iPad 2

Posted by MikaHalpinen 
iPad 2
Date: March 03, 2011 03:25AM
Posted by: MikaHalpinen
I'm now getting to a point of embarrassment when it comes to the iPad - I still for the life of me can't understand what people do with it, and how that price is justified. Having said that, I read about the launch of the iPad 2, and apart from having a forward and rear facing camera and is now thinner, nothing's really changed? I just don't get it :(
Re: iPad 2
Date: March 03, 2011 06:43AM
Posted by: Guimengo
Hype, impulse, and stupidity all combined.
Date: March 03, 2011 09:19AM
Posted by: marcl
It still does nothing my iPhone cannot do so I do not see the point.

Until they include camera card readers and USB ports I would not even think about it.
Date: March 03, 2011 10:21AM
Posted by: danm
My girlfriends dad and her stepmum had one for christmas - it more or less was a larger, steamrolled iphone that had been castrated.

It plays angrybirds for those with fat little sausage fingers.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: March 03, 2011 04:33PM
Posted by: IWE
Guimengo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hype, impulse, and stupidity

Think different be dumb and buy Apple (Y)

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Date: March 03, 2011 06:47PM
Posted by: gav
IWE
Think different be dumb and buy Apple (Y)

I wouldn't go that far. I'm probably noted for my dislike of the Apple sheep (rather than the products), but the iPad is useful to those who just want to read internet pages, or I'm sure use a few apps that also suit it. For me, it's not much use beyond that, but if that's all you want from a device, then the only issue is the price - and that's down to an almost believable £330 now.

I'll never buy one, but at a respectable price and depending on how well you'd use the extremely limited capabilities, tablets might be an option. Maybe in 20 years, when the cloud is dominating the market to the extent that your gaming is being processed on another PC, but certainly not currently.

For the vast majority, they're a fashion accessory. I prefer tools myself.
Date: March 03, 2011 07:34PM
Posted by: IWE

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Date: March 03, 2011 07:44PM
Posted by: loren
Apple does some things really well, like user interface design. I literally saw a kid in diapers using an ipad the other day.

But they've never managed to make serious computers. They got some fashionable industrial design which allowed them to sell their stuff to the masses and not just to school computer labs, but they're still toys.

I can't see paying almost what I would for a laptop for what is basically an oversized phone. And when the price comes down to anywhere near affordable, they'll come out with a new model and raise it up again. People buy their stuff so obviously this works for them, but I can find better things to spend my money on.
Date: March 03, 2011 07:50PM
Posted by: Guimengo
The one thing I can find the iPad has that the iPhone doesn't is a virtual "notebook" thing.
Date: March 03, 2011 08:41PM
Posted by: msater
I'm buying a Motorola Xoom. Runs Android, the OS (Android Honeycomb) is made for tablets, and the tablets specs are great.

I'm learning to develop for Android, so this is perfect for me. I can develop on the tablet, then try and run it on the same tablet. No transferring files like I have to do with my phone.

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Date: March 03, 2011 11:07PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
I just googled the Xoom. Holy crap, lmao. $800 starting price? REALLY?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: March 03, 2011 11:12PM
DaveEllis Wrote:
> I just googled the Xoom. Holy crap, lmao. $800
> starting price? REALLY?

Cheaper here in UK, £500 for Wifi version (although I think Amazon will undercut PC World's pricing) and £600 for WiFi + 3G on Amazon.

The reason it's more expensive in the US is it will be converted for free to Verizon LTE/4G, officially by Verizon.

Date: March 04, 2011 12:02AM
Posted by: 97kirkc
Erm, changing currency does not equal cheaper. $800 IS £500 converted, which is a stupidly high price for what it is. It's meant to be filling a gap between a laptop and a netbook, and you can get a decent laptop in this day and age for £500. You aren't going to even attract your target audience when the benchmark you're going against is doing it for about £200 cheaper a unit.

I do have an iPad, and I do think it depends on your set up. It's great for just lounging around browsing the net, or twitter and watching youtube videos. I also have a Synology NAS box here with all my videos/music etc on, which can stream not only to my xbox but also the iPad (dnla compliant app called Airplayer). So I can just pick it up and watch anything I want really, which is great! The price is slightly high in my opinion, but that should now start coming down to a more acceptable level.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2011 12:04AM by 97kirkc.
Date: March 04, 2011 06:58AM
Posted by: Morbid
[theoatmeal.com]

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: March 04, 2011 08:24AM
Posted by: R1zbear
IWE Wrote:
> [tabletcrunch.com]
> /dell-inspiron-duo-tablet-laptop.jpg

I like it.

Date: March 04, 2011 09:02AM
Posted by: gav
Morbid
[theoatmeal.com]

Bugger! I was looking for that yesterday morning in reply to Gui's post, but couldn't remember where it was. ;)
Date: March 04, 2011 12:58PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Cheaper here in UK, £500 for Wifi version (although I think Amazon will undercut PC World's pricing) and £600 for WiFi + 3G on Amazon.

$800 converts to £491. And if I know anything about which number is bigger than the other, that makes the British release more expensive than the "more expensive" US version.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: March 04, 2011 06:16PM
Meh about the pricing. I'm don't like laptops (bad experiences with them) and you need to spend a good amount to get one that isn't slow.

The tablet has good specs, reasonably light, good size, and runs an OS made specifically for it, unlike a laptop.

Date: March 04, 2011 06:19PM
Posted by: 97kirkc
...that...doesn't make any sense. OS not made for a laptop, what?

Date: March 04, 2011 07:07PM
97kirkc Wrote:
> ...that...doesn't make any sense. OS not made for
> a laptop, what?

The way I see it, Windows 7 was made for desktops. Only good laptops can run it reasonably fast. Plus, I hate touchpads. Have never been able to get used to them. Android Tablets, on the other hand, now have a specific OS, Android Honeycomb, which was made for them. Nothing else will use it, although a version of it, called Android Ice Cream, will be made for phones.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy