iPhone 3G S & Tariffs - Anyone Work For o2?

Posted by Willb 
iPhone 3G S & Tariffs - Anyone Work For o2?
Date: June 16, 2009 07:21PM
Posted by: Willb
Hey all,

With the release of the iPhone 3g S just over a day away now, is anyone planning on getting one?
I've been waiting for ages for this gen iPhone (i'm stuck with a 2g iPhone as I couldn't afford the 3g upgrade!) in the hope that they may lower / improve the tariffs, which of course they didnt do :( .

Also does anyone work for o2, or know if there are any ways to get discounts on o2 contracts (I had a friend of a friend that worked for McDonald's who said he could get about 20-25% off on any o2 contract - pitty I didn't know him!!!!)

Cheers,

Willb

Help keep our forums tidy.

Use the search function...
Re: iPhone 3G S & Tariffs - Anyone Work For o2?
Date: June 16, 2009 08:09PM
Posted by: Guimengo
I'd help with the McDonald's discount but having a discount with O2 I believe is something only available on the UK office :(.
Date: June 16, 2009 08:27PM
Posted by: Zcott
I'd love one but I still have about 9 months left on my 3G contract. I want to give O2 money, but they don't seem to want it.

Date: June 16, 2009 10:46PM
Thanks GUI, yeah pity your not in the UK!

Zcott, you can give it to me instead ;).

Im quite excited about the 3g s even though its pretty much identical to the 3g (which I dont have), the extra responsiveness would be very nice if their claims are correct, i find i regulally have to wait about 3 seconds when loading the sms app :(

Date: June 17, 2009 01:08PM
Posted by: sasjag
i should be getting one - although i'm still undecided whether or not to go for the 3Gs or 3G, i can't see that much difference between the two

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: June 17, 2009 02:48PM
Visually I think they are identical bar the camera, and the 3g S has a slightly better battery, otherwise:

Compare iPhone 3g and 3G S

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2009 02:49PM by Willb.
Date: June 17, 2009 03:56PM
Posted by: sasjag
just been and got the 3G. Win.

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: June 17, 2009 04:49PM
:)

Date: June 18, 2009 01:07AM
Posted by: MattB
Willb Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Zcott, you can give it to me instead ;).

Thats what she said.

Date: June 19, 2009 12:53AM
Just as a side note on this thread: anyone who has updated to 3.0 or got themselves a shiny new 3G S, you can enable tethering for free over at [www.engadget.com] . Works fine, I tested it earlier and saves you paying [expensive carrier] more money to download stuff you should be able to download for free.

Date: June 19, 2009 01:59AM
Yes however they will VERY easily be able to tell if you are teathering as the browser headers will not be those of Safari for iPhone will they ;-). Pwned?

Edit: Looks like they already have:

From that Engadet Page: "Update 2: Techradar reports that O2 UK has responded to the tethering hack saying, "we reserve the right to charge customers making modem use of their iPhone or disconnect them." This assumes O2 can identify such customers."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2009 02:01AM by Willb.
Date: June 20, 2009 03:01PM
Not so true: what's stopping you using some of the other apps to browse the web? Most of the Twitter clients have a built in browser on the iPhone...

Pwned?

Date: June 20, 2009 04:19PM
Posted by: matt3454
Might have to get one on payg or something, as i already have a sim only contract which has very generous texts/mins for £10 p/m.

All seems very expensive though.

Date: June 20, 2009 07:39PM
Zcott Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not so true: what's stopping you using some of the
> other apps to browse the web? Most of the Twitter
> clients have a built in browser on the iPhone...
>
> Pwned?

Er, no, if you knew what you were talking about (;)) they DONT have their own browser atall. Part of the iPhone Dev Kit rules state that any developer must NOT create / impliment a web browser.
They all interface with Mobile Safari i believe.

Pwned yourself :)

And of course if they see firefox or opera headers, there guna figure it out ;).
Oh yeah, they may also be able to tell just by looking at your usage history.... Previous month 10mb used, this month 100mb as you donwload all those full, non mobile versions of websites and other stuff you may want to save with a teathered laptop.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2009 07:39PM by Willb.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy