AGP nvidia graphics card

Posted by b-tone 
AGP nvidia graphics card
Date: January 05, 2010 03:16PM
Posted by: b-tone
Has anyone got an agp nvidia graphics card for sale? Preferebly better than 6800. I've got a 6800gt and I'm having pc problems so I've decided its the card and need a new one. If anyone can tell me its not that that'd be good too.
I've replaced the motherboard, power supply, ram so it doesn't leave much.

The computer tends to freeze a lot and used to but not so much reboot itslef. I get the odd bsod and various error messages now and then, and if its going through a difficult time it won't start up and sometimes asks for a floppy disk :|
Playing a video is a sure way to freeze it but photoshop, zmodeler work.

The motherboard is agp so I think there is only 6600, 6800, 7600, 7800, 7900, 7950 before they dumped agp so any info or offers would be great :)

____
Tony

Re: AGP nvidia graphics card
Date: January 05, 2010 05:14PM
Posted by: miffy
I dont mean to be rude but why did you buy a agp motherboard ?!?!
Date: January 06, 2010 08:36AM
good point, but i found the same one i had and thought the old one was buggered so i just got the same one so i didn't need to get a new graphics card :|
that actually fixed the problem for a few days, and now when i clean the graphics cars with compressed air it works for a day or two

____
Tony

Date: January 06, 2010 09:10AM
Posted by: Willb
Its its asking for a floppy disk on boot up that definately won't be the graphics card. To met sounds like possible hard drive issues, but you may also have some graphics card issues on top of that. Have you got a spare hard drive you can try installing windows on and testing for a few days ?

Help keep our forums tidy.

Use the search function...
Date: January 06, 2010 09:29AM
thanks will.
can the asking for floppy disk on boot up be due to not shutting down properly or something?
that it almost always crashes when i play a video (usually vlc, ~1gb file, but also wmplayer) makes me think its the gfx card. i might even be having a stable session and every things been fine for many hours, but the video is pretty certain to freeze it.
its been happening for months and i have a feeling it wasn't the hard drive. i can't remember wether i tested that or just decided i didn't want to change it :|

____
Tony

Date: January 06, 2010 10:45AM
Posted by: gav
So long as the video isn't a high definition one, then the graphics card will be under minimal stress decoding it. As standard, VLC doesn't use hardware acceleration anyway, so it's all done in software with the CPU. Even with high definition videos, and if the system is set up to use the graphics card to do hardware decoding, the stress on the graphics card is minuscule. Regardless, your card can't do hardware decoding of high def video, so it's almost guaranteed not to be the graphics card, unless it's a random problem rather than one where stress causes the issue.

I'd grab memtest86 and let it do a few loops (give it a couple of hours or until it passes a couple of full tests). If all is clear without errors, then I'd be inclined to blame the hard drive too - download the testing util for you hard drive (for example, with Western Digital, there is a Windows-based util called Data Lifeguard Diagnostic) and let it see what's what.
Date: January 06, 2010 05:42PM
Thanks gav
I had my tv plugged into the gfx card too so had to change the settings to get it running on either one. Not exactly sure but I think I use 'Directx video output' for pc, and 'Default' with 'Accelerated vid output(overlay)' for tv. I was using YUV as well for something. (with it on default it comes out black and white on one or both screens)

I did a HD test and it showed no problems, but I can't remeber which test :\ I had FurMark going too but didn't really know what to do but it didn't freeze with that going. It was HDTune.
Removing the gfx card and blowing air though it makes the pc more stable.

Will it make any difference to switch TV to default and just use that, or run a hd video from dvd or something?

Could it be graphics card drivers? I have 93.71. nvidia.com lists 94.24 as the latest which is only 6 months newer than mine, and still 3 years old so I doubt it makes much difference.

Do I need to put memtest86 on a disc and boot from that?

____
Tony

Date: January 07, 2010 09:03AM
By HD test, I meant the official one for your hard drive. It'll check data which a 3rd party tool might not know exists. Also, I'd turn on SMART detection in your BIOS if the setting is available - that might give a warning of an impending hard drive failure (though of course, they do fail undetected too). Even things such as bad sectors can cause fatal BSODs which stop PCs from booting - I've seen a laptop BSOD on every boot due to a single bad sector, but unless a certain threshold is passed, drives generally don't qualify for a replacement - in my experience, every manufacturer will replace a drive regardless though.

I don't know about the software settings for the TV. Do you ever get an error like the one Ho3n3r got in the other thread (namely a nv4_disp.dll reference)? I asked him if he has dual-monitors, as some do get XP and Vista crashing and BSODs with dual-displays, but normally there'd be a reference to the file above (for the record, there are ATI and Intel equivalents - it is (or was, as Win 7 seems to have fixed it) a DirectX issue rather than a driver issue), or one which it calls, and it seems you aren't getting anything like this. I'd be quite sure running a file from a DVD instead of a hard drive would make little difference. Any difference would merely be stepping around the problem rather than finding the cause.

There is one thing you can do which might show up the problem. Install the Microsoft Debugging Tools (32-bit here and 64-bit here - for 64-bit, you want the Native x64, not the Itanium). Once installed, go to Debugging Tools for Windows in the Start Menu, then open WinDbg. Go to File and Open Crash Dump, then navigate to C:\Windows\minidump and open the most recent file there. Windbg will process the file and at the very end, will give what it feels is responsible for the crash - either a hardware issue or the name of the driver which it determines is causing the fault (which might not be conclusive in itself - a driver fault can still be caused by faulty hardware - but it will narrow down the cause of the issue, so we know where to concentrate on).

Regarding memtest86, yes you download it then open the .iso in a program such as ImgBurn, then burn that (it is the CD image file - you don't add it to a CD image) and then boot from that.
Date: January 14, 2010 11:40AM
The official HD test didn't work. Its seagate and I had some error when I tried to run it.
I have a new HD now and am trying to get windows onto it but more errors. Usually a hal.dll error.
I tried unpluggin the old hd and booting from a windows cd to install it, but it wouldn't boot from cd. So I tried installing onto the new HD while on the old one, so now I have 4 windows partially installed but only the old one works, and I've formatted the new hd again and still get 4 OS options when booting up.
I guess I'll keep trying to install windows and hope it works :|

Some of my bosd's were mentioning nv4_disp.dll

____
Tony

Date: January 14, 2010 01:09PM
Posted by: mortal
nv4_disp.dll is usually a driver error. Have you run dxdiag to see if it's all good? You could try lowering the aperture in the BIOS, it's possible the AGP settings are not quite right. Coolbits could be handy to see what's going on with your card. It's been a while since I've fiddled with AGP cards, so I have no idea really. :-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: January 14, 2010 01:36PM
To get the CD to run first you can either go into the BIOS and change the boot order, or some motherboards have a special key on startup (normally F8 or F12) which allows you to choose the device to boot from.
Date: January 22, 2010 04:42PM
Now I'm getting a ntoskrnl.exe when installing windows. I try to install it to the new HD on F drive, but it fails with that error. When I load the old windows I can't see anything on F drive - is that normal?
I managed to get into F drive through recovery and copied a new ntoskernal.exe but it didn't change.

____
Tony

Date: January 22, 2010 05:42PM
ntoskrnl.exe errors and errors during Windows installation generally refer to either a hard drive problem or a RAM problem - most commonly the latter.
Date: January 22, 2010 08:39PM
ram, so back to (my poorly got at) square one :| the hd and ram are new, but the old ones are still plugged in. i thought all the problems were ram, so got new ram, got no improvement so kept both rams. then replaced mother board, now hd.
i'll try taking out the old ram and installing win2k again

____
Tony

Date: January 23, 2010 11:11AM
I wasn't going to reread the whole thread. :P

You've already done a memtest for a couple of hours with all the RAM currently in the machine? If so, then I'd scratch RAM off the list.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy