Serving half the sentence

Posted by rapid_f1 
Serving half the sentence
Date: August 20, 2010 08:05PM
Posted by: rapid_f1
Perhaps there are some legal people out there who may know but why (in the UK not sure in other places) do people who get sentenced only serve half of the jail term?

I.Tz No Problem
For all your home and business I.T needs
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
Re: Serving half the sentence
Date: August 20, 2010 08:30PM
Posted by: danm
Because in this country, crime pays.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: August 21, 2010 02:49AM
Posted by: MikaHalpinen
he thought he could outrun the law, but all he ran into was HARD TIME

Date: August 21, 2010 09:14AM
Posted by: mcdo
Rapid, if what you're saying is correct, it may be due to overcrowded prisons. You reminded me of a 2006 plan to re-introduce prison ships.
Date: August 22, 2010 11:38AM
Posted by: J i m
danm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Because in this country, crime pays.

It pretty much does actually. Someone even suggested to me that one reason why benefits are so high to the extent that many are actually better off on job-seekers allowance etc than actually working is that it keeps a fair proportion of the population out of crime, and that if it was taken away or drastically reduced many of them would turn to crime.

There is little or no basis of fact in this view... it's simply an opinion based on an observation.

Going slightly off topic I read an article a few days ago... taken with a pinch of salt due to it being in a tabloid, but it was this young couple who had reasonable job prospects thanks to NVQ / BTEC type of qualifications. But there were both on job seekers allowance and all the other benefits that go with it, to the tune of getting over £17'000 a year, not nessacarily because there weren't jobs available but because they didn't want to work. They freely admitted that they loved their lifestyle and have no intentions of looking for work, yet they had a nice house and the mod-cons you'd consider as luxuries, such as expensive tv/dvd, xbox, smart phones etc all paid for on benefits.

That's the kind of thing that really annoys me. You have people like me... who pays a tonne in tax before you even see your money, and then most of it goes on bills and further taxes. You have people struggling to support their families in low paid jobs that they hate, again their income taxed and billed before they even see it.

AND then you have useless people like the above who live of all that hard work by others for doing diddly squat. If I had my way.. these kind of people would be sweeping the streets, and collecting the bins to qualify for their benefits.

Date: August 22, 2010 08:00PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
so high to the extent that many are actually better off on job-seekers allowance

I hate it when people say this. No, it isn't better. That's a tabloid BS made up for some shock story. Every so often you find some stupid bitch who has 52 kids, and yes they are better off. But for 99.9% of the people, they aren't better off at all. I've played all sides here - job seekers, 16 hour a week part time and full time.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: August 22, 2010 11:23PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
DaveEllis Wrote:
> so high to the extent that many are actually
> better off on job-seekers allowance
>
> I hate it when people say this. No, it isn't
> better. That's a tabloid BS made up for some shock
> story. Every so often you find some stupid bitch
> who has 52 kids, and yes they are better off. But
> for 99.9% of the people, they aren't better off at
> all. I've played all sides here - job seekers, 16
> hour a week part time and full time.

Plus the more hours you do work while on Jobseekers the less you're paid by the government.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: September 24, 2010 07:20PM
Posted by: rapid_f1
here we go again.

guy is convicted of abusing kids and grooming them for sex acts etc. sentenced to 8 1/2 years but will only serve half og that. Why?

[www.bbc.co.uk]

I.Tz No Problem
For all your home and business I.T needs
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
Date: September 24, 2010 11:45PM
Posted by: mortal
Guilty plea?

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: September 25, 2010 04:00PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
rapid_f1 Wrote:
> here we go again.
>
> guy is convicted of abusing kids and grooming them
> for sex acts etc. sentenced to 8 1/2 years but
> will only serve half og that. Why?
>
> [www.bbc.co.uk]
> 3984

Because he's not REALLY being sentenced to 8 years. He's being sentenced to 4 or 5, but 8 will be the worst case scenario (if he's still a pain in the ass and shows no sign of improvement). It's so they can justify keeping people in for longer if they think there will be issues.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy