Anyone using SSD's?

Posted by mika19b 
Anyone using SSD's?
Date: February 11, 2010 05:13PM
Posted by: mika19b
As the title says, has anyone made the jump to SSD's yet?

I know there a whole load quicker than the standard HDD (as long as they dont have the JMicron chip) and was wondering what people are using?

Im thinking about getting 2 drives of around 64GB each and raiding them (one for Win 7 and one for Games), along with my 500GB Samsung F3 HDD that i will use just for storing data.

Then I think another 4GB DDR3 and maybe a Radeon 5870 1GB, although I heard there not the best £ vs Performance.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2010 05:53PM by mika19b.
Re: Anyone using SSD's?
Date: February 11, 2010 07:53PM
Posted by: miffy
Hi i would get this ssd if you are getting a 64gb one [www.overclockers.co.uk] one of the best for the price as for the 5870 it would only be worth it if the rest of your system was good enough (cpu can bottleneck the graphics card if it isnt good enough) or you could wait for nvidia to bring out the 300 series and no doubt the 5800 range would drop quite abit in price :D
Date: February 11, 2010 08:24PM
Posted by: gav
I think the Nvidia 300 series will have minimal effect on the ATI price. The dye is going to be enormous, it's going to be hot and it's going to be power hungry. It's going to cost a ludicrous amount both to manufacture and for us to buy (you'll probably be looking at £500 for the top single-GPU card). It should be faster than the HD 5870, but then it's 6 or 7 months behind the game, so it ought to be. It's going to be a very niche product. Unless Nvidia make a loss on the cards under the top one, then it's not going to have a massive impact on the ATI prices.

Retailers have artificially inflated the price of the HD 5000 series due to the previously low stock and lack of competition, but unless Nvidia pull a value performance rabbit out of the hat, I can't only see the HD 5000s coming back to their normal price (so about 15% lower than the RRP).

Of course, if Nvidia follow the path they've used for the past few years, all we'll get for the sub £150 market is the renaming of previous cards... they've already started filling the low end of the 300 series with rebrands. There is talk that for the performance cards, the 300 series name will be skipped and they move straight to the 400 series - presumably because of the bad press they've been getting with the rebrands.
Date: February 13, 2010 03:10PM
Posted by: mika19b
I see cheers for the info :)

That OCZ SSD does seem to get a good review, so will have to look into it!

Also my 4870 1GB does run everything I need atm, so maybe I can live without DX11 for longer until the 6xxx series is out! Which will surely drop the 5xxx series price?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy