Posted by ipswich2007 
Techy People, this GFX Card any good?
Date: May 20, 2011 05:53PM
Posted by: ipswich2007
[www.overclockers.co.uk]

Hi guys, found this card on oclockers.

My questions to you are

1. Do you think it's any good?

By this I mean, does any one have one or experience of one, or a similar model.

2. Will it meet my criteria? - The criteria are below.

3. Will it work with my other h/w , specs will be posted in second message.

3. If it doesn't answer yes to 1, 2 & 3 then can any one else suggest something of a similar price range that does?

Basically I'm looking to upgrade so that I can play current games on high settings (DX11),

I'd also like to play 1080p vid on my PC instead of having to copy to PS3 to play first.

GP3 compatibility is a must, although if this card meets my other criteria then I'll simply put GP3 on my older machine.

So ye basically what do you think, a definite no-no or a yes-yes! lol

get back to me

thanks in advance for anyone's time

all the best

p.s. if you wonder why i'm asking you guys, i'm not that much of a techy person lol, hence the thread name

edit - all the reviews on the site sound good, strange windows 64 bit problem though, wonder if that's been resolved

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2011 05:58PM by ipswich2007.
Re: Techy People, this GFX Card any good?
Date: May 20, 2011 06:01PM
O/S - Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Processor - AMD Phenom 9500 Quad-Core Processor 2.2 GHz

Motherboard - ASUS M4A78-E 3.62GHz

Memory - 2x Kingston 2GB DDR2

not sure if you need anythin else, lemme know if i need to add other components to this list

all the best

Date: May 20, 2011 06:56PM
Posted by: mika19b
Graphics card is good, although the 6xxx series is out now. So you might want to check the prices of them and compare them to the 5870 with some online benchmarks.

Also eventually I would upgrade your CPU, quad core is good but more and more games are needing more Ghz. Soon your 2.2Ghz will fall behind.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2011 06:57PM by mika19b.
Date: May 20, 2011 07:31PM
Posted by: gav
Graphics card is fine. XFX are apparently rubbish with their warranties if you need to fix the car for any reason, though normally the retailer can handle the first year of warranty (though they're under no obligation to).

Edit: as for whether it will run GP3 or GP4, I've no idea. They're older than the hills now, so you're better off asking in the GP3 forums about recent ATI cards and whether they run GP3 on 64-bit Windows. GPx never were the best programmed games, so it's not beyond the realms of possibility that 64-bit Windows would trip them up.

Edit 2: As for the processor, it's fine. It's not exactly cutting edge, but any quad core is at the upper end of the average specs, no matter how old it is.

What's your current graphics card?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2011 07:36PM by gav.
Date: May 20, 2011 07:39PM
@mika - thanks for your response mate :) appreciated.

@gav - gp3&4 , i have a partition with xp 32bit for running gp3 & 4 they work fine with my current specs on that partition, so its just the card im wondering if it works with 3 & 4

my current card is a geforce 7300 gs :/

not incredibly bad, but can't run anything newer than gp4 on high settings. plus no dx11 support

Date: May 21, 2011 09:05AM
If you graphics card is that low then I'll have doubts over whether your power supply will cope with such a jump in specs. What manufacturer and model is it?

A photo of the side of it (where the sticker is) with the case side removed will suffice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2011 09:08AM by gav.
Date: May 21, 2011 09:12AM
i gotta open my case to have a look cos i really can't remember off hand lol :/

i can see your point though

ill open it up and tell you whn i power down after fp3

Date: May 23, 2011 01:11PM
hi mate, checked i got a 400w PSU

Date: May 23, 2011 07:15PM
Posted by: mika19b
Would probably need a good brand 600watt at least to be on the safe side.
Date: May 23, 2011 07:33PM
600W would be over the top.

The brand is critical here - a cheap £15 PSU would just go 'bang' soon after you stick a high-end graphics card in it. Ask Dave - one set fire to his wallpaper.
Date: May 24, 2011 09:33AM
Posted by: msater
Every time PSU discussion comes up, we get the classic 'Dave set fire to his wallpaper' story. Can't say how many times I've seen that on here now :)

Anyway, I was thinking of getting a graphics card like ipswich is thinking of. But I decided I'd be better off getting a whole new new laptop or PC, since my current PC is a rubbish Dell from 6 years ago :/

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Date: May 24, 2011 07:04PM
msater
Every time PSU discussion comes up, we get the classic 'Dave set fire to his wallpaper' story. Can't say how many times I've seen that on here now :)

Well it's a good visual way of indicating how poor-quality PSUs can be. ;)
Date: May 24, 2011 07:16PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
I still have that wallpaper up too. :p Redecorating later this year and not putting a Q-Tec PSU near it. :p

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy