is the braking method in karting is the same when driving on a formula car?

Posted by micky-cannonball 
This question is for those who is a past race karters here(or not), and had been driven or been a driver of a formula car?(formula bmw etc..). I mean, seriously? and it is okey too stick your bumper to the kart infront of you when your gonna over take him? and when before braking in karting, do a kart driver naturally lean forward his head?
thx

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2009 02:28PM by micky-cannonball.

Can't..........resist........temptation.........

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
and when before braking in karting, do a kart driver naturally lean forward his head?

Don't think you understand what is going on. The driver isn't putting his head forward. It is being moved forward by the G-Forces acting on the car and driver.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
DaveEllis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> and when before braking in karting, do a kart
> driver naturally lean forward his head?
>
> Don't think you understand what is going on. The
> driver isn't putting his head forward. It is being
> moved forward by the G-Forces acting on the car
> and driver.

Yes mainly due to G-forces but when I kart, on some corners where im lacking front grip, I tend to force my weight forward thus looking like my head is leading forward as I try to put more weight onto the front tyres so I can turn in early and slide the back around. ( this is due to my driving style)

Do you also stick your tongue out and move it around when writing your name?

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Are you serious?????

I think you'll find most karters will "push" the kart in front...
Even in karts there is a slipstreaming effect so 2 karts can work better than 1 and go faster together...
You'll probably find that the driver is leaning forward to create a better streamline position.. (the same as when a motorbike rider will get as low as possible when in a straightline) has nothing to do with shifting weight!!! If it were you'd have to lean over the wheel whilst cornering... pretty sure thats more likely to fire you off the track more than anything else.....

"Racing is LIFE. Anything before or after is just waiting"
Steve McQueen.
bazza_racer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are you serious?????
>
> I think you'll find most karters will "push" the
> kart in front...
> Even in karts there is a slipstreaming effect so 2
> karts can work better than 1 and go faster
> together...
> You'll probably find that the driver is leaning
> forward to create a better streamline position..
> (the same as when a motorbike rider will get as
> low as possible when in a straightline) has
> nothing to do with shifting weight!!! If it were
> you'd have to lean over the wheel whilst
> cornering... pretty sure thats more likely to fire
> you off the track more than anything else.....

yes you also duck your head whilst slipsteaming as you said, but it doesnt make too much of a difference.

And FYI, it is possible to shift weight in a kart to get desired grip, you should try it one time instead of stating things you dont know on here.

Whatever... I wont be baited into an argument here...
And trust me I probably know an awful lot more about how to drive a kart or car than you!

Yes you are right about the streamlining being minimal... but the guy asked why they do it... he never asked if it worked... and surely you don't actually lean forward going into the corner... Are you not better off being sat in a more comfortable position so you can control the kart easier. Thus not need needing to turn in early??? and anyone knows that the fastest way to drive anything is to do it smoothly... not sliding the back round if you can help it.

"Racing is LIFE. Anything before or after is just waiting"
Steve McQueen.
Sliding the back on certain corners, iv also been in local karting championships so im no noob either.

Na i dont want to argue either, sorry if my other post looked OTT, i was not in a good mood then! lol

But im just saying, you can use your weight to control the kart too, mainly in the wet its an advantage.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy