Something TINY that has annoyed me about this forum

Posted by danm 
Something TINY that has annoyed me about this forum
Date: March 14, 2010 05:30AM
Posted by: danm
When you type ; + ) to achieve a simple wink, you in actual fact end up with a ;)

A mr tongue.

It never did bother me TOO much, but then I started seeing people comment using the wink as a gesture of help, but instead produced a mr tongue and in some contexts makes replies have a sarcastic tone, thus resulting in petty squabbling.

I have seen many posts over my time here where this has also escalated into some ridiculously overblown debates, particularly the GP4 section.

I just wondered, has anyone else reread a post they have submitted and though, grr, I did not want that to be a mr tongue.

Of course, easy to edit, but ; + ) is a wink, dammit!

;) Lol.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
(@) + Dog X(I) = hot

now thats using symbols ;)

Re: Something TINY that has annoyed me about this forum
Date: March 14, 2010 06:28AM
Posted by: EC83
Mr Wink is ; + - + ). A minor detail but easily overlooked I guess. To me it's mainly a sarcastic smiley, for using when correcting someone who's said something stupid or something wrong. Like a harsher version of ":P" really. It's used to brilliant effect by some, and I've done it myself too.

By the way, I love how people are using the picture smileys more since the forum upgrade, when they were all here long before the 2009 upgrade, as Smorr's "!" thread from a while back shows. :P

Date: March 14, 2010 06:36AM
Posted by: Slash
the only thing that bothers me about the forum is that you need to scroll all the way down to go throughout the pages, the links of the pages are no longer in the top...

it seems stupid i know, but after reading the top post you'll know wheter your ahead or behind to where you left, the problem is you can't just go back immeadiattely, you need to scroll all the way down, and if you're not lucky, you'll need to do it again
I agree Slash, specially when I use the Ipod and I've got to scroll down to go to previous/next page. I wish I could have the link of pages on the top... don't know if there's a way to do it from the Control Center.
I'll mention it to Stephan, don't expect it to be done tomorrow. ;-) <----winky

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: March 14, 2010 10:31AM
Posted by: gav
It's been a forum thing for as long as I can remember, so it's embedded in the very heart of this community. It's not about to change now.

For the record Dan... I think you may need sleep. ;) / ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2010 10:31AM by gav.
Date: March 14, 2010 07:35PM
Posted by: Nickv
While we're at the subject of complaining, can we ban posts like the one above? :P
Date: March 15, 2010 02:41AM
Posted by: Zcott
Can we also ban signatures which take up more than a few lines?

The rules on signatures state they should be in banner format, like Frantic's and danm's signature. I can make a topic on signatures and start removing sigs that do not conform to the rules if enough people want it done. I cannot do it if only one person is requesting it. I agree that some sigs are out of hand.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
If my signature is out of the rules I can remove it.

--------------------------------------------
Rocker
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy