ADSL Modem question, is it dead?

Posted by mortal 
ADSL Modem question, is it dead?
Date: November 24, 2010 04:33AM
Posted by: mortal
If I cannot log in to a modem with the correct home address is it dead? A friend cannot connect to the internets, the internet light on the Linksys AM300 modem is red. One of his sons is blaming his brother for downloading a virus but I've had a quick look at the laptop and everything looks good. Network and Sharing Centre says there is a problem connecting to the router, or something like that. I brought the modem home, so I could configure it for my adsl and test it, I downloaded a user-guide which gave me the log in addy [192.168.1.1] Attempts to log in to the modem consistently time-out.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Re: ADSL Modem question, is it dead?
Date: November 24, 2010 09:51AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
One of his sons is blaming his brother for downloading a virus

One of his sons is an idiot then.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: November 24, 2010 09:55AM
One of his sons is an idiot then.

Already known fact Dave. (Y)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: November 24, 2010 02:26PM
Posted by: MikaHalpinen
It's a shame this forum seems to have died in the butt.
Date: November 24, 2010 02:39PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
It is possible that it could be a problem with the connection, so it might be worth him calling his ISP.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: November 24, 2010 03:10PM
Posted by: senninho
What are the rest of the lights doing? It is usually possible to change the LAN settings, so it could be that the router's IP is no longer the one in the manual.

You could also try a factory reset, via a pin in the hole in the back, but that's generally a second-to-last resort ;-)

Date: November 24, 2010 05:41PM
Posted by: mcdo
Is the modem compatible with their ISP?
Did they activate their ADSL account?
Is their landline working?
Reboot laptop?
Outage?
Date: November 24, 2010 06:47PM
Posted by: Zcott
Tried a factory reset?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2010 06:47PM by Zcott.
Date: November 24, 2010 09:59PM
Posted by: gav
If you can't connect via a CAT5 cable then it's either the networking connection on the PC, a dodgy cable or a dead router. It's not the ADSL connection if you can't connect to the router.
Date: November 24, 2010 10:08PM
The network settings are correct, so I can discount the laptop, it cannot be the cable, as it does the same thing here as it does there, and my cable is working right now, otherwise I would not be writing this, so discount the cable, therefore the conclusion is as I thought, a dead router.
There is no factory reset on this particular model, and it is a pretty old one. I bought him a 4 port Netgear DG504T on Ebay last night for $A36.00. I've asked him to call his isp to get the settings for the router so I can set up his username, password etc. As a bonus he can now connect the X-Box and the other computer, that should eliminate the internet wars between the brothers. ;)
Thanks everyone for the advice.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy