Mac or PC

Posted by S75351 
Mac or PC
Date: June 25, 2009 10:10AM
Posted by: S75351
Hi,

I need to update my laptop, and am currently using XP.

Is it worth getting a Apple Macbook and being able to run Windows as well or should I get a higher speced PC?? I will be using it for web browsing, multimedia, and a few games. My budget is a measly AU$1650, or I think 600 pounds.

Please no anti-Apple replies, only from a neutral point of view!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2009 11:11AM by S75351.
Re: Mac or PC
Date: June 25, 2009 12:04PM
Posted by: NickKK
I like macs for graphics/photo editing work. But it seems silly to me to buy an expensive machine, then cripple it by emulating windows on it instead of just buying a decent PC in the first place.

Date: June 25, 2009 02:01PM
Posted by: Zcott
Gotta agree: buying a mac to run windows is a bit silly. If you're not a hardcore gamer, get a mac and use OSX. I made the switch six months ago and i don't regret it.

Date: June 25, 2009 05:52PM
Posted by: SpaceAce
[wiki.osx86project.org]

GPGSL WDC Season 4
Date: June 25, 2009 07:28PM
Posted by: harjinator
i had the same dilemma a few months ago. Ended up with an Acer 6930G, which now also has Mac OSx on an external hard drive. best of both worlds!

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
Date: June 25, 2009 10:40PM
Posted by: senninho
Tbh you sound like a similar user to me. I have an iMac with a small partition for Windows, which is basically just rFactor and Steam.

If there are any other Windows non-game apps you think you'd miss, just install Parallels and run them 'natively' within OS X.

Date: June 26, 2009 01:11AM
Thanks!!! Great help!!

I may need to run some Windows apps on a Mac if I get one, so I will probably have to run a Windows partition. I will only get one though in September when Snow Leopard.

Date: June 26, 2009 02:40AM
There are a couple of apps like Parallels or Crossover which should allow you to run Windows apps within OSX. Also, Snow Leopard will be fantastic.

Date: June 26, 2009 08:35AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Could just buy Windows and not have to get an app to run programs :P

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: June 26, 2009 12:58PM
Although it's slightly out of your price range, the new entry-level MacBook Pro (13" screen, 2.26C2D, 160gb HDD, 7 hour battery life, 2gb RAM) isn't a bad machine at all and well worth considering.

Date: June 26, 2009 01:58PM
Posted by: matt3454
I find the Mac pricing extortionate though. I have a Dell Vostro 1510, it runs mac os x and windows 7 perfectly. This laptop cost me £270 over a year ago. For the same specs a simply macbook would have cost over £700!!!

Date: June 26, 2009 04:18PM
Yeah, it is more expensive, no denying that. But I imagine the similar specced MacBook will probably last longer than that piece of plastic you have...;-)

Date: June 26, 2009 04:46PM
Posted by: gav
Yeah, cos it's the plastic that stops the chips working. :P
Date: June 26, 2009 07:14PM
Posted by: Ferrari_Fuhrer
I'd go for a Mac personally. I don't have one, but I'm going to buy a new 15" Macbook Pro when Snow Leopard comes out. You'll be lucky to get a Macbook for £600 though...

[Website]
Date: June 27, 2009 03:15AM
Thanks!

I might be able to stretch to the Pro, but otherwise its the normal MacBook or a Dell.

If I do buy a Dell, I heard about warranty and repair problems, and Dell doesnt care. Are those rumors true??

Date: June 27, 2009 03:36AM
Posted by: harjinator
well, if work's machine are anything to go by, Dells are best avoided at all costs. I do hear the 1545 is supposed to be the better budget option though. and tbh, as long as you don't give it too much abuse, any computer/laptop should last. even a macbook will break if you drop it for example... (as my mate found out..._

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
Date: June 27, 2009 09:42AM
Posted by: gav
S75351 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I might be able to stretch to the Pro, but
> otherwise its the normal MacBook or a Dell.

A monitor of mine died a death last summer, a month inside the warranty ending. Gave Dell a call and got a Scottish bloke (ironically harder to understand than the Indian call centres ;)) who arranged to have my broken one replaced by a better model the next day. Made the call at 2pm, bloke in a van replaced mine before 9am the next day.

I can't complain at that.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy