iPad 2

Posted by MikaHalpinen 
Re: iPad 2
Date: March 04, 2011 07:36PM
Posted by: gav
msater

The way I see it, Windows 7 was made for desktops. Only good laptops can run it reasonably fast. Plus, I hate touchpads. Have never been able to get used to them. Android Tablets, on the other hand, now have a specific OS, Android Honeycomb, which was made for them. Nothing else will use it, although a version of it, called Android Ice Cream, will be made for phones.

You do realise there are any number of operating systems for most PCs? You don't need Windows at all.

Still, Windows 7 is just a general operating system. If a laptop can't run it well, then it's the fault of the manufacturer. We use some cheap Acer Ferrari Ones at work, which are just netbooks, and even on them Windows 7 is excellent and zippy.

I agree on the touchpad issue though - I don't get along with them at all (so use a tiny Logitech VX Nano mouse on my laptop), but no input method is perfect. All the popular ones are flawed - laptops have the touchpad and often a smaller-than-normal keyboard, touchscreens are poor for typing on and for accurate selection, while desktops have often space-consuming keyboards and mice which sometimes have wires trailing around.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2011 07:37PM by gav.
Date: March 04, 2011 08:35PM
Posted by: msater
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >
> The way I see it, Windows 7 was made for desktops.
> Only good laptops can run it reasonably fast.
> Plus, I hate touchpads. Have never been able to
> get used to them. Android Tablets, on the other
> hand, now have a specific OS, Android Honeycomb,
> which was made for them. Nothing else will use it,
> although a version of it, called Android Ice
> Cream, will be made for phones.
>
>
>
> You do realise there are any number of operating
> systems for most PCs? You don't need Windows at
> all.
>
> Still, Windows 7 is just a general operating
> system. If a laptop can't run it well, then it's
> the fault of the manufacturer. We use some cheap
> Acer Ferrari Ones at work, which are just
> netbooks, and even on them Windows 7 is excellent
> and zippy.
>
> I agree on the touchpad issue though - I don't get
> along with them at all (so use a tiny Logitech VX
> Nano mouse on my laptop), but no input method is
> perfect. All the popular ones are flawed - laptops
> have the touchpad and often a smaller-than-normal
> keyboard, touchscreens are poor for typing on and
> for accurate selection, while desktops have often
> space-consuming keyboards and mice which sometimes
> have wires trailing around.

I know about Ubuntu Netbook Edition and the various editions of Linux for netbooks - hell, I use Ubuntu myself for day to day stuff. I just feel laptops and desktops are more for actual work - I'd love a tablet for casually browsing the internet, using at school, and doing some Android Development on.

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2011 08:38PM by msater.
Date: March 04, 2011 09:07PM
Use of any non-Windows tablet in any half decent school is going to be limited to internet access only, and that's only if you've got a particularly understanding and casual network admin... and that's coming from a school network admin. ;-)
Date: March 04, 2011 11:32PM
gav Wrote:
> Use of any non-Windows tablet in any half decent
> school is going to be limited to internet access
> only, and that's only if you've got a particularly
> understanding and casual network admin... and
> that's coming from a school network admin. ;-)

I lied slightly - I'll actually be using it in Sixth Form, but as it's our school Sixth Form, it will still feel like school :p

In Sixth Form, we get access to the school WiFi, and I can play games n stuff when I'm not in lessons...so yeah, it should all be good...

Date: March 05, 2011 05:28AM
Posted by: Daniel Knott
i really have no idea why you would prefer a tablet as opposed to a cheap laptop (er yer i don't know what the difference is between notebooks, netbooks and all that it just seems pointless confusing categorisation to me).

£500? That is shedloads! you can buy a good desktop for that? and i imagine a good laptop? Mind you i haven't exactly looked, but even years ago, the original eee pc was less than £150 or something if i remember.

Yes, having a touchscreen is good but i think you can get laptops with those? Or are they expensive? Hopefully companies will incorporate them into laptops more often. It would be nice if they made ones that would work with actual pressure sensitive pens, that would be ideal. i think you can get this already but again, it's cost.

I don't get how you say that a tablet will run better than a laptop of that price. £500 is a lot and i'm pretty sure you can get laptops that will run windows 7 well for that unless it's really quite bad.
If you can't then from what you've said you want from it there is always linux which will probably run a whole lot faster and better than your tablet ever could on the same hardware anyway. And for small versions of linux you could even get puppy or something like that depending on what you want to do, and that seems really fast (though i still wouldn't choose it unless my hardware was @#$%& cos the interface looks a bit errr not to my tastes haha).

But honestly, android runs on top of linux so i don't get how you can magically think that an android tablet will be faster than a laptop can be for the same price - particularly considering that a tablet has to squeeze it all into a much smaller package. You can even install android on your laptop apparently if you really wanted to (so i've heard) - but i don't really get why you'd want to as it would be more restrictive than a normal os.

I dunno, i can see why these are good for phones but i really don't get the appeal of tablets.
Touchscreens and all these sensors are things that should be incorporated into normal laptops to extend functionality, not put effort into making bigger, restrictive dumb 'phones' which is what these tablets essentially are.

Also i have no idea how you plan to do development on an actual tablet. I assume you can plug a keyboard into it or that is going to be "fun". I have been pleasantly impressed with the typing on my zte blade's onscreen keyboard but it still doesn't replace a real keyboard at all.
And i haven't looked but can you even get good development tools for android anyway? I mean i know you can use just a text editor but once you've gone beyond using that it really isn't the most fun. Can't see many people developing directly on a tablet.
Unless you just meant for testing, which would make all of this moot.

In summary, i really don't get it.

H E L L O
Date: March 05, 2011 10:33AM
@Daniel Lie I said, I really don't like laptops. I've never ever been able to get used to trackpads, and the keyboards feel squashed and cramped to me. However, there will be a wireless keyboard for the Moto Xoom, and that connects wirelessly to theXoom; I then hook the tablet up to my TV in my room through DLNA or HDMI. There are some apps that are for development on Android; they're not on the market though. You use ASTRO file manager, text editor, bit of terminal, and the development tools and you're set.

Date: March 05, 2011 11:05AM
Daniel Knott
i really have no idea why you would prefer a tablet as opposed to a cheap laptop (er yer i don't know what the difference is between notebooks, netbooks and all that it just seems pointless confusing categorisation to me).

I've no idea if there's an actual definition of a netbook or a laptop, but for me, if it's small and doesn't have an optical drive, it's a netbook.

Further blurring the line between netbooks and laptops are CULVs (Consumer Ultra-Low Voltage), which are just the previous laptop chips put on an even bigger diet. Really, CULVs are where netbook chips will be for the next few years. Chips like Intel's Atom are going to have to reinvent themselves if they're going to compete with AMD's Fusion and Intel's own SUxxxx platforms.

Daniel Knott
Yes, having a touchscreen is good but i think you can get laptops with those? Or are they expensive? Hopefully companies will incorporate them into laptops more often. It would be nice if they made ones that would work with actual pressure sensitive pens, that would be ideal. i think you can get this already but again, it's cost.

You can get laptops with touchscreens, and of course touchscreen PCs, but they're usually full-blown laptops and desktop PCs, not cut down mobile devices, and serve a different market. Like tablets for most, touchscreen laptops and desktops are more about willy-waving at the moment than an actual tool. They have their uses, but like tablets they're niche uses, but again like a tablet they're desirable.

Lenovo have made laptops with built-in Wacom graphics tablets for a few years now.

Daniel Knott
I don't get how you say that a tablet will run better than a laptop of that price. £500 is a lot and i'm pretty sure you can get laptops that will run windows 7 well for that unless it's really quite bad.

As I said earlier in the thread, we've got a class full of Acer Ferrari Ones at work running Windows 7, and they're fantastic, despite their netbook/CULV processor. They cost us around £280 last year (so £330 with VAT) and really, they're all you could want from a non-gaming laptop (except the aesthetics of the things, but the kids love them!)

Daniel Knott
But honestly, android runs on top of linux so i don't get how you can magically think that an android tablet will be faster than a laptop can be for the same price

Android is based on the Linux kernal, but it's heavily modified.

Keep in mind that OS X, and thus iOS are based on Unix, as Linux is, so in reality Android and iOS use extremely similar base platforms.

Keep in mind that Linux can be absolutely tiny - literally - the Tiny Core Linux installation media is only ~10mb (including a GUI)!

Linux (and Unix) really is incredibly flexible.
Date: March 06, 2011 02:05PM
Posted by: Monza972
msater
I lied slightly - I'll actually be using it in Sixth Form, but as it's our school Sixth Form, it will still feel like school :p

In Sixth Form, we get access to the school WiFi, and I can play games n stuff when I'm not in lessons...so yeah, it should all be good...

Even I get access to my Sixth Form WiFi on my phone during my free breaks and lessons but trust me, you won't even have time to be to playing games because the amount of work you'll get is immense.
Date: March 06, 2011 05:10PM
Monza972 Wrote:
> > I lied slightly - I'll actually be using it in
> Sixth Form, but as it's our school Sixth Form, it
> will still feel like school :p
>
> In Sixth Form, we get access to the school WiFi,
> and I can play games n stuff when I'm not in
> lessons...so yeah, it should all be good...
>
>
>
> Even I get access to my Sixth Form WiFi on my
> phone during my free breaks and lessons but trust
> me, you won't even have time to be to playing
> games because the amount of work you'll get is
> immense.

I shall keep that mind :D

Date: March 09, 2011 03:48AM
Posted by: EC83
The only way I can see a touchscreen being beneficial is on a phone, over having old-school keys(like I still have on my current phone, which dates back to 2008). In that situation the touchscreen is a huge help. In any other situation, with a computer, I'm very happy using a conventional keyboard and even think it's better than a touchscreen - much cheaper, and it's more difficult to accidentally click/press the wrong thing on the screen.

Regarding the iPad, the more I read about it, the more I absolutely hate it and fail to get why anybody is buying it. I have liked the iPhone for a while, and I would've got one before now if it wasn't for the very expensive price of them too. But as pointed out already, this thing is bigger and heavier(and more expensive) than the iPhone and it does less. It should be the marketing definition of a fail, and yet people are buying it... Why?!
Even with this iPad 2, they've added cameras(Woohoo!) and made it a bit smaller and lighter, but not much else. And the storage capacity, even on the highest currently available version, is only 64GB, which seems ridiculously small. So yeah, it's less crap than the original was IMO, rather than better.
If I wanted a frisbee I'd be spending a lot less on it than this costs.

Date: March 13, 2011 06:07PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
For a supposedly more powerful decide, with a higher cost than the competitors, the Xoom really s a pile of sh*te in the benchmarks.

[www.anandtech.com]
[www.electronista.com]

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: March 13, 2011 09:15PM
The Xoom has the same base processor as the iPad 2, the ARM A9, though with a different (and rather lacklustre) GPU, but yeah, that's pretty @#$%&.

Hopefully it's just the Motorola implementation or the early version of Honeycomb, and they can sell at such a high price as rival manufacturers are still readying their Android devices. Google have proven they're capable of accelerating development at a frightening pace when they want to (just look at Chromium and the speed increases pushed into that over the past year), so hopefully for the good of the market the playing field will level out. :)

Not that it bothers me - I still don't have any desire to buy a tablet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2011 09:16PM by gav.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy