NVidia 9600GT: Gulping my RAM?!?!

Posted by Ho3n3r 
NVidia 9600GT: Gulping my RAM?!?!
Date: July 16, 2010 01:45PM
Posted by: Ho3n3r
Good Day all

I know for a fact my 9600GT is only a 1GB card, and it ran as such in XP.

However, I'm not sure whether it was since I installed Windows 7, or whether it is the new 257.xx drivers which causes it, but now it assigns 750mb of our system memory to the card as well. I could have sworn it was at only 1024MB before the new series drivers on Win7 but I am not too sure on that.

Checked in dxdiag, there's no way to manually unassign the memory there, so I don't think it is DirectX either, but I could be wrong.

Bottom line, I want the card to only use 1024MB and leave the rest for my system. Is there a way to do that? Checked in the BIOS too, but there is nothing to change in that regard - and if there was, I would have been the one to have changed it anyway, which I didn't.

Thanks again!
Re: NVidia 9600GT: Gulping my RAM?!?!
Date: July 16, 2010 11:52PM
Posted by: mortal
W7 has stolen at least half of that available 1GB of ram, and as far as I know, there is no way to assign system ram to a card in W7. I could well be wrong, but so far, I've been unable to find a solution. Gav could know the answer, if you're in a hurry, drop him a pm, he might be able to help you. :-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: July 17, 2010 12:51AM
Posted by: gav
If you're using a 32-bit operating system with 3-4gb+ then that explains it. XP was exactly the same, however it was reported differently.

I didn't know 9600s were able use system memory - it's completely pointless for such a relatively powerful card - so I'm blaming 32-bit memory mapping.
Date: November 16, 2010 11:22AM
Posted by: Ho3n3r
So this is getting ridiculous now.

Updated my system memory to 3GB, and now DXDiag shows that my display adapter has another 500mb more allocated to it. So it's showing 2260mb RAM for my 1024MB card.

There has surely got to be a way to disable this?

I just left it for a while but now again after putting in more memory for my system it's disappointing that the 9600gt is taking more of it.

Isn't there a function in RivaTuner to force this off?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy