Laptop Help

Posted by DJSKYLINE 
Laptop Help
Date: April 06, 2011 02:54PM
Posted by: DJSKYLINE
Hi

I have a laptop that doesnt start up properly.

I mean I switch it on and the BIOS loading bar gets to about 1/8th across then the screen goes blank.

Could this mean the memory is dodgy?? I will try unplug one at a time tonight.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on what I could do/ whats wrong with it??

Thanks

Re: Laptop Help
Date: April 06, 2011 03:44PM
Actually the screen goes blank after the 1/8bar loads, I think it could still be working but just the screen is blank. (laptop remains powered on and lights flashing, hdd etc)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2011 03:44PM by DJSKYLINE.
Date: April 06, 2011 08:17PM
Posted by: gav
Leave the laptop to load for a few minutes, then press the power button. If the hard drive lights start flashing then the power goes off a ~10 seconds later or whatever it normally takes, then the main part of the laptop itself appears to be working fine.

It could be that part of the screen is faulty (possibly the inverter) and is going extremely dark after a few seconds (have a close look and see if you can spot the normal desktop or something, only extremely dark).
Date: April 07, 2011 06:59PM
Hey gav

I hooked it up to an external monitor and it displayed fine on there. I checked the bios contrast which was fine as was the other settings in the graphic card settings so like your suspicion it led me to believe the screen or inverter is faulty. I will probably change the inverter as its cheap and see what happens.

Even if I close the lid to put it in hibernation, then reopen the lid, it will show full lit up for like 2 seconds then go dim. Does this sound more like the inverter rather than screen backlight to you?

Date: April 07, 2011 07:26PM
I'd imagine if it's the backlight, you'd usually be able to see a faint image, whereas if it's the inverter, you'd see nothing. Still, if there's no image, it doesn't mean the screen itself isn't faulty, only that the backlight isn't.
Date: April 07, 2011 09:49PM
Sorry actually there is the faintest image on the screen, i mean really really really dim! Doh, i was hoping an inverter would fix this!

are you sure with a faulty inverter you wouldnt be able to see anything/? i searched online and some sources say if its dim it could still be the inverter??
[www.ehow.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2011 09:53PM by DJSKYLINE.
Date: April 07, 2011 10:02PM
Yeah, I was just following this up to correct myself. It actually appears the inverter is the more likely.

My own experience with the inverter was zero image, but that was on only the one laptop, so hardly conclusive.

If you intend on replacing it, do yourself a favour and have a damn good look for a service manual. It will take away 95% of the pain of dissembling a laptop. And take extra care when disconnecting keyboards, touchpads and anything else that uses a ribbon cable held in place with a fragile zif connector.
Date: April 08, 2011 07:24AM
Ah awesome. I really hope its that then!
I found a good online guide on how to replace it for the exact laptop and it has pictures so hopefully Ill be ok! Cheers for the tips!!

The laptop is not actually mine, im hoping to fix it to get good graces from a new friend haha!!

Will order an inverter and let you know how i get on :)

Date: April 10, 2011 06:38PM
replaced the inverter and its all fine! thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2011 07:23PM by DJSKYLINE.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy