Requesting help to chose a new processor!

Posted by iCeMaN pAuL 
Requesting help to chose a new processor!
Date: August 03, 2009 07:18PM
Posted by: iCeMaN pAuL
As the title says! I'd like to think I can upgrade my computer a little before I make the switch to Windows 7.

At the moment I'm looking at getting what I believe to be my computer's weakest point - it's precessor, which is an AMD Athlon 64 3800+ 2.4GHz.

Can anyone recommend a good upgrade for this? Budget is tight as always, don't want anything upwards of £100. But to be honest I'd like to think I could pick up a decent upgrade for less than that, but will need some advice! :)

My processor slot is 'Socket AM2' by the way.

[en-gb.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2009 07:20PM by iCeMaN pAuL.
Re: Requesting help to chose a new processor!
Date: August 03, 2009 09:44PM
Posted by: gav
What's your motherboard? Going to have to check what CPUs it supports, as if it won't support the recent Phenom II-based chips it's a pointless upgrade.
Date: August 04, 2009 02:11PM
is there an easy way of finding that out?! :P

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Date: August 04, 2009 03:20PM
Hopefully it'll hold this information, but download, install (untick the Ask toolbar option) and run CPU-Z. Go to the motherboard tab, take a screenshot and upload the picture somewhere.

This is mine - it's this screen that I'll need.

Alternatively, it'll be written on the motherboard somewhere.
Date: August 04, 2009 03:51PM
Ok, cheers for that link gav. Here you go:

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Date: August 04, 2009 05:02PM
Oh. Erm... well... I guess you could upgrade to a dual-core Athlon X2 (one of the X2 CPUs here). The problem is, it's impossible to know if the motherboard will support it until you put the chip in.

Packard Bell released 2 BIOS updates, which ought to help compatibility. Get 0206 (Vista) here.

It's still a bit of a risk though, but I suppose you could ebay the new CPU if it doesn't work in your motherboard.

Whether it's worth it or not I don't know. Obviously dual-core is better in a modern OS for all manner of reasons, but I'm questioning whether it's a decent value upgrade for what you get. I'd be more inclined to say stick with what you've got and wait and upgrade when you can afford a new system, or at least the basic upgrade (CPU, motherboard & RAM).
Date: August 04, 2009 05:10PM
yeah it says here [support.packardbell.com] what it'll support. ok well thanks for your advice! (Y)

without upgrading computer, this looks like the best update i could go for(?) [www.ebuyer.com]

[en-gb.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2009 05:14PM by iCeMaN pAuL.
Date: August 04, 2009 05:21PM
Unless I'm missing it, then no it doesn't - it only says what will physically fit. There are multiple revisions of CPUs, and while all AM2 CPUs should work in theory, it's not often that simple.

So yeah... if you buy a CPU it should work, but only do so on the proviso that there's perhaps a 25% chance it won't.

And I reiterate that if money isn't floating around, that I'd be tempted to wait until you have a bit more and make a proper upgrade to one of the Phenom II setups, Core i5 (coming along in the next month or 2) or even a previous generation such as a Core2 dual or quad CPU.
Date: August 04, 2009 05:28PM
ah right ok then. just to be awkward, out of the ones on this page [wheretobuy.amd.com] which would you say it best lmao :P

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Date: August 04, 2009 05:47PM
The best is normally the one with the highest number. ;-)

You're determined to upgrade regardless, aren't you? ;)

If so, I'd get the 5200+ from the list I posted earlier. This one for a more direct link.

How much RAM does your system have, as you'll probably notice more of a performance bump if you upgrade that?

//edit: The CPU with the most chance of being compatible is the 4200+ X2 on that list you linked to. Ebuyer also have the 4000+ X2 for £35. Both actually have a slower clockspeed than your current CPU though, so only multithreaded applications would gain anything.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2009 05:51PM by gav.
Date: August 04, 2009 07:28PM
lmao i am ;) currently i have 1.50GB, but i'm going to upgrade to 4GB dual-channel

edit: which means i may wanna try windows 7 64bit if my processor will support it..

[en-gb.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2009 07:29PM by iCeMaN pAuL.
Date: August 04, 2009 08:00PM
CPU will certainly support it. They're called Athlon64s for a reason. ;-)

I question your logic a lot more if you're buying both a CPU and RAM though... it's getting to the point where you might as well buy a motherboard too and move up to a faster platform, rather than just tweaking your rather old one.
Date: August 05, 2009 01:07PM
would you be able to recommend a good motherboard?

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Date: August 05, 2009 01:27PM
I presume you're not using the onboard graphics?

Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5200 - £50

+

Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L - £34

+

Corsair TwinX XMS2 2x2GB - £40
Date: August 05, 2009 02:49PM
nah i've got an ati radeon 4670

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy