Android or iOS?

Posted by msater 
Android or iOS?
Date: February 01, 2011 11:54PM
Posted by: msater
Hi there,

Just want a general opinion about what mobile OS you like more. If there's another one (Symbian, webOS etc) please state, but my primary objecticve is to find out how many people like Android compared to iOS and vice versa.

Just for the record, I'm an Android person, I have a Google Nexus One :)

Thanks,

Philip

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Re: Android or iOS?
Date: February 02, 2011 02:20AM
Posted by: matt3454
I moved from an iPhone 3G to a HTC Desire and I don't think i would go back to Apple now.

To me the iPhone interface seems very bland (I can't quite describe it fully). But I much prefer Android.

I think it's because I like tinkering with my phone (currently have a custom ROM on my Desire).

I do miss the iTunes integration but thats about it I think.

I've never seen the big deal with app's either. With both my iPhone and Android i've gone mad on apps for the first week or so, but now I only use about 5 app's regulary (Facebook, Tweetdeck, Sickipedia & Engadget are the ones that come to my head).

I love the Google Navigation as well.

Windows 7 phone looks interesting.

Date: February 02, 2011 10:25AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
iOS. Android depends too much on the device itself. There are loads of builds, and not all work with all handsets. Some handsets (such as the Wildfire) are just trash. App development is also harder. Go check out Angry Birds on it for some lawls.

For me, phones have always been too complex for a handheld device. iOS was the first mobile OS I used that didn't feel too cluttered and silly to use. Windows 7 Phone appears to be the same idea - simple and effective.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: February 02, 2011 04:04PM
Whats wrong with Angry Birds? I've played it on both my iPhone and Desire and they both ran exactly the same (apart from the advertising inside the android version.)

Although I think Dave is right with the fact you've got to pick your handset wisely with Android. Its always best going for a flagship model that is well supported by the manufactuer and community.

Date: February 02, 2011 04:50PM
I'm running a custom ROM on my Nexus One (MIUI) and I have to say it's brilliant. I have a friend who says rooting + flashing isn't beneficial, but he had a bad experience with it. I had a very good experience, so I can truthfully say I've got a lot out of it.

App development; because of fragmentation and all that, it is harder to develop for Android. But I think it's definitely possible, you just need to make it for a mid range device with options to turns graphics up (or down for lower end) for higher end devices.

My Nexus One was preowned, so I got it cheap, but it's very similar to a Desire in terms of specs. I have also overclocked it and put a custom kernel + radio on it, making it loads faster :) :)

Date: February 02, 2011 08:23PM
Posted by: gav
DaveEllis
iOS. Android depends too much on the device itself. There are loads of builds, and not all work with all handsets. Some handsets (such as the Wildfire) are just trash. App development is also harder. Go check out Angry Birds on it for some lawls.

I'd argue Android for the exact opposite reason. You can get decent Android phones for £100 (the Orange San Francisco being the obvious example) and they can cover the all bases depending on how much you want to spend and what you want form it. The iPhone is expensive whichever way you look at it (there are more expensive phones on other platforms too of course).

Regarding apps being harder to program for the Android, developers I see say the opposite - the problem with Angry Birds (and indeed other 3D programs) show the downside to the flexibility of hardware. It's harder to program for Android for some specific purposes, but the vast majority of programs aren't affected in the slightest, and iOS developers were banging their heads against walls in 2010 with the constant changes to what you could publish and which programming languages were allowed.

I don't think one OS is better than another. Android, iOS and WP7 all have their advantages and disadvantages across the range, and it's more what you want to do with the phone which determines which one you buy. Unless you're a sheep of course.

For the sake of clarity, at the moment my next phone would be an Android phone, but WP7 is gathering pace quickly, so by the time I come to update my HTC Touch Pro, they could all have changed no end. Currently you can't make a poor decision with any of those 3 really.
Date: February 02, 2011 08:40PM
Gav speaks his wise words once again :P

Date: February 02, 2011 11:18PM
Posted by: Zcott
I think everything in this thread is worth taking into account. If you want something you can tinker with, something you can hack a bit and occasionally suffer the consequences, go with Android. If you want something which won't give you any fuss and just works, go for iOS. My days of tinkering with stuff are over, so it's iOS all the way for me. It's a much more polished interface, which is what I want.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2011 11:18PM by Zcott.
Date: February 03, 2011 02:11AM
Yeah il'd agree. If you want a device you could also happily give to your half blind gran then get a iOS device, they really are polished and well presented. The app selection is also second to none.

Android is rapidly catching up though and they finally seem to be updating their god awful stock music player.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy