New Graphics

Posted by Monza972 
New Graphics
Date: September 24, 2009 06:01PM
Posted by: Monza972
Hi guys,

Mate of mines wants a new Graphics card, preferably for high intense gaming and an ATi. He's got a budget of around £70-£80

These are his specs

Any ideas? I've looked at Scan but I can't make heads or tail of all.

Hope you can help,

Monil :)
Re: New Graphics
Date: September 24, 2009 06:35PM
Posted by: msater
[www.dabs.com]

That's the graphics card I would like; in Total PCGaming, it got 7 out of 10, so it's not bad. He might also want some more RAM, may be 2-4gb.

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Date: September 24, 2009 06:59PM
Posted by: Daniel Knott
I don't feel dixons would approve of your computer name

H E L L O
Date: September 24, 2009 07:47PM
Posted by: gav
Truth? Tell him to save up for longer. The rest of the system is archaic.

It's hard to recommend a card when we don't even know if it's PCIe or AGP... or if it has either slot.

Chances are it'll have a PCIe 16x slot (at least mechanically, which is the important bit), in which case the best card for that budget is a HD 4770 and by some distance, but even then it depends on 2 more things. Will it fit (it won't if it's a slim system, unless it has a riser card... which is extremely unlikely) and can the PSU deliver enough power consistently? As an aside to the last bit, the HD 4770 requires a 6-pin cable from the PSU to provide additional power - the HD 4670 doesn't, but that doesn't mean the PSU will be able to power it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2009 07:48PM by gav.
Date: September 24, 2009 09:29PM
What you're saying pretty much makes sense. (It always does anyways)

Thing is, he's not sure whether he'll be getting a whole new pc or sticking with the one he's got. I'll speak to him tomorrow and see what he says. I'll get him to post a picture of the motherboard or something and see how it goes.

Thanks for the Quick response :)
Date: September 24, 2009 11:11PM
Posted by: harjinator
while this thread's here, is a HD4850 a good buy (for the just under £100 budget area) or is there something better out there?

I need a short card because my case is endlessly stupid (my X1950 Pro just fits... once i cut a chunk out of the drive cage), and i saw some on Ebuyer for around 93 quid, which looked just about short enough...

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
Date: September 25, 2009 12:17AM
Posted by: gin
harjinator Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> while this thread's here, is a HD4850 a good buy
> (for the just under £100 budget area) or is there
> something better out there?
>
> I need a short card because my case is endlessly
> stupid (my X1950 Pro just fits... once i cut a
> chunk out of the drive cage), and i saw some on
> Ebuyer for around 93 quid, which looked just about
> short enough...

I recently bought a bit older card, 4770, but I can run most games from last year at full settings. Only exceptions are poorly optimized games like ARMA 2 and GTA 4, where i have to switch off shadows and things. For the price its very good card, also dont forget that that system is pretty archaic, as someone said, this card is perfect for it, in fact you may not even get the full benefit from it as that computers RAM and CPU will be bottle necking the system.

Date: September 25, 2009 01:10AM
Posted by: ralv585
tell your friends to man up and get a 5870, buy two and crossfire them.

add an i7 975, custom loop and you'll be sorted, you'll be able to play sims 3 in all its glory!

Date: September 25, 2009 09:01AM
harjinator Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> while this thread's here, is a HD4850 a good buy
> (for the just under £100 budget area) or is there
> something better out there?

The HD 4770 is better value. Similar performance (a few FPS slower or faster depending on the game) while being ~£75. It's also shorter, cooler, quieter and uses less power.
Date: September 25, 2009 08:47PM
So I asked him about the PCI Slot and the MoBo and the PSU. He doesn't know what any of the things are. Which makes the thing a little annoying. I told him to get me a CPU-Z report.

Also told him to ditch the upgrade since the PC he's got is from E-Systems and since it's made by a company rather than himself, the PSU's not likely to support it due to the 4-pin or 6-pin that he'll need to put into the card. I'll wait on the report but I've told him to just ditch it until he gets a new one or preferably builds a new one
Date: September 25, 2009 09:55PM
Posted by: mika19b
Slightly OT but have you all seen the new ATI Radeon 5870 1GB? All im gonna say is wow, its the card to get if your after building a powerful new gaming PC. It appears to have 2x the performance of the 4870!
Date: September 25, 2009 10:47PM
Yeah, it's fairly epic. Very frugal with the power, cool, quiet, stupidly quick. It's got the lot. The upcoming HD 5770 and 5750 look intriguing too. The only problem is, with no competition, prices are higher than they could be.

The X2 version is huge though. It won't fit in the majority of towers, but then it's not meant for the majority of towers... it's an enthusiast part, and it ought to be slotted into enthusiast chassis. It's not meant for the P180.

Will be interesting to see what Nvidia counter with, as they can't afford to just make everything bigger this time, as they did with the GTX2xx... they've been living off of the same design since the 8800GTX.
Date: September 25, 2009 10:57PM
I asked him for the CPU-Z right now since he was on msn. He tells me he's solved it with an NVidia card he got off a mate. Thanks for telling me that before. He's gonna be getting a few words from me on Monday :@
Date: September 25, 2009 10:59PM
Posted by: mika19b
Yeah the price does seem a little on the silly side but I suppose in time they will drop quite quickly, especially if Nvidia release a new much improved card.

I think Nvidia might be slightly worried by ATI's latest card though ;)

Edit:// Also Gav I never did reply to your kind offer of looking at my PC did I? Well anyway thanks for the offer mate but I decided Im gonna use this as an excuse to slowly build up a new PC for gaming. Think Im going to base it around the Core i5 and ATI 5000 Series, I have Win 7 Home Premium 64bit ordered up to go with the 8GB DDR3 I plan on getting :)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2009 11:07PM by mika19b.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy