The phone Gods are against me!

Posted by SexySam182 
The phone Gods are against me!
Date: September 05, 2010 03:24PM
Posted by: SexySam182
So over the past few weeks I've suffered some serious bad luck with phones, I just wanted to share my tale and find out if any other members have any similar stories.

Two weeks ago I was cycling with my girlfriend when my Nokia 5800 fell out my pocket, by the time I had realised, gone back to look for it and phoned it, someone had already picked it up and ditched the SIM card.

I wasnt too worried, I couldnt use the touchscreen very well anyway, so I called Virgin Mobile and got them to send me a new SIM and went back to my trusty old Nokia 6300. Unfortunately as I was going to the Reading festival 2 days later, I had to take my phone without a SIM and buy one up there, not a massive problem, but a bit of a pain anyway.

I returned from Reading with my new SIM having arrived in the post and was happy.

My girlfriend went on holiday to France on wednesday, and on friday morning I got a text from her friends phone saying that she had her bag stolen whilst she was out, and like me had therefore lost her 5800.

And to cap things off, last night I tried to call one of my friends, only to find out that whilst I could hear them talking, they couldnt hear me. Ok I thought, not too bothered, my dad has an old broken 6300 lying around at home, I'll take the microphone off that and stick in mine.

So this morning I take the two apart, swap the microphones over and... same problem still occurs. Father returns home to tell me the problem with the other phone was the same as with mine and wasnt related to the microphone, but a component having snapped off the circuit board and therefore unfixable.

Thus leaving me with a battered Nokia 6230 until my contract is up in February.

So I just wanted to get that off my chest, if anyone else has any similar stories please share.

Re: The phone Gods are against me!
Date: September 05, 2010 05:13PM
Posted by: Monza972
It's a Nokia. Problems seemed to appear on phones by them after 2007. They're getting sh*te by the day and it's not worth using them anymore. If you must use a Nokia, use the grand old 3310. Best in the range. Plus the 5800 has the old type of touchscreen technology. It's where you can use any damn thing you can find and point at it and it will work. It's the least sensitive of them all. The one I've got (X6) has a screen like the iPhone. Only the touch of a finger can operate it.

I had the 6630 since 2005 and in 2009 it just flopped. Everytime I tried to call anyone it just wouldn't work since the phone wouldn't call whether I used the green button or not. Got to use a 6680 from my parents for a while and realised the camera was utter bollocks since everytime I used the flash it made the whole picture yellow.

Phones just seem to die aimlessly these days. :(
Date: September 05, 2010 06:07PM
Posted by: Gigi4
Monza972 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you must use a Nokia, use the grand old 3310.

+1

My story is the more or less opposite of yours. In October I decided to replace my LG U310 (as charger connector was broken, I couldn't charge it). I chose a Nokia 3120 Classic: I liked it's style and it was cheaper enough, having many functions (double camera, FM radio, UMTS) and used it for about 1 months. Then it felt in water :-( and I couldn't power it on. Anyway, I tried to bring it repairing, after drying with a phon. Coming back from my Germany trip in late December, they told me there was nothing to do. Don't know why, I didn't trow it in the trash. I then bought the cheapest phone I could find (18€), another time a Nokia, a 1209, more or less a 3310 with a different design. Some days ago I was very bored so, after having disassembled an old printer that didn't work anymore, I decided to disassemble the 3120 Classic: they told me it was all oxidized, so I was curious to see it but ... the phone powered on :-O. Only sometimes there are some pixels (4/5) that don't work properly and it's a little bit scratched, but it works :-D

Date: September 05, 2010 06:29PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
It's all because you listen to Enter Shitari :)
Date: September 05, 2010 07:40PM
Posted by: Morbid
SexySam182 Wrote:
> Thus leaving me with a battered Nokia 6230 until
> my contract is up in February.

You hush now! The 6230 is a brilliant phone, and almost impossible to destroy. The 6230i is still serving me well! Sure you won't impress your friends with it, but if your friends have to be impressed by the stuff you have instead of who you really are, what does that tell you?

Monza972 Wrote:
> Phones just seem to die aimlessly these days. :(

This is on purpose. All the major manufacturers have publicly admitted, that their design specifications are aimed at a 1 to 2 year life expectancy. If your trusty 6230i does not implode, what possible wish could you have for buying a new phone? Except capitalist induced peer pressure, that is designed to prey on your low sense of self and shaky self-esteem, of course! Once everyone has a phone, the market is saturated and sales plummet...

I come from a time when all homes had hard-line phones, and nobody had cell-phones. Those phones lasted for decades and where not doodads to showcase (lack of) identity. Strains of this culture still carry on. While you can buy hard-line phones for the same price as mobile phones, people still expect the hard-line phone to last for years and years. Nobody would accept the product quality that is currently rampaging the mobile market.

They only reason mobile phones are so crappy these days, are because you as consumers decided to vote FOR IT, with fistfuls of cash, in lame attempts to one-up your peers.

As former president Jimmy Carter put it in a speech in 1979:

In a nation that was proud of hard work, strong families, close-knit communities, and our faith in God, too many of us now tend to worship self-indulgence and consumption. Human identity is no longer defined by what one does, but by what one owns. But we’ve discovered that owning things and consuming things does not satisfy our longing for meaning. We’ve learned that piling up material goods cannot fill the emptiness of lives which have no confidence or purpose.

Unfortunately, we did not discover what Carter said we did. We never broke free. So the emptiness in our lives, that comes from mindless consumption, we now medicate with more and more consumption.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2010 07:52PM by Morbid.
Date: September 05, 2010 08:28PM
Posted by: harjinator
i'm on my second N85. Have to say though, since Nokia rebuilt it (after microphone died) it's been much better. 1 day battery life, a whistling charger, and occasional bouts of slowdown are my main annoyances. Tbh, there isn't a phone brand left that i'd trust for my next phone. had a samsung (which was awful), everything i own that's sony dies v quickly, and my previous two Nokias have both been iffy. Oh and i can't use touchscreens. Any touchscreen... evil things!

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
Date: September 05, 2010 10:17PM
The NSeries phones are awful and buggy. That's the whole reason I went away from my decision to buy a N97. How that second N85 of yours has managed to remain alive I cannot understand.

Nowadays there isn't a phone brand we can trust. All seem to have software flaws, they're locked on a network (easy workaround ofcourse) but when you're on O2 and they don't supply the latest firmware for your phone it really annoys the hell of you. Then when it dies due to a hack or whatever you have to cough up monies. Boo.
Date: September 05, 2010 10:31PM
lol, sounds like O2 are like Orange - my mate has a HTC desire on their network, and they're refusing to get the latest android update, which means his phone physically can't shut down due to a software bug...

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
Date: September 05, 2010 11:50PM
Posted by: Frantic
when everything else dies, just go back to Nokia 1100

Date: September 06, 2010 01:14PM
Frantic Wrote:
> when everything else dies, just go back to Nokia
> 1100

My mother uses that and My dad's on the 6210. No problems what so ever.
Date: September 06, 2010 01:23PM
Posted by: Ferrari2007
I've got the Desire and it runs like a charm

I've got a Sony Ericsson W995 too and that is great, never had any problems with it and it's taken quite a battering over the time I've had it

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Date: September 06, 2010 09:18PM
lol, i go back to my Sagem X2. that thing is bulletproof - i even pelted it down the stairs once... it just bounced

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy