is it safe to run without windows updates?

Posted by harjinator 
is it safe to run without windows updates?
Date: June 11, 2010 10:04PM
Posted by: harjinator
as the topic says... common sense tells me no, but i've had many issues the past few weeks with windows updates causing issues on my laptop (i've had the windows folder vanish completely, i've had a 100% CPU usage at idle issue, my wireless card stop working and now my graphics card won't go fullscreen for anything). really beginning to annoy me as the machine is gradually becoming completely unusable as more functionality breaks!

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
Re: is it safe to run without windows updates?
Date: June 11, 2010 10:08PM
Posted by: Aqualyx
Windows 7 and Vista: yes.
Windows XP and lower: no.
Date: June 11, 2010 10:31PM
Posted by: gav
Relatively safe if you don't visit any questionable sites. The chances of an attack otherwise are quite slim.

Worth it? Nah. If you're having issues which no-one else is having, then you've got a bigger issue you need to sort out as it will cause errors regardless of whether you install updates or not.

The errors you're having don't look to be anything to do with updates anyway, unless you're installing device drivers from Windows Update.
Date: June 11, 2010 11:08PM
Posted by: harjinator
nope, no device drivers installed (has to be the acer specific ones, otherwise everything goes to pot). Not installed any software for ages, so it can't be that, and i've run antivirus (MSE) and spybot scans as well. will rollback to just after SP1 went on, and then disable it all methinks... hope it stops the horrendous boot and explorer lags as well

Tis annoying cos the company i work for insist i use my own machine (they're too tight to buy me one - and refuse to accept that a full engine CAD model needs a 64 bit machine to display, which means they won't even get me the right OS...), but their stupid CAD software means i now can't do a full reinstall, cos the IT department have nicked the disk, and it's unlikely ever to be seen again (normally when they get stuff it gets sent to the HQ in the states, from whence it is never ever seen again)

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy