video cassette player issue - cassette got stuck inside

Posted by abdelkader 
Hi.
I've got an extremely old video cassette player (made in 1989). Orion N300-E and I have a problem with it.

I put one of my cassettes inside and I can't take it out now. I switch the player on and I can hear the engines charging but nothing happens. After a few seconds it all stops and the player switches off. I removed the cover to see the insights at work but still all I notice is the humming of the engines while absolutely not a single part moves.

Maybe it will help to say that the player was playing up for some time already. Usually when I would switch it on I'd hear the same sound of charging engines and experience the shutdown after a few seconds. But then, if I switched the player on again, it worked fine. Such thing would happen at every second switching on attempt. It seems it has died for good this time.
Some time ago when I wanted to switch it off with the remote controller, the player ejected the cassette (even though there's no such option on the remote!!! - you have to get up and eject the cassette by pushing a button on the panel)

Question 1: How to take the cassette out without braking anything? I've removed the cover and all the visible screws but the cassette housing is still firmly fitted to the rest of the player.
Question 2: What is the reason for all those forementioned issues?

abdelkader Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Question 1: How to take the cassette out without
> braking anything? I've removed the cover and all
> the visible screws but the cassette housing is
> still firmly fitted to the rest of the player.

Case Resection Procedure. Followed by some careful Ligation and an Excision. Mika_Halpinen should be able to offer advice. Does he concur?

> Question 2: What is the reason for all those
> forementioned issues?

19 years. Orion hungry. Orion. Want. Eat.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Find the loading motor and turn it by hand till the tape comes out.

If the tape is wrapped around the drum, you'll have to turn the capstan motor to bring the tape back into the cassette.

[www.repairfaq.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2010 09:09PM by auscain.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Typical unhelpful Dave

You need one of these instead:
How would a broken link help us secure the release of said cassette?

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Is that meant to be metaphorical in terms of evolution theory? :P

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Thanks for all of that, guys... for the hammer, too :P

If you want to get it working again afterwards all you need is the following.

All problems can be solved by duct tape and WD40.

If it moves and it isn't meant to, use duct tape.
If it doesn't move, and it is meant to, use WD40.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
that's utterly profound, Dave. i'm gonna use that philosophy in my daily life and at work!

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
That is really awesome. Congrats Abdelkader on having the oldest VCR of anyone I know of! I still use a Sony VCR from 2001(Which I still record every Grand Prix on) and that's getting pretty worn-out now. My family did have a VCR from 1987 when I was a kid, but that one packed up in about 1994. You must have taken good care of it!

On the subject of cassette tapes, I still listen to my music on audio tapes when I can(I've taped most of my CD collection, even the most recent albums I own - including Muse). I see why DVDs are favourable over videotapes, but I don't really see why CDs are that much better than cassettes, unless you want to keep listening to the same tracks over and over.
I should maybe add that I've got loads of tape-players which I bought/accumulated ages ago. :P

EC83 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That is really awesome. Congrats Abdelkader on
> having the oldest VCR of anyone I know of! I still
> use a Sony VCR from 2001(Which I still record
> every Grand Prix on) and that's getting pretty
> worn-out now. My family did have a VCR from 1987
> when I was a kid, but that one packed up in about
> 1994. You must have taken good care of it!

:) It's cool to hear that. Indeed, it was used extremely reasonably. For the first 10 years it was used scarcely. Then I started recording stuff and watched movies more often than ever. Another thing is that my VCR player isn't any kind of "made in China" piece of junk of nowadays but a real, Japanese, old-school thing.

> On the subject of cassette tapes, I still listen
> to my music on audio tapes when I can(I've taped
> most of my CD collection, even the most recent
> albums I own - including Muse). I see why DVDs are
> favourable over videotapes, but I don't really see
> why CDs are that much better than cassettes,
> unless you want to keep listening to the same
> tracks over and over.
> I should maybe add that I've got loads of
> tape-players which I bought/accumulated ages ago.
> :P

I've got the same way of thinking as you. That's so great there are still dinosaurs like us who generally prefer analogue stuff to the digital one. I've got CDs who are out of order despite having been bought in 2005 or 2004...At the same time I've got audio tapes from the early 80s which still work fine. Well, the quality is worse, but they are extremely reliable and not so prone to damages.

DVDs are hopeless. OK picture and sound quality is better, BUT only if you treat them like a space satellite... one fingerprint on the disk and it's knackered, no matter how much cleaning you do. Cds are pretty much the same, but i just rip CDs as soon as i get them, and then consign them to the shelf, never to be touched again. Cassettes?! mite just be my cassette deck being hopeless (it's been in a damp environment in the past, which i don't think helped it), but i just can't listen to them. sound quality is appalling! i have a cassette deck in my car, and i have only once used a cassette in it. listened to about 4 songs, and then gave up with it. i use an ipod adaptor now, which is better than a standard cassette. not perfect by any means, but better.

for the ultimate sound experience - vinyl, no question. Only problem i have with that is the fact i'm possibly the dustiest person in the known universe, so they always get dusted up quite easily!

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy