GPG 24hrs of Toban (2hr rFactor Endurance Race)

Posted by Glyn 
Re: GPG 24hrs of Toban (2hr rFactor Endurance Race)
Date: September 29, 2005 12:46PM
Posted by: Alex@[GP]
standing starts are your best chance to overtake tbh, if u put ur car in the right place and arent stupidly slow its not easy to overtake
Date: September 29, 2005 03:01PM
Posted by: bazza
It was meant to be on a rolling start, but I forgot. I tink rolling would be better in a race that's so long. We all knw what the first corner is like when everyone is approaching it at different speeds from a standing start.
Date: September 29, 2005 03:27PM
Posted by: gav
Whatever the start, a guess a lot of those won't be used to the practise used in endurance racing... they've just got to remember not to take punts. In the early laps it's generally formation running, unless there's a significant speed differential.
Date: September 29, 2005 03:32PM
Posted by: matthewp
Speak for yourself Gav I went three wide into the first corner at Bullrun ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2005 03:33PM by matthewp.
Date: September 29, 2005 03:47PM
Posted by: bazza
I'm not used to that either, but I wouldn't be one to throw my car into the first corner in the hope of picking up a place. 2 hours is a long time considering it is possible (and relatively easy) to pass, and the fastest will come to the fore eventually.
Date: September 29, 2005 04:30PM
matthewp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Speak for yourself Gav I went three wide into the
> first corner at Bullrun

I know... and everytime I've seen the screen shot since I've cringed... and you know I'm not your regular overtaker by any means ;)
Date: September 29, 2005 05:24PM
I'm generally a lot more cautious than you really (been actively trying to be more aggressive in taking chances lately and havent taken anyone out :) )
But on that occasion i'd just lost about 5 positions because I pitted the lap before that total mess happaned and we had a restart in whatever positions we were in when it happened, so I was a bit miffed and made up those two positions straight away :)

edit: should add that generally I wouldnt drive like that in an endurance race and intend to be nice and cautious next week ;)
Theres no need to try risky moves, if you're faster than the guy ahead just keep applying pressure and they almost always make a mistake, its quite a long race so theres no need to be anxious about getting ahead of someone as quickly as possible.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2005 05:27PM by matthewp.
Date: September 29, 2005 06:14PM
matthewp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm generally a lot more cautious than you really

It's wierd... I'm actually quite cautious. I don't often try things that's got a high chance of crashing. VT4 hasn't been a good showing from me - I found I had to push extremely hard to keep up in most cases, and I was struggling to be honest. As a result I did tend to crash a lot more than I'd normally do... I'm not talking about the crashes with people, just unforced errors. VT3 was a truer reflection of myself. Yes I can be 'exciting to watch', but I'm just as in control as anyone else at that given time.

Endurance races I show a more measured approach (obviously), as even if I'm comfortable on the limit, I know fine well that if I step over that slightly, my mistake or that of someone else, it's going to end in tears, for both me and my teammates. Shift-R doesn't exist. I'm quite proud to have only crashed once, which while being once to often, isn't too bad when you consider how many hours driving you do over what is 10 endurance races in less than a year (races where I personally have raced for over 2hrs without stopping/pausing/saving).

This race will be slightly different, as I'm not completely confident in the car, and what it's capable of. I can get a raw speed, but I'm still a little lost when it comes to consistant running. It's going to be fun though... oh yes :D
Date: September 29, 2005 06:24PM
They're also shitloads easier to drive than GTP so that will help on the long stints :)
Oh and you werent the only one pushing extremely hard ;) I love the fact that its competetive enough that a lot of the time you'd spend the entire race doing qualifying laps.

Date: September 29, 2005 08:59PM
Posted by: chet
so i decided i needed to go faster and be consistant.. so i did a quick test at the track with my setup... initially i was meant to run for about 25laps.. but didnt ;)

these are the times i was doing during the daytime:

then it went to night from lap 17 and... i crashed on 20 :P

so i need to improve my night time pace bad! otherwise im happy with the day time pace :)

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: September 29, 2005 09:05PM
Fair play you're going pretty quick with that keyboard.

Date: September 29, 2005 09:17PM
ive seem to find it quicker without stabilty control :\

but yea all i need to do is be consistant. over those 20 laps i made 3 mistakes, 1 was a small one of running wide. :)

Date: September 30, 2005 12:33AM
Posted by: richardd
does rF not have like... an export facility for laptimes...?
Date: September 30, 2005 10:57AM
Posted by: Glyn
Annoyingly rFactor doesn't have a lot of things when it comes to viewing information. Or sometimes it does, hidden deep in some menu system behind a tiny button :(

I know it saves logs though of races, but I'm not sure about tests.

Date: September 30, 2005 11:47AM
There is a thread at RSC which has requests for lots of little features like that which ISI do look at and they should be pretty easy to implement to hopefully we'll see things like that added over time.

Date: September 30, 2005 05:37PM
Posted by: Race_Monkey

I painted my car!

Date: September 30, 2005 06:09PM
:D nice :D

btw.. what times are ppl doing on long runs? or is that a secret? ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2005 06:44PM by chet.
Date: September 30, 2005 11:37PM
Posted by: mh_84
@ chet

Yes it is. ;) No haven't really ran long runs. Haven't actually played rFactor offline since I bought it last week. Will have to practice them, don't want to be caught by surprice when it comes to tyre wear etc.

Btw. How is the tyre wear? How many laps they last pretty good? And what tyre wear multiplier we'll use in race?
Date: September 30, 2005 11:56PM
well i worked on setup earlier and i think ill have a nice supprise :P... well those times on the previous page mean nothing now ;)... now all i have to do is wait till the warmup :D but thats too far away :(

Date: October 01, 2005 12:47AM
It would be a surprise if you got anything meaningful out of the handful of settings you can change ;)
Havent done any long runs myself but did a few laps in the dark yesterday and am now as quick as in the day.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy