Anybody knows or understand music policies and stuff?

Posted by dio69 
Anybody knows or understand music policies and stuff?
Date: September 09, 2010 02:32AM
Posted by: dio69
Here's the thing.
I've made a remix of a song. And the problem is that i don't know who to contact.
The artist, or the label?
Re: Anybody knows or understand music policies and stuff?
Date: September 09, 2010 04:42AM
Posted by: EC83
Since music is actually the property of the label an artist is signed to rather than the artist themselves, it would be the label you should contact. I think.

Date: September 10, 2010 02:41PM
Posted by: Vader
EC83 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Since music is actually the property of the label
> an artist is signed to rather than the artist
> themselves, it would be the label you should
> contact. I think.

That's not necessarily the case. First of all song writers have copyrights on their intellectual property and the songs are theirs.
However, recordings/prodution and distribution cost money - a LOT of money, more then most new bands usually have (though with ProTools and stuff recording and production costs have dropped drastically).

Record companies cover these costs in advance and often get copyrights for the songs in exchange, so artists only get royalties.

Big artists don't have to sell the rights to their songs because they have enough money, respectively they can be sure selling the finished product will cover production costs anyway.

In other words, the bigger the artist the more likely you will have to contact them ( or their management)

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: September 10, 2010 04:43PM
Oh! Well, guess that mix is never going see the light, 'cus i doubt that the tik tok girl would ever reply to a myspace message, but i will try anyway.

Thanks
Date: September 10, 2010 06:24PM
Posted by: Guimengo
Put a disclaimer on the message like, "upon not receiving a reply it will be assumed that you did not object to the release of this tribute to your work."

Sneaky but oh well ;).
Date: September 10, 2010 07:25PM
In Germany the law says that if you MAY use samples from another artists work without asking IF you create something new which has nothing to do with the original source of the sample - PROVIDED you are not copying a whole theme or a melody AND you could not have possibly produced this sound sample yourself. That means that sampling a guitar riff would be illegal, since you could have recorded the guitar yourself. Any other way of using even the tiniest bit from anothers artists work without permission is illegal.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: September 10, 2010 11:32PM
Posted by: EC83
That's cool Vader, thanks for the correction. I was fairly sure but not 100%, so that's helped me too.

Date: September 11, 2010 10:44AM
Posted by: SpaceAce
Granted as long as got not making money off it, and your only using small sections, I wouldn't worry about it.

GPGSL WDC Season 4
Date: September 11, 2010 03:08PM
well, yesterday just sended the message, still will not expect a answer.
Oh, and the "only" thing i used was two parts of her vocals, so, it isn't a "big" thing, because everything else was done by me.
Date: September 11, 2010 05:34PM
Don't expect an answer. I've been googling here. Do you really think she can read and write?

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: September 12, 2010 06:38PM
Well, no. But she has the money to pay someone to do that job, i guess.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy