Logitech G27 / F1GP / GP2 / DosBox

Posted by zifox 
Logitech G27 / F1GP / GP2 / DosBox
Date: February 11, 2021 09:03AM
Posted by: zifox
Hi,

nostalgia struck me after re-installing GP4 and i'd like to try to see if I could play GP1 and GP2 with my wheel. I've played for hundred of hours using a joystick, never with a wheel.

I had no issue installing the game using Dosbox ECE (took advice from Ted Meat website), but I'm having trouble with the wheel configuration: I have a dead zone in the center of the wheel that I can not remove, and it seems the dead zone depend of the max rotation of the wheel:
If I set the max rotation to 900°, I have a dead zone (meaning the games do not see any movement at all, i can see it in calibration) of about 20° each way. If I set the max rotation to 300°, it goes down to about 10°.

If I open the wheel settings in windows, I can see it moving from the start, while in the game the red circle stays in the middle, and suddenly jerks left or right. I think once it sees movement, it does take the correct rotation value so there it's quite off/on.
Thinking it has something to do with dosbox, I plugged an old joystick (sidewinder precision 2), and it works fine. Si I guess the issue does come from the wheel, BUT, it works perfectly fine in GP4 or other games ( i haven't tried GP3 yet, but it's ok in assetto corsa, Dirt, etc...).

I'm quite lost here, if anyone has pointers to solve this, I'll gladly take any advice.
Re: Logitech G27 / F1GP / GP2 / DosBox
Date: February 18, 2021 11:03AM
Small update on my issue:

I did manage to make my setup work for F1GP, using dosbox 0.74 (not the ECE version). It's amazing how the game feels even today.

I tried launching GP2 the same way, but here I'm stuck with a well known issue: I can't calibrate the wheel as the values oscillate, depending on DosBox speed. (the faster I allow dosbox to work, the faster the oscaillation)
Date: February 28, 2021 12:46PM
Posted by: torana_05
How is your issue zifox, have you managed to solve the oscillating problem? I am using Dosbox ECE and cannot seem to get gp2 to recognise my pedals, I have the steering, which at the moment is not oscillating. I think I read somewhere that this may be solved by making timed=true. not sure.

Date: February 28, 2021 04:21PM
Hi,

I did manage to solve my issue, which was caused by a mixup in configuration files. I have several versions of dosbox and multiple configuration files for the games I run (I store a conf and mapper files in the game folder), and when I was launching DosBox ECE, it was not using the correct mapper file, next to the conf, but the "default/main" one in the user profile folder.
I removed the mapper file in User/AppData/Local/dosbox and everything went fine.
Date: March 04, 2021 09:49PM
Hahah sorry about this, just trying to get it in my head. You have a dosbox in the gp2 folder? and then you point the dosbox app to run the conf within the gp2 folder? I never thought of running it this way,sounds alout easier than mounting the dir everytime. Could you send me the conf files, as i still have the issue with the pedals which i cannot seem to fix. Thanks

Date: March 07, 2021 08:09PM
I don't have one install in each game folder. I have one install, and several shortcuts, each of them specifying a configuration file.

There are two ways of directly launching an exe:
- putting it in the commande line
- using commands at the end of the configuration file.

I use the first option, meaning the shortcut for GP2 contains:
"D:\Jeux\DOSBox ECE r4432\DOSBox.exe" -conf "D:\Jeux\GP2\dosbox-ECE.conf" "D:\Jeux\GP2\GP2.exe"

Which wheel are you using ? To be able to use mine (logitech G27) in GP2, I left accelerator and brake uncombined, and once the game is launched, had to remap the axes in Dosbox: CTRL-F1, then click on each axis (Axis 1/2 (Controller1) and 3/4 (Controller2) section) to assign the axis of my wheel to an axis in Dosbox. I put the Wheel on Axis1/2 : X, throttle on Axis3/4: Y+ and brake on Axis3/4: X+.
Be sure to remove what is assigned by default on axes you won't use. (must be grayed out)

Then configure GP2 to use the correct axes, and calibrate controls.

It works when combining throttle and accelerator too, but you won't be able to brake and accelerate at the same time in the game in this case.

----------------
I had time this week-end so I started a new season on F1GP, 100%race, no help. I was a bit of a surprise, I had no real competition during the race: i won with 1'10 advance on the second, despite half a dozen spins when overtaking backmarkers and a broken wing thanks to my teammate blocking me from overtaking him the second time.
(and this, despite using the default setup and my absolute fear in the two high speed turns (7/8) in which I was at least 20-30kph below the AI speed.)

Hope the competition will be fiercer in Brazil, it was a blast to play.

When playing, I realized that the sounds ingame where much more agressive (engine and tyre sounds) than what PWM seems to get in his youtube videos. I'm wondering if there's a way to emulate a different sound card to get a better noise ?

edit : forget the last question: it's an issue with F1GP version: V1.03 vs V1.05.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2021 08:21PM by zifox.
Date: March 09, 2021 09:41PM
Hi, Thanks for the response. I am going to give it another crack at the weekend. I can't wait to try out gp2 and Indianapolis 500 with a wheel. I really enjoyed Ted Meats gp2 season and GPLaps Indy 500. It's great to see the resurgence of all my childhood games and appreciating them in other ways.

Date: April 07, 2021 02:22AM
zifox Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Which wheel are you using ? To be able to use mine
> (logitech G27) in GP2, I left accelerator and
> brake uncombined, and once the game is launched,
> had to remap the axes in Dosbox: CTRL-F1, then
> click on each axis (Axis 1/2 (Controller1) and 3/4
> (Controller2) section) to assign the axis of my
> wheel to an axis in Dosbox. I put the Wheel on
> Axis1/2 : X, throttle on Axis3/4: Y+ and brake on
> Axis3/4: X+.
> Be sure to remove what is assigned by default on
> axes you won't use. (must be grayed out)
>
> Then configure GP2 to use the correct axes, and
> calibrate controls.
>
> It works when combining throttle and accelerator
> too, but you won't be able to brake and accelerate
> at the same time in the game in this case.
>
>
Hmm for some strange reason it still will not pick up my pedals. I've deleted all previous settings and mapped in these settings but it doesn't seem to work, it seems that DOSBox is not communicating with controller b. The only way I can get gp2 to recognise the pedals is to map the pedals to the y axis of the controller a, but then it will only recognise the brake and not the accelerator. I've tried this in my ECE DOSBox and a vanilla dosbox setup as well. Is there any other ideas you may have. Ill see if I can get a screen recording explaining what I am doing. Anyway thanks for the help, appreciate it.

Date: April 15, 2021 10:25AM
You're unable to map the axis in dosbox to the second controller, or unable to use the second controller in GP2 ?

For the latter, i may have a clue:
I had a bug in the control settings in the game which took me days to solve: apparently if an axis has been calibrated once, the game keeps the previous values if you try to calibrate it again, and it f**ks up everything if the first calibration wasn't correct or if the values sent to the game are not compatible. (out of range, or negative vs positive values)

I had the issue when i tried to uncombine the pedals: the values when trying to calibrate the pedals in the game were totally out of space.

I had to reset everything (mapping in dosbox, use keyboard in the game before returning to wheel) to be able to calibrate the wheel correctly.
Date: May 01, 2021 11:58AM
Not everyday that a ligier can overtake 2 williams in one take. (H)

Date: May 02, 2021 09:23AM
I figured out the control calibration driven box fixed the problem. After trying it for a while I've noticed the steering is really, really sensitive and the car tends to wander around the track with very little or no steering input. Did you come across this problem as well?

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2021 01:07PM by torana_05.
Date: May 02, 2021 09:04PM
Yes the steering was too sensitive at the beginning, when the wheel was configured on 300°.
I did my first two races in F1GP and it was really hard.
I changed the wheel configuration to 360°, and things got way better. I have the same behavior in F1GP or GP2.

I still have difficulties going into a really straight line, but i think that's due to my wheel: it has a quite large FFB deadzone in the center, plus a sensitivity issue that is due to the age of the wheel, i guess. ( Within 1-2° of the center, movement is randomly detected. Feel like having a loose nut in the steering rack)

I have the same sensitivity issue when playing GP4, but it's less problematic since the FFB works very well and you feel exactly what's happening, you can't overdo it by mistake.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2021 09:26PM by zifox.
Date: June 01, 2021 09:24AM
Posted by: smasha
Can someone give me a guide on how to do this,My g27 is oscilatting wildly in the calibration screen also.

I have been trying for hours and it's literally driving me crazy.

The guide above was a bit over my head.

I worked out how to run GP 2 in full screen and using the mapper but when calibrating,the red dot flies all over the place,my wheel has nothing wrong with it.

I tried 4axis_2 in the dosbox config file ,that did not work lol.

I just set it to auto and used combined axis in the G27 settings.

But the red dot in the GP2 calibration settings is all over the place.

Does the same thing in ICR2 btw.

But my g27 is stable as a rock in modern games

HHEEEELLLPPPPPPPPP

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2021 09:26AM by smasha.
Date: June 01, 2021 11:00PM
Change the "timed" option in your configuration file to "true", it should do the trick. It's in the "[joystick]" section.
Date: June 02, 2021 05:11AM
zifox Wrote:
> Change the "timed" option in your configuration
> file to "true", it should do the trick. It's in
> the "" section.

That did not work,it was already set to that.

Can I please borrow your config File?

What settings should I have in the G27 control panel?

Not only does the sterring axis flicker when calibrating but finding it real hard to assign my pedal avis.

Should I set dos box on Compatibilty for an older OS?

Stumped at the moment.

P.S. I give up.

Dot wiggling slightly but not solid with calibration.

Even when changing the gear change,it always reverts to left paddle for selection.

I have given up at this point.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2021 05:33AM by smasha.
Date: June 02, 2021 05:35AM
"Which wheel are you using ? To be able to use mine (logitech G27) in GP2, I left accelerator and brake uncombined, and once the game is launched, had to remap the axes in Dosbox: CTRL-F1, then click on each axis (Axis 1/2 (Controller1) and 3/4 (Controller2) section) to assign the axis of my wheel to an axis in Dosbox. I put the Wheel on Axis1/2 : X, throttle on Axis3/4: Y+ and brake on Axis3/4: X+.
Be sure to remove what is assigned by default on axes you won't use. (must be grayed out)

Then configure GP2 to use the correct axes, and calibrate controls."

I did the above,did not work at all.

P.S. How on Earth do you calibrate a wheel's pedals in this game when it has forward,backward and centre calibration designed for a joystick?

Am I doing something wrong??

P.S. I got It!!!! LOL <CONTROL DRIVEN CALIBRATION,DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2021 04:24PM by smasha.
Date: June 03, 2021 06:31AM
smasha Wrote:
> "Which wheel are you using ? To be able to use
> mine (logitech G27) in GP2, I left accelerator and
> brake uncombined, and once the game is launched,
> had to remap the axes in Dosbox: CTRL-F1, then
> click on each axis (Axis 1/2 (Controller1) and 3/4
> (Controller2) section) to assign the axis of my
> wheel to an axis in Dosbox. I put the Wheel on
> Axis1/2 : X, throttle on Axis3/4: Y+ and brake on
> Axis3/4: X+.
> Be sure to remove what is assigned by default on
> axes you won't use. (must be grayed out)
>
> Then configure GP2 to use the correct axes, and
> calibrate controls."
>
> I did the above,did not work at all.
>
> P.S. How on Earth do you calibrate a wheel's
> pedals in this game when it has forward,backward
> and centre calibration designed for a joystick?
>
> Am I doing something wrong??
>
> P.S. I got It!!!! LOL <CONTROL DRIVEN
> CALIBRATION,DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was my issue as well,I felt so stupid after I found that. I still have a car that is extremely sensitive or one that wanders down the straight

Date: June 03, 2021 03:12PM
How have you configured your wheel in windows ?

At first I also had a very sensitive wheel, the solution was to use a wider range on the wheel (300 => 360°) and at the same time use a higher steering lock value in the game from (12-13 to 18-20°).
When you reduce the steering range on your wheel, it increases the sensitivity around the center because rounding errors are bigger.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2021 03:16PM by zifox.
Date: June 12, 2021 03:09AM
My wheel is 180 rotation and I get less centre dead zone that way.

The G27 feels great in a non ffb game,the resistance is good enough though sometimes it starts without any resistance at all.

I would love to know everyone's in game settings.

I am not very quick at all lol.

I am a stop and start kind of driver,no fluidity.

My best so far is a 1.24 at Interlagos but I looove the feel of this sim,still competes with any sim today in regards to the physics.

Just need to put more laps in.
Date: June 12, 2021 11:22AM
smasha écrivait:
> My wheel is 180 rotation and I get less centre
> dead zone that way.
>
You can forget playing with such a narrow rotation, the car will be very instable at high speed.
Try using a wider range, while incressing the max lock in the game, the car should still turn in quickly, but it should be better when driving in a straight line.

Also check and double check your dosbox configuration file to make sure that you don't have a deadzone value specified.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy