Re: What do you think of this PC?
Date: August 30, 2010 10:40PM
Posted by: Vader
I can't see your sig pic, Zcott.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: August 30, 2010 10:41PM
Posted by: Zcott
Will look into it. It was created on a PC.

Date: August 30, 2010 10:42PM
Posted by: Vader
I hate PC.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: August 31, 2010 12:55AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Yet to find anything important that doesn't work or isn't available.

3D Studio Max :P

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: August 31, 2010 01:28AM
Posted by: Zcott
Bootcamp and install Windows but I don't think the majority of computer users need 3d studio max installed...:P

Date: August 31, 2010 01:56AM
Posted by: danm
AutoCAD. As an architect > Macs = FAIL!

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: August 31, 2010 11:00AM
Posted by: gav
Zcott
Bootcamp and install Windows but I don't think the majority of computer users need 3d studio max installed...

Apple are even phasing out Boot Camp!
Date: August 31, 2010 11:29AM
Posted by: ZaZ
I have a mac G5 just for fun, but I don't think I will buy a new one soon. The only thing I really like (although it's a matter of taste) is its design.
The computer is completely 1 style, which makes it very suitable for the livingroom. With a PC you always have monitor of brand X keyboard of brand Y etc. You can match colors, but it looks messier and you have a bit more cable management to do.
Developing for the mac stinks. I hate the appstore and the fact you need to validate and buy an overpriced SDK.
I also had my share of lockups on a mac and the times I just turned off the power without shutting down properly, the mac simply refused to boot without doing a repair.
The computer is now about 3 or 4 years old I think, but it died last year. I needed to solder in some new components which had simply burst open. Turned out it is a common issue with the G5 due to the components being used.
After a couple of years they are just worn out or something.
And although the design of the screen looks pretty, the screen itself isn't fantastic. My Dell Ultrasharp is way better. I think it's fair to compare those two as they are in the same price range.

So Apple doesn't necessarily stand for quality. I have friends who had quite some issues with their Macs as well. One of them called appsupport or whatever it is called and was adviced to buy more RAM.
So he bought overpriced RAM from the appstore because he had troubles with audio latency. In the end he just needed a software update as his firewire audiocard had some issues.
I'm not anti-mac, but no fan either. I think I will only buy a new Mac if they are in the same price range, because the hardware isn't fantastic and the software (OS) isn't great either.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2010 11:30AM by ZaZ.
Date: August 31, 2010 12:11PM
Posted by: senninho
Zcott Wrote:
———————————————————————————

> Noting that the only person here suggesting that
> the OP buys a Mac is the only one who has used a
> Mac for more than 10 minutes. Hmm...

I've used mine for years, but find it hard to suggest buying one now on account of the inexplicable price hikes in recent years. The iMac was originally promoted as an entry-level, affordable machine. Apple really need to introduce something to re-fill that gap, as even the Mac Mini is now overpriced for what it is :(

Date: August 31, 2010 02:05PM
Posted by: matt3454
The big thing from your spec is the fact that it comes with (i think), a very high quality 27" screen. When I was looking into getting my iMac, the Dell equivilant screen was £800 alone.

GP4 and GTR2 were very playable inside a virtual machine. Anything newer would require bootcamp.

Date: August 31, 2010 02:29PM
Posted by: msater
The iMac was originally promoted as an entry-level, affordable machine. Apple really need to introduce something to re-fill that gap, as even the Mac Mini is now overpriced for what it is

Agreed. My bro has a Mac, and while it looks pretty, it doesn't do much. They're good for Graphics Design, and maybe for Audio making, but other than that, I see no real advantage.

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Date: August 31, 2010 03:03PM
Posted by: gav
I'd like to see what Aperture and Final Cut Pro were like on the Mac, but I expect I'd still use Lightroom and Premier Pro anyway. For 95% of the work that I do a Mac would be absolutely useless.

matt3454
The big thing from your spec is the fact that it comes with (i think), a very high quality 27" screen.

Shame it's completely the wrong resolution for gaming or doing anything productive. I hate trend of shifting to 16:9 monitors. If anything we need more vertical pixels, not less. :(
Date: August 31, 2010 05:59PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Zcott Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bootcamp and install Windows but I don't think the
> majority of computer users need 3d studio max
> installed...:P

I like that the Apple answer to stuff that doesn't work is install Windows :P Reminds me of the guide on getting Photoshop working on one of the Linux installs which required you to install it on Windows then copy it over :P

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: September 02, 2010 07:17PM
Posted by: senninho
gav Wrote:
> Shame it's completely the wrong resolution for
> gaming or doing anything productive. I hate trend
> of shifting to 16:9 monitors. If anything we need
> more vertical pixels, not less. :(

Ah, Apple are waaaay ahead of you on that ;)

Date: September 03, 2010 12:46PM
Posted by: msater
senninho Wrote:
>
> Ah, Apple are waaaay ahead of you on that ;)
>
> [myoldmac.net]
> .jpg

Awesome! When is it going on sale? :P

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Date: September 05, 2010 12:16AM
Posted by: harjinator
lol - that's class!

luckily, i can rotate both my monitors at work - i have one portrait for E-mails and the other landscape for CAD. Will keep it like this until i can convince them that we NEED bigger screens - they've given the graphics guys 30" twin monitors... we need the same!

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy