Could I have the file? ;)
Re: Grand Prix Legends
Date: August 18, 2005 10:32AM
Posted by: Glyn
You can have a file yes - how about a car setup :P

Date: August 18, 2005 07:11PM
Posted by: Gazork0
Glyn, I know the 69 mod is good. Trust me, I know ;-)

I especially like the Matra :)

Funky Truck - The official Vader Trophy Racing Timewaster
BATracer - Online racing strategy game, great fun!
Date: August 18, 2005 08:07PM
hehe :)

The Matra is good, but the handling is a bit heavy if you see what I mean. The Brabham however is a fantastic machine, especially when you stick a tad more front downforce on to make it a bit more tail happy.

[exit hyping up mode ;))

Date: August 18, 2005 09:15PM
I like heavy cars, especially ones that rev over 10,000 RPM :D

Date: August 18, 2005 10:45PM
Yes but the Matra (using the Ford engine) has buggery all power above 10,000 rpm :P

Date: August 18, 2005 11:00PM
Posted by: matthewp
you're both bastards

Date: August 19, 2005 12:33AM
Still gotta love the scream, eh? :D

Date: August 19, 2005 01:35PM
matthewp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> you're both bastards

lol ;)

i was seeing how long it would be :)

I'll shut up now before i get a slap :P

Date: September 03, 2005 05:05PM
Posted by: ThunderGod
Well, I've been playing the GP series since the first one. Played all the GT series since the first one as well.. Gone through 1 PC steering wheel, still using my 2nd wheel (gotta love the robustness of Logitech MOMO force). I consider myself an avid racing sim player, and I've been hearing whispers and raving of GPL for over 5 yrs now, but it's just a game that I never had a chance to get into, nor bothered doing. It was like one of those things where "yea, I'll get to it.. someday". All that changed this morning when I downloaded the GPL2004 demo, calibrated the wheel, and took my first lap in this game. My first response: oh my god... I was speechless. Completely overwhelmed. I kept asking myself "why didn't I get this game sooner". Of course, my first lap was full of crashes and further tinkering with my wheel settings, but dammnnnnnnn... now I know why many people have said this is the #1 simulator, eventhough the original game came out 7 yrs ago. Sure it may not had the gleaming eye candy graphics of GT4, but when it comes down to car control, physics and gameplay.. it's just... wow. Now my only problem is finding where to buy this game. >.<
Date: September 03, 2005 09:56PM
Posted by: gav
3 games gave me a buzz when I played them 1st time, and felt I'd be hooked.

Indycar 1, GP2 (demo) and GPL.

Too an extent Indy500 (the original sim IMO) and NASCAR 2 also, but to a lesser extent... but GPL blew me away. I was a little late too, late 2001, when it was already 3yr old, but I instantly took a car around Kyalami (hmm Honda... that sounds OK)... until May I still had that PB, as the car was so awful I'd not driven it at the track since ;)

Not many sims grab you, and pull you in instantly. GPL was insanely difficult compared to most, but it had something that made you come back time after time.
Date: September 04, 2005 11:35AM
I remember playing the demo of GPL on my P166 and thinking it was great, but never bought the full game because a P166 was pretty much what you needed processor wise. Still, the game sat there in my head, awaiting my next computer. When that arrived, I tried it again, but due to a lack of 3DFX chipset I didn't really get much further. A while down the road later, I heard about an OpenGL extension, and the best thing ever happened - GPL was on budget for £5! Easily the best fiver I've ever, ever spent for entertainment!

So I got that, and played with it for a while, before it all started fizzling out. Again, a while later, some people were talking about it, so I went back and started getting much better, lapping Watkins Glen in the 1:06s (mid to high) and Kylamai in the 1:26s. But that didn't last more than a few months, until Feb 2003 when some people on here got their hands on it (namely Sim and Chris B). I eventually had a go, got some decent online racing, and the longest spell without any GPL since was the transition between VT1 and VT2 (so lets say a month lol).

It's addictive, like a drug me thinks.

Date: September 04, 2005 11:51AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
I hated GPL when it first came out. I had a P350 i think, and the draw distance was so poor i couldnt even see the corners before i had to brake. Being new to these old tracks meant that it was impossible to learn because of that so really the entire thing was pointless to me. The only race i actually enjoyed all those years ago was me alex and i think matt, around the Nurburgring.

I've gone off it again tbh. The graphics are a bit meh now, the promise of these great mods was disappointing with the 65 mod, other games are just taking over now.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: September 04, 2005 05:21PM
For me, the graphics dont actually matter, especially not the textures are looking very nice indeed. The only thing you are missing is high quality lighting and shading etc.

I think the 65 mod is more of a showcase for things to come, because they arent the most fun you can have on wheels I'll admit, but the quality of the actual mod is stunning, and its nice to have the tyre model fixed too.

Date: September 05, 2005 12:15PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
i remember getting it the week it came out, in a huge shiny black box with an extra flip cover (:-o) But yeah i played it for ages and then it just lost its appeal...until i came accros this forum and started racing it online with alex (56k to 56k yay!) Then it just went from there, vt1 and 2 were the golden days but now i just dont have enough time to practise and you guys are far too good ;-)
Date: September 05, 2005 08:29PM
One thing I will never ever forget though Chris, is Milano - what more can you say ;)

I think it's fair to say we both perfected that track, knowing when you let the car behind take the lead on the last lap, to cut down on the final corner and take the place away.

Oh yes, the the lapping move on Cai I think at 200mph where we both went either side of him :D

Date: September 05, 2005 10:44PM
Something I just found and pretty much sums GPL up - a magazine advert

Date: September 05, 2005 10:52PM
'ave it... :)

Date: September 05, 2005 11:37PM
Posted by: Sil3nt-War
That ad is the reason why my brother bought the game.
Date: September 06, 2005 12:51AM
Posted by: markko
Thats one hell of an advert! Awesome :)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy