Cold calling...

Posted by J i m 
Cold calling...
Date: October 27, 2010 10:49AM
Posted by: J i m
Yesterday (just as I were about to walk out my door to drive to work, so if I'm honest I was even less open to this kind of thing than usual) the phone rings, I forget the name of the company, but they asked me if they were speaking to my name, to which I naively confirmed, they then immediately assumed it was okay to call me by some nickname. So already I was quite wary of this call.

Then they started talking about me having been in a road accident a "couple of years ago" (very vague I thought) and that they could help me claim compensation of "approximately four figures".

Now, and this is the funny part, I've never been involved in a road accident in my life, neither driving, as passenger or pedestrian. So since I literally had one foot out of my door to go to work I wasted no time in informing them of this crucial little nugget of information.

"I don't understand" I replied, "I've never been involved in a road traffic incident in my life."

They seemed genuinely surprised at this.

"Oh really?!" they said in a high pitched tone of surprise "Are you sure?"

"Um..." I begun "I'd think I'd remember to be honest."

"Oh... ah.. oohkay, erm I'll remove your details from the system and you won't hear from us again."

I fully expect another phone call imminently ;). There's a important point in there to, firstly they didn't enquire if it was a good time for me to talk, they didn't ask permission to refer to me by a altered version of my name, yet in my experience this part is typical of cold callers. When claims advisory group originally called me about PPI mis-selling, they told me that I had such a beautiful name etc, and this just struck me as such a blatantly transparent attempt to manipulate.

From now on, any phone call from any company, I'll always ask them what the phone call is about before confirming any piece of information, even my name.

Re: Cold calling...
Date: October 27, 2010 03:40PM
Posted by: Morbid
Just to flesh out the basics... If people cold call you, and promise you money for nothing - then it is a scam!

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: October 27, 2010 05:46PM
Posted by: Monza972
If they do offer you money tell them that you have a cousin in Nigeria who wants the money and that they should wire it to him directly. ;)
Date: October 27, 2010 10:21PM
Posted by: Vader
When being phoned by companies I always pretend to have tourette MUTHA FU*KAS.

No kidding, it REALLY happend. Some Last Day Church missionaries were at my door recently. They said "We'd like to talk with you about God." I said "Why? What has that little brat done this time?" They left.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: October 28, 2010 03:49AM
Posted by: MikaHalpinen
I remember finishing my second year of uni and having a massive houseparty and had heaps of people sleep over on the floor - the next morning Jehovah's witnesses or seventh day adventists or something (apologies for the blase grouping but it was one of those lot) came a-knocking, i answered it presumably looking worse for wear, and then decided to argue with them about why god allows tornadoes - I don't know why tornadoes specifically, but who knows what was going through my head at that stage. Anywho I just love picturing the poor guys politely discussing their beliefs with me arguing about tornadoes with all these people on the ground behind me. They didn't come back though
Date: October 28, 2010 09:11AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Vader Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When being phoned by companies I always pretend to
> have tourette MUTHA FU*KAS.
>
> No kidding, it REALLY happend. Some Last Day
> Church missionaries were at my door recently. They
> said "We'd like to talk with you about God." I
> said "Why? What has that little brat done this
> time?" They left.

Genius. Reminds me of bash.org classic.

<rockpapertaxi> so this guy comes to the door
<rockpapertaxi> a jehovah's witness
<rockpapertaxi> and he's like "can i interest you in the word of christ"
<rockpapertaxi> and adam's like "sorry i have to shut the door"
<rockpapertaxi> and the guy goes why?
<rockpapertaxi> and adam's like "our sacrificial goat will get out"

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: October 28, 2010 12:31PM
Posted by: danm
a couple of jehovas knocked on my door one time and only my brother was in.

bearing in mind he is 22, has brittle bones and is only about 4'10 tall.

the couple greeted him with the line: 'hello. i can see you are suffering...'

needless to say he swore at them and shut the door.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: October 28, 2010 06:07PM
Posted by: senninho
I think I had a call from the same people today - asking if I'd been in an accident recently. I grilled them and they said they will have 'been passed my number' from an insurer if I'd had a claim recently, or from a couple of comparison websites.

Date: October 29, 2010 05:07AM
Posted by: Guimengo
When I was about 8 and was at my grandparents house in the countryside, some of those people came by. I said we were all Jews and they left. Why I said that I don't know but it worked ;).
Date: October 29, 2010 06:06AM
Posted by: mortal
Some people came to the door last weekend and asked if I could help out towards the floods in Pakistan, I said I'd love to but my garden hose only reaches the front gate. ;)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy