New Wheel suggestions

Posted by RenaultFan 
New Wheel suggestions
Date: April 13, 2011 12:16AM
Posted by: RenaultFan
Hi again guys

Well I'm in the market for a new wheel for the PC. I have had a logitech momo for the last 6 years or so and its finally died ( I have had to use my old logitech wingman wheel ). I want to go with a FF wheel but dont really want to spend the money on a G25 or G27, I was looking at this one and want you guys opinions on it

wheel

Im a little weary of the pedals though, but my momo pedals did last me 6 years. I only play GP4,RFactor and Nascar racing 2003. And sometimes so GTR2 and GT legends :-)

Any thoughts would be great

Jeremy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2011 12:17AM by RenaultFan.
Re: New Wheel suggestions
Date: April 13, 2011 10:35AM
Posted by: mortal
Seriously, wait, save some money and get a G25, they have come down in price a bit since the G27, you wont be sorry.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: April 13, 2011 05:51PM
Posted by: Daniel Knott
Dunno where mortal's been looking but it's certainly been the opposite - g25s have sky-rocketed in price since the g27 came out. Previously you could easily get one for £120, and even new for £100 at one point. Personally, i'm regretting i didn't get one then, as having a momo racing with limited rotation makes tracks with tight corners rather difficult - steering hacks are really not the way to go and are confusing.

A used G25 is expensive on ebay and who knows what condition it would be. A G27 is £220 / £230 the cheapest i've seen it.

You are obviously in america so can get things at half price thanks to the immorality of companies regarding europe.

If you want to spend about what you've got listed there, you could always try the Fanatec Porsche Carrera wheel:
[www.fanatec.de]

$160

Unfortunately, it's also €160 for europeans. Would have thought with a German company they would at least have some sympathy in this regard.
Only thing is, the pedals don't look the best design - they are modelled on actual porsche pedal design rather than functionality and it doesn't look very easy to heel/toe with them.
You get a clutch and a six speed gear stick though and the wheel is 900 degrees.
It's all plastic and gear driven but in terms of features it's the best you'll get for around that price.

Can't believe that even the Logitech Driving Force GT is £142.26 here [www.amazon.co.uk] i mean i swear a few years ago it was 70 or 80?

If fanatec sorted out their european pricing i would be tempted to get a GT3 RS wheel and clubsport pedals. They charge rediculous for their standalone gearstick though, so i would probably just buy a forcefeedback joystick and use that with some software that someone made (can't remember what it's called? right to shift or something?). With that software i think you might even be able to simulate not being able to shift into a certain gear using the forcefeedback of your joystick? But i'm not sure. Certainly if true, that would make it a lot better than the ones you get with wheels. Dunno how fanatec can sell it for €50 standalone. You can get a ff joystick for like £30 or something (to be honest i don't know much about them) and with that you can use it for other things too.

So yer i'm rather annoyed about the whole thing and don't know what to do myself.

H E L L O

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2011 08:28PM by Daniel Knott.
Date: April 13, 2011 07:47PM
Posted by: Guimengo
Jeremy, keep an eye out on newegg.com and frys.com. Best Buy occasionally has the odd wheel for a good price.

General rule seems to be to stay away from Ferrari/Thrustmaster brand. The Best Buy private auction site used to have your Momo (and mine ;)) for $47+shipping, if it pops up again I'll let you know (PM me your e-mail and you'll get an invite). Constantly check Amazon too, by the way.

Mine is the Logitech DFGT, I find it better than the Momo in every way. Only downside is the paddle shifters, they're more like paddle buttons. If you're creative you can create a paddle yourself and attach it to the wheel, I thought about doing so but I could never be arsed planning it properly :P.

PS: Bought mine for $105 from Best Buy after price matching to Fry's, late last year.
Date: April 13, 2011 08:54PM
Posted by: RenaultFan
cheers for the help guys, and Daniel im in Canada :-)
Date: April 13, 2011 11:21PM
Posted by: Daniel Knott
Okay well it's the same price for canada too :)

The only improvement of the df gt over the momo is 900 degrees rotation and also the brake bias little wheel thing (which itself is nothing major). The pedals are exactly the same.
So at your price, i'd get the carrera wheel but it's up to you.

Concerning myself, i don't really know what to do in terms of getting a new wheel.

H E L L O

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2011 11:22PM by Daniel Knott.
Date: April 14, 2011 07:58PM
Posted by: Guimengo
Daniel Knott Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Okay well it's the same price for canada too :)
>
> The only improvement of the df gt over the momo is
> 900 degrees rotation and also the brake bias
> little wheel thing (which itself is nothing
> major). The pedals are exactly the same.
> So at your price, i'd get the carrera wheel but
> it's up to you.
>
> Concerning myself, i don't really know what to do
> in terms of getting a new wheel.

The DFGT also has a ton of mappable buttons, extremely helpful. With your left thumb alone you are able to reach as many inputs as the entire MOMO wheel had. I'd like to point out that the thinner wheel and the black plasticky rubber feel better as well, the rubber never letting off little pieces like the Momo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2011 07:59PM by Guimengo.
Date: April 14, 2011 11:56PM
Posted by: rocker
I used to have an non-FF Thrustmaster Ferrari Wheel and it's good but I would say to you try the DFGT, got one last year (don't remember when, I think around october).

900 degrees rotation is a huge diference, also I like the DFGT red dial, on Race07/GtrEvo I use the x button for open the pit menu, go up and down with the + - buttons on the left and use the dial to set the numbers then I use the button on the middle of the dial to confirm the seetings.

I would like to try a Fanatec but here in Brazil it would be too expensive.

--------------------------------------------
Rocker
Date: April 15, 2011 04:56PM
Posted by: NaP
Hello,

I don't know if i'm posting in the right place, but my question is about getting a new wheel for pc (which one to buy).

Had a Thrustmaster wheel for about 10 years and had a lot of fun with it, but now it's time for replacement (already changed the potentiometers in the pedals, flippers don't work as they should be etc).

I've seen a "Logitech Driving Force GT" in a store but it didn't feel right (too plastic).

I'm not familiar with 900° rotation or clutch pedals, but looking for quality and good feedback wheel (simulation) for playing games like: SHIFT-series, F1-2010, GP4, DiRT-series, GRID, RBrally, GTR-series (any good games I missed?)

I'm really thinking of "g27" but it's expensive (eur 270,-) so why not a cheaper one like "Thrust Master RGT FFB CLUTCH" (eur 85,-), "Thrustmaster F430 Force Feedback" (eur 95), or another one.

So what is recommended for me?

Thanks in advanced,
NaP

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2011 05:07PM by NaP.
Date: April 16, 2011 01:42AM
Posted by: rocker
I think those two Thrustmaster are too plastic also (maybe the F430 isn't but I'm not sure).

I would go for sure with the DFGT or G27. G27 is a bit expensive here in Brazil (not that much, I could save a bit to buy one but I got a really good deal in my DFGT).
I think the clutch pedal in the Thrust Master RGT FFB CLUTCH is useless 'cause it just has sequential gear. Also the 900º rotation is really great.

The only thrustmaster I would want to try is this new Gran Turismo one, but it's too expensive and don't have a gear shift just paddles.

--------------------------------------------
Rocker
Date: April 17, 2011 02:13PM
Is the G27 worth it's money looking at finishing, response, loudness, feeling etc. compared with other wheels?
Date: April 17, 2011 02:45PM
Posted by: mortal
Review

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: April 17, 2011 03:24PM
I've seen some reviews (including this one), everyone says there product is the best. But how is it compared with other ones?

Is 900° rotation a big improvement (used 200°)?
How is it to have a clutch pedal, not used to have one? Is it in the way if you don't use it or is it an extra dimension for realism (except F1 etc)

Still thinking of getting one (90%), but why not a cheaper one?
Date: December 23, 2011 09:43PM
Posted by: marcosleonbianchi
So whta do you guys think: despite of the price, Thrustmaster T500 vs Logitech G27? Wich one is the best fo GP4?
And another thing: is 900 too important for the good driveability?
Date: December 25, 2011 11:59AM
Posted by: pankykapus
Well, the Thrustmaster is at least one category above the Logitech, it is much more robust and has stronger FFB, better, invertable pedals etc.
If you only wanna use it with GP4, I'd say both are overkill. If I recall correctly I only used the centering spring, no FFB and only 360 degrees of rotation with GP4. For GP4, I actually liked my old non-FFB 240 (or 270?) degree rotation wheel best.

Again, depends on what you play. 900-degree rotation only matters if you have the game to use it, such as rFactor, iRacing, GTL and other SimBim titles. Even if you don't go for realism, some people like to set various rotations to each and every car, and with a non-adjustable wheel it's impossible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2011 12:00PM by pankykapus.
Date: January 19, 2012 01:52PM
Posted by: NeilPearson
One of these please

[www.fanatec.de]

[www.fanatec.de]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2012 01:53PM by NeilPearson.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy