For sale: huge die cast F1 collection

Posted by jucksman 
For sale: huge die cast F1 collection
Date: July 20, 2010 01:24AM
Posted by: jucksman
Hello Everybody

Due to the birth of my second son, I'm willing to sell my die cast 1/18 Formula One Collection. I have a large collection of models from mattel, minichamps and Exoto. If anyone is interested, please ask me by pm and I can send some pictures and prices.

Cheers
Re: For sale: huge die cast F1 collection
Date: July 20, 2010 08:43AM
Posted by: mortal
Post some pics anyway. :-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: July 20, 2010 10:01AM
Posted by: ZaZ
jucksman Schreef:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello Everybody
>
> Due to the birth of my second son, I'm willing to
> sell my die cast 1/18 Formula One Collection. I
> have a large collection of models from mattel,
> minichamps and Exoto. If anyone is interested,
> please ask me by pm and I can send some pictures
> and prices.
>
> Cheers

I don't get it. So when you have more than one kid you're not allowed to have such hobbies?
Please tell me, I might have to sell my computer, too.

Maybe one of your kids will become a F1 fan in the future.
You can then pass your collection to him.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
Date: July 20, 2010 11:27AM
Posted by: Zcott
£10 says the wife is involved in this.

Date: July 20, 2010 12:15PM
Posted by: Morbid
Zcott Wrote:
> £10 says the wife is involved in this.

I won't take that bet ;-)

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: July 20, 2010 12:32PM
Posted by: jucksman
Heh...actually, there's no space for the collection anymore, and I have several versions of the same cars. I decided to keep one of each for myself and zelo the variants. Ill post some pics later today. :-)
Date: July 20, 2010 02:55PM
Let me guess. You both did the relationship equality thingie, and she agreed that there wasn't room for her makeup, excess clothes, jewellery, shoe collection and Sex and the City DVD collection either?

Date: July 20, 2010 03:29PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
1/18s take a ridiculous amount of space. I'm considering selling some of mine due to the massive amount of space they take up.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 20, 2010 06:37PM
1/18 scale... that would be the about the size of a shoe. In its original packing, the size of a shoebox.

Date: July 20, 2010 06:48PM
Yeah. I have 21 (well, 15 + 6 1/24 NASCARs) on my 2 work desks at the moment, plus about 10 more or so in storage. That is a lot of room for model cars.

Shoe boxes and shoes also have the advantage of being able to be stored in cupboards. If in the original boxes then you can easily stack them in a very efficent way, using the wasted room at the bottom of a wardrobe that clothes do not occupy. Model cars unfortunately require being placed out in the open. Not like you can store them away and take them out just to look at them. They are display pieces which take a lot more room than you think until you actually own that many.

Best solution is dedicated shelving in the room, or a tall display stand. I have seen some very impressive glass ones, but this probably isn't suitable when kids are round.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 20, 2010 07:06PM
If you think women's shoes are not display pieces, then there is something you have really misunderstood. Even without a walk-in-closet, they are display pieces.

And why are you reacting to this? Do you feel a need to be hostile?

Date: July 20, 2010 07:06PM
Posted by: DJSKYLINE
pics plz, congrats on son!

Date: July 20, 2010 07:15PM
If you think women's shoes are not display pieces, then there is something you have really misunderstood. Even without a walk-in-closet, they are display pieces.

Oh of course. They are certainly not 'functional' shoes. Most of these shoes are so bad at being shoes that they actually cause the female physical pain, just in the name of producing a good looking a shoe. As you say, a display piece. Thankfully, these are the sort of display pieces that require wearing to actually be a display piece. Similar to jewellery for example. The beauty of it is in the wearing. The good thing (and possibly the only good thing) about a females display shoes is that when they are not being worn, they take no real estate in the house. They can happily be boxed and in the bottom of the wardrobe until the next time they feel the need to cause themselves a ridiculous amount of pain in the name of beauty.

Unfortunately model cars do not have the same advantage. They take up a large amount of room at all times, because they need to be displayed at all times. You cannot wear a model car (well, I suppose you can, but then if you do, you won't have a woman to worry about anyway), and it's beauty is about displaying it on a desk, or shelf. If the room is not available it cannot really be boxed away the same as a shoe, otherwise it is pointless, and might as well be sold at that point. It is an unfortunate draw back to collectables like model cars :(

And why are you reacting to this? Do you feel a need to be hostile?

I see no hostility from anyone in the thread, yourself and myself included in that. It's a discussion forum and I was discussing it. My post was mainly about the severe draw back of collecting the cars compared to other items. 1/43s are more justifiable because of the reduction in space required, and the fact the boxes stack perfectly (well, Minichamps do, I don't know about other brands now days) without reducing the beauty of them. 1/18 display boxes tend to be much cheaper looking, and the cars are far more impressive without the box. In the case of Action (who make the NASCARs), the boxes can't be used because there is no plastic front to it.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 20, 2010 07:23PM
So if there are model on display in the room, it cannot be used by a son? Gee... I was under the impression that most sons actually like to display these kind of models. Especially cool stuff with ridiculously powerful engines like planes and cars.

Date: July 20, 2010 07:25PM
Damn right they can. And that just doesn't apply to sons - it applies to daughters as well. My 6 year old rather likes my models, especially the "big blue one with engine on the top" (Merc CLK) and the "rainbow nascar" (Jeff Gordon). Unfortunately she didn't start appreciating them until she was a little older. Babies and Toddlers do not mix well with model cars, and a few ariels and wing mirrors suffered as a result. :(

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 20, 2010 08:09PM
Posted by: msater
DJSKYLINE Wrote:
> pics plz, congrats on son!

+1

Also I have one 1/18 scale car (Hamilton's 07 Macca) and I am soon redoing my bedroom, so I'll have space for my models. I hope to get the Red Bull RB5 and Brawn 09 in 1/18th soon, to put them on my new work desk.

Jucksman, if you have any Senna cars or 1980's Macca's, I'm very interested :)

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2010 08:10PM by msater.
Date: July 21, 2010 03:24PM
Posted by: andrew_S
what exoto cars do you have for sale?

------------------------------------

24 Heures Du Mans 18-19 June 2005
Date: July 21, 2010 06:55PM
Posted by: Muks_C
pics please, i'm definitely interested.

I have about 10 1:18, most of them are displayed in their boxes, and a few just stored away in boxes. I have concentrated only on 1:43 Minichamps for the past couple of years though as they take up less room.

I've just moved into my new house and am planning on having a geek room just for the model collection (similar to LS's room if you've ever looked at the model car collection thread), so am looking into getting some sort of display case as all my 1:43 models are currently packed away in a few large boxes as i couldn't display them satisfactorily at my parents' house.

i also have a few 1:18 roadcars (KITT from Knight Rider, Merc CLK GTR roadcar, 007's Vanquish from Die Another Day) and other car collections like the James Bond Car Collection (about 20 models).

and don't get me started on my Batman collection...

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy