What do you think of this PC?

Posted by Gigi4 
What do you think of this PC?
Date: August 29, 2010 05:38PM
Posted by: Gigi4
After 6 years with my old PC I'm seriously thinking about buying a new PC.
As a student I've seen an offer for an iMac by Apple:

# 3.60GHz Intel Core i5
# 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
# 1TB Serial ATA Drive
# ATI Radeon HD 5670 512MB GDDR3 SDRAM
# 8x double-layer SuperDrive
# Apple Wireless Keyboard
# Magic Mouse

€ 1.578,48 payable in 10 months.

I have no experience with Macs, so I'm not sure how good is this for gaming and computer graphic (it looks a good Pc indeed, but I'm not sure about VGA).
And what about Mac compatibility with games and software not designed for Mac (GP4, for example)?

Re: What do you think of this PC?
Date: August 29, 2010 05:47PM
Posted by: senna9194
i've Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard on my pc and I've to say that it's a great OS:-)

for the not designed games just get Parallels Mac,create a virtual machine for XP\Vista\7 and you can play into the virtual machine:-)that's how i made(but with win98) to play F-22ADF:-)

My GPGSL Career
Date: August 29, 2010 06:03PM
Posted by: gav
€1500 for a PC with a HD 5670? Hahahahahaha.
Date: August 29, 2010 06:08PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
€ 1.578,48 payable in 10 months.

Does that include the lube, or is that extra?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: August 29, 2010 06:16PM
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> €1500 for a PC with a HD 5670? Hahahahahaha.

???

DaveEllis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> € 1.578,48 payable in 10 months.
>
> Does that include the lube, or is that extra?

What is lube? (My dictionary says it's oil, but I don't think you mean this)

Date: August 29, 2010 06:22PM
Posted by: Vader
Gigi4
What is lube? (My dictionary says it's oil, but I don't think you mean this)

Lubrificante intimo. That means that at this price they trying to f*ck you and hopefully the lubrificante does not cost extra.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: August 29, 2010 06:26PM
Ah, ok, I should have said I "hoped" (not think) DaveEllis didn't meant that, as I was not sure of that offer ...

Date: August 29, 2010 06:49PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
Straight to the point as ever, Ellis, I love it.

That is hideously overpriced, as all iMacs are. If I had the cash I would buy one cause they look great but too pricey for me
Date: August 29, 2010 07:08PM
I knew Macs are always expensive, but as this is an offer that Aplle sent to my mail I hoped it was not bad ... what do you think I can buy with that price?

Date: August 29, 2010 07:23PM
Posted by: Vandusk
Buy the components and create a own machine. This will maybe cost you also 1000€ or more, but you know that your machine is working. ;-)
Date: August 29, 2010 07:48PM
Gigi4
I knew Macs are always expensive, but as this is an offer that Aplle sent to my mail I hoped it was not bad

It probably is a half decent offer for an Apple (I've no idea), but for the components it's hideously over-priced. The reason for my coffee-spitting was that in a supposedly high-end €1500 PC, they only give you a low-to-mid range graphics card worth an entire €70-75.

Keep in mind with Macs that you're gaming options are very limited out of the box too. Few games will work on OS X. You can use Boot Camp to install Windows, but it looks like Apple are phasing out support for Boot Camp - removing support for it from some Mac Pros and Mac Minis.

If you are considering a Mac, then fine, but research that the programs you want will work on it.
Date: August 29, 2010 08:30PM
Posted by: Vader
The only reason I'd buy a Mac would be to use Digital Performer for recording. It beats Pro Tools hands down.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: August 29, 2010 10:17PM
Posted by: senninho
Macs are definitely becoming worse for price. They were getting better up until a couple of years ago - I got my iMac in 2007 for £1,000, and all I've spent on it in the last three years is £30 for some more RAM, and £20 for the Snow Leopard upgrade.

That said, I'd be lying if I said I hadn't recently considered spending a couple of hundred on a new gaming rig ;)

Date: August 30, 2010 01:19AM
Posted by: Zcott
Highly recommend getting a Mac. What you're buying is a machine that won't break down, won't give you blue screens and will still be running fantastic in 5 years time. Well worth investing in.

Date: August 30, 2010 09:57AM
You realise bluescreens are normally a hardware issue... the same hardware that goes into a Mac... hence the same likelihood of it 'breaking down'.

Regardless, I've not seen a BSOD for years.
Date: August 30, 2010 11:01AM
Posted by: harjinator
lol, i get bluescreens daily on 7... didn't see any while on Vista (with identical hardware - all drivers up to date official 7 ones from manufacturers)

Unless your a graphic artist/recording musician, it's hard to justify a mac - they're just awkward for the mainstream - because practically nothing for windows works

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
Date: August 30, 2010 11:49AM
harjinator
lol, i get bluescreens daily on 7... didn't see any while on Vista (with identical hardware - all drivers up to date official 7 ones from manufacturers)

What do the crash dumps say?

Given your clear problems there's something up with your PC - presumably hardware rather than the OS.
Date: August 30, 2010 09:44PM
harjinator Wrote:
———————————————————————————

> Unless your a graphic artist/recording musician,
> it's hard to justify a mac - they're just awkward
> for the mainstream - because practically nothing
> for windows works

Come back to me and say that when you've used a Mac for a few years. Yet to find anything important that doesn't work or isn't available.

Noting that the only person here suggesting that the OP buys a Mac is the only one who has used a Mac for more than 10 minutes. Hmm...

Date: August 30, 2010 09:53PM
Because the rest of us have brains. ;-)
Date: August 30, 2010 10:12PM
So do I, which is why I use a Mac ;-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy