.

Congrats to gav for what turned out to be a race where least mistakes paid off - and he is also a git for pinching fastest lap when he pitted with 10 mins to go and had light fuel ;)

Had some good battling at the start, but other than that it was mainly just a myriad of spins, logging laps, and pitting. Jury's still out for me on rF at the moment - could be the ZRs but everything still felt a bit vague - onwards for VTR to daytona :D
Date: October 06, 2005 12:12AM
Posted by: chet
a very good race..

i got a good start.. was 4th..

then 6th..

then fuked.

spun 3 times in 2 laps.. ruined my race and my tyres ;)

errmmm well from then on it was recovering...

got to night and i just pitted so came out with fresh tyres was faster than some1 in front... but coz he lapped me i couldnt past without blue flags :\

so when i did get in front i got a stop go :(

and then was just driving smoothly until i was letting Dickson through and me being a n00b decided hmmm i know... lets slow on the racing line :\ so he hit me.. my fault tho :P so im sorry for that..

then again it was making sure i wasnt in trouble...

and while doin this i was keeping a nice eye on Neil and eerrm James some1 ;)

coz we all were pretty even.... got light.. pitted.. then me thinking Neil had to pit again set about closing the 25 second gap..

to prove how close it was between us.. at the end of the race i cut the gap down to 19 seconds. but he never pitted :( so i was 9th :P

but next time.. ill be better at letting traffic through and more carefull..

btw its so much easier offline!!

but yea good race thx :D:D

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: October 06, 2005 12:23AM
I'm still baffled when people say theres not much feel in rfactor, I dont know if its just my settings or what but i'm getting far more information through the wheel than in anything else, it was especially obvious as the tyre wore down (this was the first time i'd done a full stint in rf) as it got worse I could really feel it sliding more and especially locking up a lot earlier and getting lots of wheel spin, felt great and I could really tell why I was losing the time. Wheras in GTP when the tyres wear down other than maybe a change in balance I dont really notice a big difference in grip, it feels almost the same but the times are much slower.
Was interesting how it affected people pace's too, on new tyres Gav and Rich were a good few tenths a lap quicker than me, in the mid phase I seemed to be the fastest by about the same and by the end we were all pretty similar.

Date: October 06, 2005 12:26AM
It's a known problem with the Logitechs apparently... but you use one too, yeah?

I wouldn't say there's a lack of feel. But it does seem overly vague to me. Best word I can use. It's miles better than any other ISI sim though, and it's easily acceptable. I personally just don't get the same level of response I get in LFS, GPL or NR2003 - whether it's the F1, the F3, ZRs.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy