Laptop fan always on

Posted by MikaHalpinen 
Laptop fan always on
Date: September 29, 2010 09:07AM
Posted by: MikaHalpinen
Had a quick google, not much luck, seems there's a lot of crackpots out there on the internet, who knew?

But yeah, problem is as subject. It's an ASUS PRO50S, and for about 2 months now it's had its fan going nonstop. Is there a simple fix or does it mean the whole thing is on the way out? I'm thinking it's like heart failure where initial compensation is its ultimate demise. I like analogies.
Re: Laptop fan always on
Date: September 29, 2010 09:10AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Is it actually hot? Install SIW (which is awesome for everything) and look at the temps.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: September 29, 2010 10:47AM
cheers dave.

[EDIT] Ignore that it's called mike PC.....There was a reason I did that, years ago, but I can't now recall why. I promise it's a laptop ;)

[EDIT EDIT] There's no battery issue, I had it unplugged and was doing all this in front of the tv, watching the news. Incidentally, australia's next top model winner announcement fail for the lulz

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2010 10:50AM by MikaHalpinen.
Date: September 29, 2010 12:05PM
Posted by: SpaceAce
I know with Win7 my laptop fan would get stuck on; normally after coming out of hibernation or standby.
Quick reset and it fixed itself.
Granted, I never found another solution. Didn't really bother me!
Hope you find a solution!

GPGSL WDC Season 4
Date: September 29, 2010 12:58PM
Posted by: gav
First off, a disclaimer - all software is subjective - the BIOS included. They don't report the actual temperature, more their interpretation of the data that they are fed - the only true measure of the temperature is the CPU itself, the one which will cause the PC to switch off instantly (which the BIOS can also do). That said, the core temperatures are generally accepted to be fairly reliable with the Core1 series upwards - far more reliable than the ones used in most motherboard software and the BIOS. Still, software which reads the core temperatures can still vary by up to 5c in my experience, depending on the chip and software used.

With that out of the way, the temperatures you should be looking at are the 2 core temperatures. I'd say with those temperatures the fan probably ought to be on. The graphics card is OK (they'll happily reach 90c, and the fan speed ought to scale as that temperature rises), so I'd imagine it's the CPU temps which are causing the fan to kick in.

The temps aren't bad (that CPU is designed to shutdown at 90c apparently) but I'd say that they're high enough to warrant the fan to be on. The hard drive temp is a bit higher than I'd expect, but they are designed to run a bit warmer in laptops, and they don't trigger the fan to kick in.

It's certainly not indicative of an imminent failure. :)
Date: September 29, 2010 02:11PM
Hmm, righto, cheers. Guess it's not a big deal, just wondering why it's started as of late. Particularly since it's been effing cold !
Date: September 29, 2010 02:16PM
Posted by: gav
Perhaps it's clogged up with dust? The CPU's aren't stuck processing something in Task Manager are they?
Date: September 29, 2010 02:17PM
It's hovering around 2-3% CPU usage. Could probably do with a decent clean, might take it apart over the weekend
Date: September 29, 2010 05:22PM
Posted by: Vader
You should seriously consider defraggling your motherdisk.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: September 30, 2010 05:17AM
vader i love you like a father but that is too ooooollllldddd to be funny ..;-)
Date: September 30, 2010 12:00PM
Posted by: miffy
Get a can of compressed air and take the back of your laptop and spay all the dust out. You will see a big drop in temp.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy