Annoying computer issue

Posted by airefresco 
Re: Annoying computer issue
Date: July 12, 2009 07:02PM
Posted by: mika19b
I usually get the Hard Drives and Software last when I build a rig, so by doing that I should have a good chance of getting maybe a couple of decent SSD's if the prices continue to drop nicely :)

Would be willing to save up a bit longer and get two 1xxGB maybe.
Date: July 12, 2009 10:36PM
Posted by: gav
Just stick with 1 SSD as a boot drive and match it with a big, normal data drive.
Date: July 13, 2009 07:57PM
Ok cheers :)
Date: July 13, 2009 10:05PM
How about this for a normal HDD? ;) [www.tomshardware.co.uk]
Date: July 13, 2009 10:07PM
Posted by: Guimengo
"Worried about durability? Seagate claims that the new Cheetah 15K.7 can run at 15,000 RPMs for up 1.6 million hours. To put 1.6 million hours into perspective, that's:

- 66,667 days
- 182.6 years
- 1.826 centuries"

Wow :P.
Date: July 18, 2009 10:06AM
Posted by: airefresco
A little update. I have been running with a different power supply for 6 days now. I was just adding to the thread and got as far as " I don´t want to jinx things but" and the then the computer froze again. Should of kept my mouth shut really. So It´s not the power supply either then.

I´m now at the point where I know it´s not software related, power supply, memory, UPS or the DVD drive. That only leaves things that I´m going to have to pay for to try. Although my new soundcard should be here today, so I think i´ll give that a try first, just in case it is the soundcard. After that i´m not sure where to go next. I´m thinking the hard drive would probably be the next thing, although any input would be greatly received.
Re: Annoying computer issue - SOLVED
Date: August 11, 2009 09:40AM
I´ve been running 3 weeks with a new hard drive and not had one single problem. So it looks like it was a faulty drive.

Thanks to all that helped
Date: August 14, 2009 09:51AM
Posted by: Willb
No problem, this was a wierd one as when its HD related quite often just before, or when the Machine freeses you'd hear the HD "click" and / or reset itself. Anyway, now your all sorted thats great news :)

Help keep our forums tidy.

Use the search function...
Date: August 17, 2009 01:32AM
Posted by: turkey_machine
Guimengo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Worried about durability? Seagate claims that the
> new Cheetah 15K.7 can run at 15,000 RPMs for up
> 1.6 million hours. To put 1.6 million hours into
> perspective, that's:
>
> - 66,667 days
> - 182.6 years
> - 1.826 centuries"
>
>
>
> Wow :P.

2 problems with that. 1) it's "up to 1.6m hours". 2) it's Seagate.

No thanks! ;)

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: August 19, 2009 11:15PM
Gonna use this thread again instead of making yet another PC thread.

Right at some point soon (maybe Christmas or just after) I plan on upgrading my PC. If you see my earlier post's you will see what I plan on getting, cheers to Gav for the info he provided me.

Now my question is according to the Gigabyte website my Motherbaord supports the new AM2 and AM3 processors with a Bios upgrade which I have already done.

What is better about AM3 over AM2? I can't see any real difference other than the AM3 has 2MB more Cache :/

AMD Phenom II X4 940 3GHz Socket AM2+ [www.ebuyer.com]

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition 3.2 GHz Socket AM3 [www.ebuyer.com]
Date: August 19, 2009 11:43PM
Posted by: Willb
If you dont mind me saying isn't it a bit premature for an xmas / after xmas build.. New stuff will probably be available by then ;)

Help keep our forums tidy.

Use the search function...
Date: August 19, 2009 11:50PM
Willb Wrote:
> If you dont mind me saying isn't it a bit
> premature for an xmas / after xmas build.. New
> stuff will probably be available by then ;)

Only plan on upgrading what my motherboard can take ;)

Not after a total rebuild :)
Date: August 21, 2009 01:23AM
Anyone know the difference?
Date: August 21, 2009 06:42PM
Posted by: gav
mika19b Wrote:
> What is better about AM3 over AM2?

Nothing really. They're pretty much the same CPU, but the memory controller (on the CPU itself) can support both DDR2 and DDR3 on the AM3 CPUs.

Given that DDR3 is more expensive than DDR2, that your board can only support DDR2 anyway and you already have you RAM, just get whatever is cheaper or best for you. Of the examples you posted, the AM2+ does have half the cache and is missing 200MHz, but it's not going to make much difference at all. The AM3 one is a Black Edition CPU too, so the multiplier is unlocked, making overclocking even more of a piece of piss than normal, should you want to at some point in the future.

For the record, AM2+ CPUs won't work or fit in an AM3 motherboard, while the AM3 CPUs do work in most AM2+ motherboards.
Date: August 22, 2009 12:00AM
Cheers for the info :)
Date: September 21, 2009 07:28PM
It´s back :(

Everything is the same as before except I have a new hard drive now and I´m running Windows 7 on it instead of XP. It´s working fine since I replaced the drive about 2 months ago. Yesterday it crashed in Chrome, just like it used to do before. Then just now it crashed just after it had booted up. I was even doing anything, exactly like it used to do.

Anyone any ideas? It´s funny how it´s been alright for such a long time then suddenly starts again.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy