Top Gear with Tom Cruise, Cameron Diaz and short film on Senna.

Posted by ralv585 
Absolutely loved this episode, and the film on Senna was fantastic.

Great job Top Gear, one of the best episodes ever!

Copy/paste from my post on VT:

Gav
Finally some class on Top Gear. When was the last time that happened?!

Also, Diaz and Cruise on top of the lap board? Their laps looked @#$%&...

And the Veyron equally... that was never the fastest lap ever. It looked horrible in the corners, and not horrible as in on a knife-edge, it was just slow.

Lots of ass-licking and bowing to demands methinks.

Still, Senna! Weeeee! :D
The senna part was fantastic, lots of non senna fans are moaning saying it should be in the f1 programme. I loved it anyway and was nice to see the car in action again :)
Loved the Senna bit also. Never has top gear been that good in the recent years. Fantastic to see Lewis even more excited.
Surprised they didn't get Bruno in for interviews but I suppose the...ahem...less-informed public don't have a clue who he is.

Good episode though. And I liked last week's motorhome feature too :D

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
I can't help but think that the Diaz/Cruise times were slightly fabricated, Cruise was never a full second quicker than the nearest lap time. Clarkson seemed to change his tune on motorbikes as well lol.

The Senna piece was really good though, was good to see Hamilton be genuinley moved to drive that Mclaren.

The Senna piece was up on Jeremy's facebook page, just watched it :D. Good to see the natural human side of Lewis, he won quite a few brownie points with me.
Top Gear's executive producer is denying reports that Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz had their laps around the show's racetrack fixed.
Sunday night's programme (25 July) saw the two Hollywood stars take the top two spots on the leader board.

Some Radio 1 listeners have been texting in to the Chris Moyles and Fearne Cotton shows saying the laps were faked.
Andy Wilman says that couldn't happen and the laps were genuine.

He said: "We are listening to armchair experts who don't know a thing.
"They weren't there, they don't understand how laps are done.

"Their times were accurate, their times were truthful."It really saddens me that people who don't know anything can then sour the whole moment."
But some texters weren't sure you saw the finish line and that Tom Cruise doing a wheelie would have slowed him down.

Cruise and Cameron Diaz took on the 'Star in a reasonably priced car' challenge last Thursday and each drove a Kia cee'd around Top Gear's famous test track.
The programme was broadcast on Sunday night (25 July) and saw Cruise post a time of 1 minute 44.2 seconds.
Cameron Diaz, 37, did it in 1 minute 45.2 seconds.

Both beat the previous best posted by Harry Potter actor Rupert Grint, who'd done the lap in 1 minute 45.5 seconds.
"The lap timing is covered very accurately," said Andy Wilman. "There are people with stop watches, there are cameras in the cars and we have people on the corners at each track to make sure nobody cuts the lines.

"You can't cheat basically."

Tom Cruise, 48, and Cameron Diaz were in the UK for the premiere of their action film, Knight and Day, held in London's Leicester Square last week.

Tom Cruise helped an audience member who'd fainted during the show

But earlier in the day the stars spent several hours at Top Gear's test track at Dunsfold Aerodrome in Surrey.

"Tom Cruise turned up really early," said Andy Wilman. "He put more effort into getting that lap time than I've ever seen anybody do.
"He was doing 190mph (305km/h) in the Bugatti Veyron down the runway. He knows what he's doing in a car.

"He took a load of instruction from The Stig. The celebrities that come on, they usually do four or five laps with The Stig, then they go out solo.
"He spent longer with him and was asking more detailed questions, so that his first dry lap was in the 1'45s already. He'd already done the lap record on his first dry lap."

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2010 08:17PM by LS..
Cameron Diaz lap... i don't know, but Tom Cruise's looked quite smooth, he seemed commited under braking and taking the fast corners... the willi didn't cost him any time.
Tom cruise has always had a thing for driving well.. He looked smooth like the F1 driver's do. Great lap!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Cameron Diaz weighs as much as a pretzel.

Tom Cruize is about the size of a pretzel.

(For the off topic, Rupert Grints hair is the colour of a pretzel).

Most competitors are full grown adults (mostly blokes) who are probably a lot heavier. I do think weight MIGHT influence things, even only a little bit.

It does in Karting, by a lot!

Then again, this is probably a pile of tripe. Just saying, you know!? :P

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Also Tom Cruise flys planes, drives fast cars and rides motorbikes, he had professional tuition for Days of Thunder, the guys an adrenelin junkie.

Professional racing drivers aside if anyone with those credentials outside of the racing world did a lap you'd expect them to be quick.

Maybe some people have problems with it being Tom Cruise?

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Yeah he's got a lot of hatred these years. I still think hes a top celeb, as far as they go, he still has his dudeness.

Anyone in doubt, watch Tropic Thunder.

:D

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
danm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Cameron Diaz weighs as much as a pretzel.
>
> Tom Cruize is about the size of a pretzel.
>
> (For the off topic, Rupert Grints hair is the
> colour of a pretzel).
>
> Most competitors are full grown adults (mostly
> blokes) who are probably a lot heavier. I do think
> weight MIGHT influence things, even only a little
> bit.
>
> It does in Karting, by a lot!
>
> Then again, this is probably a pile of tripe. Just
> saying, you know!? :P

I think in a car that weights almost 2 tonnes we can assume the difference between heaviest and lightest is 60kg? I think the overal weight difference would be +- 1% - 5% as very rough figures. I dont think it would make that much difference, but only because with this, there are too many factors. Its not like in F1 where you can be 100% that 10 drivers have a very similar ability.

Usain Bolt was awesome but his weight put him behind Simon Fagowell, so it does matter :P
LS. Wrote:
> Also Tom Cruise flys planes, drives fast cars and
> rides motorbikes, he had professional tuition for
> Days of Thunder, the guys an adrenelin junkie.
>
> Professional racing drivers aside if anyone with
> those credentials outside of the racing world did
> a lap you'd expect them to be quick.
>
> Maybe some people have problems with it being Tom
> Cruise?

I hate Tom Cruise, but he was awesome on TG. The interviews, the driving, everything. I still dislike him, but he got a bit of respect off of me. I still won't be going to see his movie though. :P

I think people are over-reacting to it. I think the reason Toms scruffy lap was top is we've had no running in the new car. Wait until the usual fast crew turn up and the times will tumble.

The Veyron lap isn't silly either. The original Veyron lap was terrible, with missed apexs and sloppy driving everywhere. That old car had more time in it. Now it comes with more grip and more power - of course it's going to be faster. It may have looked clumsy and unbalanced, but it also had more grip than the laws of physics allow. And although there is no fast straight on the circuit, when the car is doing 0-100 in less than 6 seconds, every straight is a fast straight.

The car is also considerably smaller than what people realise. It looks quite large and fat, but when seen with the naked eye it's actually the size of a normal supercar. It isn't the huge thundering elephant that people seem to think it is.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
LS. Wrote:

> Maybe some people have problems with it being Tom
> Cruise?

nail. on. head.

he looked very fast and committed, and i have no doubt that his time was genuine. what do the BBC owe him, to fake it to make him look fastest? nothing probably, so they wouldn't need to do it.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Tom Cruise was 0.1s quicker than Barrichello!!

The Stig needs to set a time in the Kia Cee'd to see whether he is quicker than Cruise or not, because Williams F1 can then buy Cruise a T Shirt!!!
alexf1man Wrote:
> The Stig needs to set a time in the Kia Cee'd to
> see whether he is quicker than Cruise or not,
> because Williams F1 can then buy Cruise a T
> Shirt!

I agree, I've always thought they should get the Stig to set a timed lap in the reasonably priced cars.

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Stiggy and Jezza should always do one in the new cars ... just as a rough benchmark of driving talent against driving talentless :p

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy