Computer Freezes when Graphics Opened

Posted by SchueyFan 
Computer Freezes when Graphics Opened
Date: June 15, 2011 03:49AM
Posted by: SchueyFan
I'm really at a loss to find my latest computer problem. Whenever I open a game, or other graphics-based program, my computer screen becomes sort of pixellated, and must be shut down manually. This happens with Grand Prix 4, Google Earth, GP4 Builder (3D GP4 tracks mapped with textures), Google Earth, some videos etc. My computer has no other problems, it works perfectly.

Here is an image of what happens.

So far, I've tried a temperature analysis, installing video card drivers, system restore, cleaning out the computer with compressed air, all sorts of diagnostic and virus tests etc. My temperatures don't rise when I open a game, and they seem within the normal limits.

Here are my specifications:
Dell XPS 630i 
OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium , Service Pack 2, 32 bit
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q9300 @ 2.50GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 7
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 3068 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT , 512 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 466643 MB, Free - 37303 MB; D: Total - 10239 MB, Free - 6122 MB; 
Motherboard: Dell Inc, 0PP150, A00, ..CN7082182T2054.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

X (@ed24f1)
Re: Computer Freezes when Graphics Opened
Date: June 15, 2011 08:15AM
Posted by: gav
This is hardly conclusive, but generally speaking, graphics corruption is the result of failing graphics memory.
Date: June 16, 2011 07:08AM
OK, thanks.

What actions do you suggest I take? My warranty is over, so I would obviously prefer not to have to purchase a replacement video card if possible.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: June 16, 2011 07:59AM
Short of borrowing someone else's computer to test your card in, or their card to test in your computer (to rule out software or drivers), I don't think you've got much choice but to replace the card.

Are you sure you're outside of the warranty, or just assuming you are? Some manufacturers offer 'lifetime' or 10-year warranties on graphics cards.

Otherwise, there's no harm in trying the manufacturer anyway - they might replace it as a goodwill measure. Unlikely, but it's worth a shot. Logitech replaced my £50 mouse with a £75 mouse a couple of months back, and it was outside of warranty and I had no invoice (I bought it 2nd hand). It's worth a shot. :)
Date: June 16, 2011 09:13AM
I'll give it a go then.

I had a two year warranty from Dell when I purchased the computer in July 2008, and their website confirms that my computer has absolutely no warranty left, and doesn't mention different warranties for different components.

Considering the video card was only replaced in May last year, I might hopefully be able to make a case with NVIDIA at least...

X (@ed24f1)
Date: June 16, 2011 11:33AM
Ah sorry, I didn't realise it was a pre-built system. My autopilot told me it was a home-built affair.

I doubt you'd get much joy out of Nvidia. Their cards are normally sold through partners (such as EVGA or Zotac), and I wouldn't imagine they'll deal with individual situations themselves.
Date: June 16, 2011 12:35PM
OK, right. Thanks again for the advice.

NVIDIA's website seems to indicate the same thing, so I think I'll just try Dell.

Considering this model of card has now broken down twice in just over two years, it might end up being worth just purchasing a new type card.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: June 16, 2011 12:42PM
I think in the UK you might be able to argue the card (or PC) wasn't fit for purpose if two cards have died in four years. I've no idea if Australia have a similar system.

I suspect a Dell representative would just laugh at you, and their lawyers too if you tried to force the issue, but you won't lose anything by giving them a ring.
Date: June 16, 2011 05:17PM
Posted by: Daniel Knott
My friend had an 8800 or something and he told me that they have overheating problems that mean that it ends up cracking the solder (i guess with all this no lead solder now). So much like the xbox 360, he said he could fix it for a few months if he put it in the oven for a while :/

I mean you could try it but it is rather drastic. Obviously try returns first.

H E L L O
Date: June 16, 2011 06:38PM
Yeah, the idea is that it softens the solder, allowing it to rebond the dry joints.

Never tried it myself, though it's worth a shot as a very last resort before you stick a part in the bin.

I don't think it's the cause of the issue here though. If it is the graphics memory causing the problems, then it'll be the chips themselves causing the issues. The only slightly odd thing is that the graphics corruption is only in evidence when you start a game. Often you'd get random 'sparklies' at all stages, even in the POST screens.
Date: June 17, 2011 06:52AM
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't think it's the cause of the issue here
> though. If it is the graphics memory causing the
> problems, then it'll be the chips themselves
> causing the issues. The only slightly odd thing is
> that the graphics corruption is only in evidence
> when you start a game. Often you'd get random
> 'sparklies' at all stages, even in the POST
> screens.

Yes, that's what happened last year when it failed, which was why I wasn't initially sure if the video card failing was the problem.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: June 17, 2011 07:40AM
Posted by: NeilPearson
Id be more worried about what Chemicals might come off the card and hang around in the oven when doing that. I was tempted to do it with my 8800GTX that had failed... but i just dont want to poison myself :P

Date: June 17, 2011 09:10AM
Yeah, but you're a big girl's blouse.
Date: June 17, 2011 11:17AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Put a Q-Tec in the machine. It is known to fix all issues. *

* May not fix all issues.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy